• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 685 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
You're knocking at the wrong door.. Straw man fallacy.
My criticism is mostly directed at Remco fans. I think he's very talended, although not very bright and cocky. And Remco fans help creating a public persona for Remco himself. This is clear.
Pogacar is in a different league in terms of talent and showmanship. For the momento there is no comparison whatsoever that doesn't get punched KO.
Other riders choose to ride in terms of strategy because they know themselves better than Remco. Remco himself as acknowledge how he has made mistakes while riding.
An example is how since Volta a Catalunya the Remco fanbase has been insisting of Roglic riding defensively. Other fans, not necessarily affilitated with Roglic's, have trampled such readings multiple ways and multiple times.
No need to think like this.
But Roglic is always riding defensively against strong opponents. In the wheels and sometimes attacking in the last km of a climb or an uphill finish. He has only attacked from far when confronted with weaker opponents. Of course his full right. Concerning the Evenepoel fans. I think they are just very moderate taking into account the anti-supporters of Evenepoel. Confronted with the almost daily dredge and hate messages of those antisupporters. Why act against a rider ? Or you are a neutral spectator and enjoy cycling. Or you are a fan of one or more riders and you respect the opponents. Of course you don't have to like them. Myself having respect and admiration of the skills (explosiveness and uphill finishcapacities) of Roglic. But I don't like the way he competes in general and I don't like his personality. No problem at all.

Reactions: Elos Anjos
With Evenepoel, it comes as part of a package. Since 2020 Evenepoel has 38 wins, Alaphilippe has 10. Since 2022 those numbers are far worse, with 21 for Evenepoel and 3 for Alaphilippe. So that comparison doesn't really makes sense imho.

My point is that Lefevere doesn't seem to value the WC so much that he's willing to put everything else aside for that. So not riding the Vuelta for instance in order to win it again, I don't understand it from that point of view.

In the same way you don't mention Rogla's injury before the Vuelta?
After his crash in the Tour, together with Vingegaard, he destroyed Pogacar. He was diminished, but still in good shape. Because Vingegaard was the better of his teammate, the team decided to take him out of the race and send him to the Vuelta later on. After recovering a bit and preparing the Vuelta, he suffered no longer of an injury and was in topshape, making impression (and win) the team TT and winning a stage with an uphill finish. So, don't fool me. Afterwards, he was beaten twice by Evenepoel. In the rain and in the heat.

You were replying to CyclistAbi. Not Elos Anjos. The latter is a troll, the former is not.

In a universe where cause and effect play no role. The only reason why Roglic had those 4 seconds, was because Evenepoel was behind on boniseconds and needed to take action multiple times, with Roglic sitting in the wheel. Without boniseconds, Evenpoel would have been in the lead after his first stagewin by 2 seconds, and it would have been Roglic who needed to take action.
Whatever you say. My advice is to let others think for themselves. It works wonders.
How come you have a face to show up here pretending to be serious after defending that Remco's crash was not his fault and then seeing how Remco himself appologized?

After his crash in the Tour, together with Vingegaard, he destroyed Pogacar. He was diminished, but still in good shape. Because Vingegaard was the better of his teammate, the team decided to take him out of the race and send him to the Vuelta later on. After recovering a bit and preparing the Vuelta, he suffered no longer of an injury and was in topshape, making impression (and win) the team TT and winning a stage with an uphill finish. So, don't fool me. Afterwards, he was beaten twice by Evenepoel. In the rain and in the heat.
Ah, this is what a peak impartial cycling fan looks like, lol.

Whatever you say. My advice is to let others think for themselves. It works wonders.
How come you have a face to show up here pretending to be serious after defending that Remco's crash was not his fault and then seeing how Remco himself appologized?
Learn. To. Read.
I never said Evenepoel was not at fault, i said he was not the only one at fault.
If Evenepoel apologising is proof of him being at fault, then Kirsch apologising (which he did) is proof of him also being at fault. So you just proved my point. K thx bye and better luck next time.

Maybe some of the fans here with more knowledge on his team and his surroundings can add an opinion. QS might not be the best team for Remco. They could be making a huge mistake here. A "Classics" focus coach might not be the best for his interests. Just saying!

Maybe is late now but it is worth mentioning.

Being neutral myself, I never had expected Evenepoel would have won the Vuelta and the worlds. I had expected Evenepoel would have won the opening TT of the Giro, but not the way he did. It's so tiring to argue with people which are hugely negative towards some riders. In this case because of the appearence, the character, the personality, the eloquence, the nationality of Evenepoel ? Thank God we have in cyclism riders like Evenepoel and Pogacar. and not the likes of boring, defensive riders like Roglic, Thomas and even Vingegaard.
You doesn't sound neutral on Evenepoel. On the contrary, you sound like a true fan boy.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
He didn't say Evenepoel never attacks, he just said that Roglic also sometimes attacks. Though i would agree his attacks in last year's Vuelta, as well as this year's Giro are diminutive in comparison.
I don’t disagree with us. I don't think you’ll find a Roglic fan who doesn’t think Remco is an attacking rider, or even that Remco doesn’t have a history of more frequent long range attacks. To me that seems obvious truth. I also think Roglic was way off on the Fred Wright thing.

But Roglic has many, many wins, and he has attacked with panache many times. He has also smartly (and IMO misguidedly) ridden defensively at times and been rewarded (and punished) as a result. But at times Remco fans come across as thinking that Remco is god tier and Roglic a close to a puffed up domestique, fair or not.

Reactions: Sandisfan
As young and foolish as Remco was/is to have his dad as his agent, its almost unbelievable that he doesn't have a posse or someone in his ear telling him he is getting royally screwed over by Soudal and Pat.

PL should be commended, probably signed the greatest contract in the history of cycling (from team point of view)!

If this was any other high-level sport it would be playing out a lot differently. I mean even Ivan Sosa probably got a better payday lol!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The next few weeks will be crucial. If there is indeed no tour or vuelta for Remco in 2023, there are forces at work that are not alligned with his goals and his GT potential. I fear we will see more excuses in the future. SQS is a classics team by nature and Remco seems to be an exceptional fit for a broad range of them. I hope he can still steer SQS in the right direction or conclude and look for a team that supports him properly.

The next few weeks will be crucial. If there is indeed no tour or vuelta for Remco in 2023, there are forces at work that are not alligned with his goals and his GT potential. I fear we will see more excuses in the future. SQS is a classics team by nature and Remco seems to be an exceptional fit for a broad range of them. I hope he can still steer SQS in the right direction or conclude and look for a team that supports him properly.
Think it's more complicated than that. It's overall just levels weirder than "oh they're not a GT team."