• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 863 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Remco and Tadej are the best one-day day racers. If Remco signs with JV, he could continue this and probably be the best one-day rider. But if he wants to win stage races and grand tours, he should sign with Ineos. He only won one stage race this season (UAE Tour) and no grand tours. Jonas won all but one of his stage races (not counting the Vuelta). He would always have precedence over Remco, especially in the TDF. Any talk of "co-leaders" is garbage.

Remco and Tadej are the best one-day day racers. If Remco signs with JV, he could continue this and probably be the best one-day rider. But if he wants to win stage races and grand tours, he should sign with Ineos. He only won one stage race this season (UAE Tour) and no grand tours. Jonas won all but one of his stage races (not counting the Vuelta). He would always have precedence over Remco, especially in the TDF. Any talk of "co-leaders" is garbage.
That will depend on the performance numbers, which all pro teams consider. If his power numbers are consistent with GT success, he will get his chance. I'm not saying they are, but if he has them, then he will gett his chance. It's mathematical models over hiearchy. Of course, the management of talent is the tricky thing, but on the performance track record Jumbo is top of the game evidently. It also depends on the course. If the Tour brings back long, relatively flat, TTs, Remco has an opportunity, if he doesn't colapse in the mountains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Who knows what is fact or fiction in the reporting of the rumours relating to the merger/takeover but personally would like him on a different team to Jumbo purely from a sporting perspective. I am sure he has multiple offers and can name his price but the logical landing point if not Jumbo would be Ineos who also seem to have a number of slots in the roster and may be able to acommodate a fews Steppers

JV won't let Remco go just like that. Plugge wants to have him in the team: I think he and Skeletor are their priorities for the future (Primoz wasn't so they let him go but they won't do it with another superstar).

JV are not the paying agent of Remco so I don't think they have any say. UCI don't allow riders to be purchased like in Football and they set the team at 30 max, so if Jumbo register as Soudal-Visma they have to negotiate a new contract as the new paying agent of Remco. As that is being negotiated Remco is free to negotiate with all teams too and take his pick.

Free leases in exchange for publicity aka social media posts is a thing you know. I'm sure he has more opportunities than just pizza delivery.
Yeah but it’s not like when Audi and Nissan gave free cars to T-Mobile/Telekom and Radioshack-Trek respectively when they were also a sponsor of the team. As far as I know BMW isn’t a sponsor of Quickstep or Jumbo unless they’re being added on, nor is BMW a Belgium vehicle though it looks like it’s the most popular brand in Belgium.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah but it’s not like when Audi and Nissan gave free cars to T-Mobile/Telekom and Radioshack-Trek respectively when they were also a sponsor of the team. As far as I know BMW isn’t a sponsor of Quickstep or Jumbo unless they’re being added on, nor is BMW a Belgium vehicle though it looks like it’s the most popular brand in Belgium.

Quickstep has been using BMW's for quite a few years now, I'm sure they have some deal and Remco buying/getting a BMW is no coincidence.

I have no clue in this particular situation but riders do have individual sponsorships.

The best one day racer at the moment is van der poel.

JV are not the paying agent of Remco so I don't think they have any say. UCI don't allow riders to be purchased like in Football and they set the team at 30 max, so if Jumbo register as Soudal-Visma they have to negotiate a new contract as the new paying agent of Remco. As that is being negotiated Remco is free to negotiate with all teams too and take his pick.
In theory he is, but there also seems to be some kind of contract he has with Specialized. They're not moving to Jumbo to then find out their flagship rider isn't following along, I would assume.

Jonas is far and away the best GC guy on Planet Earth right now. Most guys at the top level can hold it for 4-6 years which means we should still have a few years of Jonas running the show. But the reality is, especially with how these teams approach the Tour, I am sure the big teams are figuring out Jonas' weaknesses the same way Jumbo did for Pog. The Jonas fans talk about him like he's going to win all three grand tours in the same year, win 8 Tours and maybe a few monuments just for the fun of it. Everyone is great when they're on top. Who knows. But I wouldn't count Remco out, especially on a team like Ineos. Plus, you don't think Remco will improve training with Ineos? Let's get real here, Remco on a team like Ineos is a scary prospect to someone like Jonas and Plugge. You don't believe me? Why else send 3 top riders to Spain when your only real competition is Remco. They did that because they know what Remco's ceiling is. And that was in a race with what, 25 k of individual time trials? Throw in more time trials and give him Ineos' marginal gains training approach and I am not saying he'll beat Jonas or even Pogacar or Roglic but he'll make them sweat.
Jonas vingegaard doesn't have weaknesses in grand tours, except his sprint, but it's not that important. He have weaknesses in races that he doesn't go, like one day races.

I hope he is smart and goes to INEOS
He will get well paid
Has top GT support at his disposal inc riders
And there wont be any competition for leadership with Jonas and Wout

Its no brainer really ...and he needs to target the Tour asap

During the Vuelta Johan Bruyneel was saying how Remco didn't have people in the car or on the team who knew how to win the Tour . Next day Remco ran him

The support staff at INEOS are top notch