• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 962 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I have good news : Remco didn't break his scapula, only his collarbone.
I am reading this for the first time here because it seems not a single media outlet has picked up on this? Also the team hasn't communicated anything.

I understand the source is Patrick Evenepoel who said it in a podcast. I haven't heard the podcast myself but can we be sure about this and it couldn't be that he meant that the fracture didn't need an operation or something like that?

Anyway, if true it would be very good news and he's probably already back on the rollers.

I am reading this for the first time here because it seems not a single media outlet has picked up on this? Also the team hasn't communicated anything.

I understand the source is Patrick Evenepoel who said it in a podcast. I haven't heard the podcast myself but can we be sure about this and it couldn't be that he meant that the fracture didn't need an operation or something like that?

Anyway, if true it would be very good news and he's probably already back on the rollers.
P.E: "It could have been way worse. Eventually, it's only a collarbone fracture"
- "Yeah, no. That's true, and also a crack or fracture in the shoulderplate, or that's not correct? No? That wasn't the case? That was incorrect?"
P.E: "Let's put it this way, after examination it turned out there was nothing wrong with it."

That would be wonderful ... being a bit of a Remco fan boy , I must say that cycling is just not the same without him ( for me )

Last edited:
Reactions: Andre
P.E: "It could have been way worse. Eventually, it's only a collarbone fracture"
- "Yeah, no. That's true, and also a crack or fracture in the shoulderplate, or that's not correct? No? That wasn't the case? That was incorrect?"
P.E: "Let's put it this way, after examination it turned out there was nothing wrong with it."

Interesting but why remain so quiet about it ? If that is true then he will certainly be working out on the rollers already and we could see a return to competition sometime in the latter part of May , beginning of June ?

According to HLN, Remco is already training on the rollers. He is on schedule for the Tour. He will do an altitude training camp in the Sierra Nevada starting early May, the Dauphine, another altitude camp and the NC (road not TT) before the Tour.
Good to hear. So around 4 weeks of altitude training, then Dauphine, and then another 2 weeks at altitude. Can't remember him doing so much altitude training before a race, but they might think that if it worked for Vingegaard, it must also work for him.

Good to hear. So around 4 weeks of altitude training, then Dauphine, and then another 2 weeks at altitude. Can't remember him doing so much altitude training before a race, but they might think that if it worked for Vingegaard, it must also work for him.
This is what I already wrote a time ago. Even without the crash it was an option. After the crash, the bone fractures, the surgery and the revalidation, it's the only way to get in shape at the start of the Tour (or from the second week). Do consider that Evenepoel hasn't done an altitude training camp this season.
So, first, during a longer altitude trainingperiod (Sierra Nevada-Spain) just riding at altitude at a relatively low heart rate, building up slowly, coretraining, bringing the muscles back to normal. After this "basic" recoveryperiod, compete in the Dauphiné to get rhytm and find the driver's skills again (maybe the Dauphiné can turn out a little bit too early and too demanding considering his revalidation). After the Dauphiné a second shorter altitude trainingcamp. If the Dauphiné would turn out to come too early (or Evenepoel had to abandon), the Tour of Suisse is an (late) alternative, after which a few more days at altitude can follow.

Reactions: Berniece
This is what I already wrote a time ago. Even without the crash it was an option. After the crash, the bone fractures, the surgery and the revalidation, it's the only way to get in shape at the start of the Tour (or from the second week). Do consider that Evenepoel hasn't done an altitude training camp this season.
So, first, during a longer altitude trainingperiod (Sierra Nevada-Spain) just riding at altitude at a relatively low heart rate, building up slowly, coretraining, bringing the muscles back to normal. After this "basic" recoveryperiod, compete in the Dauphiné to get rhytm and find the driver's skills again (maybe the Dauphiné can turn out a little bit too early and too demanding considering his revalidation). After the Dauphiné a second shorter altitude trainingcamp. If the Dauphiné would turn out to come too early (or Evenepoel had to abandon), the Tour of Suisse is an (late) alternative, after which a few more days at altitude can follow.
And then win the Belgian NC again

IIRC it's the exact same plan they always had for this year after Liège.

So as of now it seems that the crash will not impact the preparations they had set in mind for the TDF but it's obviously a huge shame he couldn't ride the Ardennes.

The only thing I don't like about this schedule is that he won't be able to ride the Belgian NC TT but in the grand scheme of things that's not exactly a big deal ofcourse.

IIRC it's the exact same plan they always had for this year after Liège.

So as of now it seems that the crash will not impact the preparations they had set in mind for the TDF but it's obviously a huge shame he couldn't ride the Ardennes.

The only thing I don't like about this schedule is that he won't be able to ride the Belgian NC TT but in the grand scheme of things that's not exactly a big deal ofcourse.

I think there is some lack of confidence, after his crash in the Belgian TT last year and after his crash in the Basque Country TT. Then we are not talking about the heavy crash itself, a few days later, although not on a time trial bike. Evenepoel and his entourage also assess the risk and want to minimize the chance of another crash (in a TT). I am also convinced that Evenepoel will not be on his time trial bike much in the next two months. All attention will be paid to physical preparedness and rebuilding confidence and skills on a regular racing bike. If Evenepoel were to get close to his best form before the start of the Tour, a few time trial training sessions would probably be added.

I think there is some lack of confidence, after his crash in the Belgian TT last year and after his crash in the Basque Country TT. Then we are not talking about the heavy crash itself, a few days later, although not on a time trial bike. Evenepoel and his entourage also assess the risk and want to minimize the chance of another crash (in a TT). I am also convinced that Evenepoel will not be on his time trial bike much in the next two months. All attention will be paid to physical preparedness and rebuilding confidence and skills on a regular racing bike. If Evenepoel were to get close to his best form before the start of the Tour, a few time trial training sessions would probably be added.
It was already the plan to skip the Belgian NC TT this year before his crashes at Itzulia.

He's not skipping it because of a lack of confidence, he's skipping it because it doesn't fit in his altitude camp plan.