• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 960 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Depends on British vs. American English. Here (US) the “the” before hospital in such a sentence is standard.
I love the English language; it has more options and alternatives than any other. Although I can't really prove that...since I don't speak Mandarin or Arabic or many others. I believe English also borrows more foreign words and phrases than most languages. American English does away with many letters i.e. neighbour etc, and has the tendency to shorten terms and also abbreviate to no end.
But this thread is about Remco; so my apologies.
Go Remco Go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvarani
Evenepoel will probably not have recovered sufficiently to train quality during an altitude training period starting three weeks before (may 10th) the start of the Dauphine. So, in a month. Almost impossible. Then Evenepoel can only ride the Dauphine to gain kilometers and race rhythm. To then train at quality and competition level during an altitude camp (about fifth to twentyfifth of june).

Even before his crash, there was already talk of an (second) altitude training period after the Dauphiné. This was (should be) possible because Evenepoel had not yet completed an altitude training course in the spring.
My apologies, I never heard or read that, but I could be wrong of course.

You're also not able to do 3 weeks of altitude training after the dauphine, only 2 weeks. So if he can't do proper altitude training before, then I'm not sure if it's possible to get properly ready for the TDF, like he was for the Vuelta of 2022.

You're also not able to do 3 weeks of altitude training after the dauphine, only 2 weeks. So if he can't do proper altitude training before, then I'm not sure if it's possible to get properly ready for the TDF, like he was for the Vuelta of 2022.

I think Evenepoel will choose a proper training block at altitude instead of racing Dauphine, if the situation forces him to choose. I don't think a warm up race is really that needed to guys nowadays to prepare a very high level.

I love the English language; it has more options and alternatives than any other. Although I can't really prove that...since I don't speak Mandarin or Arabic or many others. I believe English also borrows more foreign words and phrases than most languages. American English does away with many letters i.e. neighbour etc, and has the tendency to shorten terms and also abbreviate to no end.
Go Remco Go!
This is also a funny example because in German, French and probably other languages the rules for when and which article to use are very explicit. English more laissez faire.

Reactions: Andre

Maybe after the dauphine, he is going to the famous spanish hotel where he used to sleep in altitude.

Go Remco Go!
don't all languages abbreviate?

And don't forget the tendency to un-abbreviate, e.g. "irregardless". You may scoff at that word, but that's no doubt how every new word starts out --- scorned. And if you think that words only get shorter, look into the history of till and until.

Reactions: Sandisfan
he has an apartment in Calpe and it doesn't have an altitude tent/room.
He had the intention to have in his room. Why he changed the plan?

"You earn back the expenses you make for Syncrosfera with such a room in your own house, so we have already thought about that," Evenepoel said.

"There are plans for it, but then the architect will have to visit again."

Reactions: Sandisfan