• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the greatest human in history and certainly better than Eddy Merckx thread

Page 490 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I think they obviously pay some appearance fees, but I wouldn't think it's multi million deals.

I think that's about to change, though. According to Lefevere there is a meeting with RCS in Milan on October 7 or 8 - the team managers will be invited, if I understand correctly (standard fare, I guess?) but also that they have an announcement to make. He thinks he already knows what they have to say.

Lefevere: "Word on the streets is that they (RCS) sold their races to (private equity firm) CVC. "

The host asks if that means more money (higher appearance fees). Lefevere certainly seems to think so.

it's in Sporza's De Tribune podcast, in Dutch. Close to the bottom of this page, from 33:33 onwards:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I refuse to believe that article is serious.

Below 0% chance this happens.

EDIT: ok so if I'm correct it's just Lefevere waffling about Ineos guys texting him lol? Is that it?
That, plus Ratcliffe's apparent desperation with finding a guy who can win him a Tour de France immediately. That could check out, given INEOS' GC situation, where literally everyone with aspirations is a question mark, being either old, unproven or having severe health issues. If that's true, anything is possible. Ratcliffe has stupid money. Lefevere holds all the cards, however, since Remco is under contract until 2027. But if Lefevere names a price (which he will not do), anything is possible. If Ratcliffe wants to make this a transfer comparable to football standards, he can.

The article relies heavily on some apparent issues in regards to bonuses between QS and Remco, however, and that is what makes me very much doubt it. Even in the off chance there were problems present, Bakala and Soudal would step in immediately without hesitation.

I think there is a bigger chance they can poach Vingegaard from Jumbo, than there is to lure Evenepoel away from QuickStep, if Ineos want a guy that can perform at the TDF immediately.
  • Evenepoel has stated repeatedly he wants to stay with the team throughout his career and that money is not a deciding factor. Obviously this gets thrown around all the time by any athlete, but for Evenepoel who is really into the whole wolfpack thing, i actually think it's true. He seems to fit well within the team and the group.
  • Take Evenepoel away and QuickStep is nearly non-existent for the moment. Asgreen, Alaphilippe, Jakobsen... combined don't even come close to Evenepoel's 2022.
  • Soudal and Quickstep, starting 2023, are putting down the big bucks to build a Belgian GC team, which would especially initially revolve around Evenepoel. The only possibility is that they could immediately scoop up Uijtdebroeks at Bora to replace Evenepoel, and build further around him, as it has become apparent that the team is not strong enough yet, and won't be for 2023 either, to control a GT. That move would buy them another 2 years or so, as Uijtdebroeks himself only turns 20 in January. I expect big improvements by Van Wilder still, who is lagging in development due to DSM and crashes, and while i am convinced he has at least as much talent as guys like Sivakov or Hart, he still has some ways to go before he can play a role as a contender for more than a top 10.
Can't see it happening.

I knew that INEOS was very interested. But I am sure that was before all the end of year success happened. It was being commented in several podcasts. They were very confident that they could turn Remco into a winner and I was sure of that too. But QS really did a good job with him and I think is too late now. It would be very hard to get him out of that team. I mean, how much money do you want to throw at him just to put him on your team. It would be almost soccer money, and I don't think that is happening.

The answer from Evenepoel sr was interesting:
"Is a transfer not an option? "I do not know. Remco has a five-year contract with Quick.Step”, says Patrick Evenepoel. “It's not up to me to talk."
Lefeveres comment even more:
"Someone who is cheated on is always the last to know"

I think he knows something's up. Maybe we should Axel Merckx' opinion.

• Wow
INEOS do have that kind of money though. If they really do want immediate success, who are they supposed to go for? Pogacar won't be any cheaper, Vingegaard won't be cheap either and is older than both. No one else comes close as far as I can tell.

They have plenty of guys who can make top 5 bot are lacking a superman like they used to have with Froome and have been for a while. Perhaps they really will be crazy enough to throw insane amounts of cash at Evenepoel.

INEOS do have that kind of money though. If they really do want immediate success, who are they supposed to go for? Pogacar won't be any cheaper, Vingegaard won't be cheap either and is older than both. No one else comes close as far as I can tell.

They have plenty of guys who can make top 5 bot are lacking a superman like they used to have with Froome and have been for a while. Perhaps they really will be crazy enough to throw insane amounts of cash at Evenepoel.
Plenty of guys? In 2023? Who exactly?
Yates and Carapaz will leave.
Thomas will be 37 at next year's TdF.
Porte is out
Bernals full recovery isn't a certainty yet.
Martinez was disappointing in this year's TdF.
That leaves Sivakov, Rodriguez and Arensman.

• Wow
Remco is in a position of power and can ask for more money at Quickstep, since he is the reason why they got a long term sponsorship deal. He has Lefevre by the balls, as the later would probably put it...
Remco has a contract for the next bajillion years.

Unless we're gonna get football practices where guys stop showing up to force a move he ain't going anywhere. Besides, if he wants more green I'm sure he can milk Belgian sponsor deals.

Reactions: Samamba
Remco is in a position of power and can ask for more money at Quickstep, since he is the reason why they got a long term sponsorship deal. He has Lefevre by the balls, as the later would probably put it...
Unless the contract contains some sort of release clause or his terms include legal reason for termination if a prerequisite isn't met, the only one in power is Lefevere. The contract of Remco doesn't run out until December 31st 2026. Lefevere can ask whatever he so desires.

Reactions: Samamba
It’s pretty obvious that INEOS have been and will try any major signing they can. Supposedly Poga last year, and this year Remco. In either case, it’s just not going to happen, hence I always thought that poaching Rogla was a much more obvious option for INEOS - yes it doesn’t guarantee a TdF victory, but normally would guarantee a discussion for any GT podium. Yes, Rodriguez and Arensman can we’ll step up, but they don’t have (yet) the consistency of results to guarantee that.

Back to Remco - the only way he would leave imho is if asks for a contract renewal, as should be expected after this year’s fenomenal performances, and Patrick plays cheap and he feels misvalued. Yes, PL has done that in the past, see Almeida’s saga, but that was much much different - he wasn’t a monument winner, GT winner, world champion nor Belgian’s national hero. I know that Remco says that he doesn’t care about the money, and I can believe that to a point, but everyone wants to feel appreciated and valued. Saying that, not gonna happen, PL is stupid but not by that much.