• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 864 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
According to an Italian source, Remco Evenepoel would have met with Richard Plugge for 6 hours during the Giro d'Emilia and the two would have come to an agreement, not without some hesitation, that Remco agrees to go to Jumbo with the same agreement Vingegaard has at the Tour. This would be officially declared by 15 October. That is all.
So, probably Kuss will be the leader in the Giro 2024, because now remco evenepoel will be the super domestique of Vingegaard in the tour 2024.

So, probably Kuss will be the leader in the Giro 2024, because now remco evenepoel will be the super domestique of Vingegaard in the tour 2024.

If there's some flat ITT & punchy climbs in the first part of the Tour, then Evenepoel will be ahead of Vingegaard in GC.

I'm very curious to see how they manage this. It could be an opportunity for Rog & Pog to benefit from any 'complicated' situations at Visma Soudal.

Perhaps, but somehow I doubt he'd sign to that agreement. Bear in mind, it's just what I read. Who knows if it is true? Italian sources love intrigue. But if it is true, I'll be laughing my ass off, just because I read it first. If not, it adds flavor to the soup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
According to an Italian source, Remco Evenepoel would have met with Richard Plugge for 6 hours during the Giro d'Emilia and the two would have come to an agreement, not without some hesitation, that Remco agrees to go to Jumbo with the same agreement Vingegaard has at the Tour. This would be officially declared by 15 October. That is all.
How would you even have a 6 hour meeting? What would you be talking about?

9ioqsr4k17sb1.jpg

Maybe cycling, I don't know. Look, I'm only reporting an article. Could be fake news, but that's not the point. It was just something I hadn't read anywhere else. It seemed more like tabloid journalism, than a reliable outlet. But who knows? I'd be surprised if it's true, honestly, but it was worth relating.

Reactions: Sandisfan

They held the meeting in the Pyrenees. Evenepoel was on his bike, Plugge was in the team car. They told Evenepoel to ride solo the Aubisque-Tourmalet stage of the recent Vuelta 2023 with the target time of Jonas Vingegaard's stage victory.

If he matched that, he got a contract; if not, he was sent back to Lefevere's 'Quick-Step survivors' ragtag outfit.

They do things differently at Jumbo.

Not sure Evenepoel is going to be happy about the merger not going through. If he had a feeling SQS wasn't able to get the best out of him, he'll see next year as a lost year.
I agree, he's not going to be very happy. It won't be a complete lost year, as he'll still win some classics like LBL, possibly Tour de Flanders, La Fleche Wallone, Clasica San Sebastian, WC road race, Amstel Gold?, a high possiblity to win a few of those. I don't know which ones he'll pick cause of the training he'll have to do for the GT's and also the time he'll have to spen in high altitude training...He can always go for the Giro if he thinks Le Tour is fully covered up by Jumbo. Then there's always the week long races. One thing I'm sure is that whatever races he chooses he'll be aiming at victory, no podium or high placements will appease him. That's the way he rolls. A true champion.

They held the meeting in the Pyrenees. Evenepoel was on his bike, Plugge was in the team car. They told Evenepoel to ride solo the Aubisque-Tourmalet stage of the recent Vuelta 2023 with the target time of Jonas Vingegaard's stage victory.

If he matched that, he got a contract; if not, he was sent back to Lefevere's 'Quick-Step survivors' ragtag outfit.

They do things differently at Jumbo.

Oh man, Skeletor will be very surprised with all these changes when they wake him up from a lab hibernation.

Lol at 2203 being bad.

He was unlucky to get Covid at Giro. So no GT. Nevertheless the season has hardly been “bad”.

yeah, such a bad year he may end up with more PCS points than he earned last year

If a bad year is 5 GT stage wins, a monument, a classic, a WT stage race, 3 WT stage race stage wins, a 2nd and a 3rd in a WT stage race, and the WTT championship is a bad year, I'd love to see what a good Remco year is then. And this "bad year" is not finished

yeah, such a bad year he may end up with more PCS points than he earned last year

If a bad year is 5 GT stage wins, a monument, a classic, a WT stage race, 3 WT stage race stage wins, a 2nd and a 3rd in a WT stage race, and the WTT championship is a bad year, I'd love to see what a good Remco year is then. And this "bad year" is not finished
as the new Merckx, anything less than world #1 ranking is an off year