• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 973 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Except that Tour he lost to the Danish Kid. Now that Jonas is in the same situation it may repay both Pogi and Remco with an easier playing field?
Pog's crumbling in last year's TDF was undoubtedly linked to his preparation, but it remains to be seen (let's hope next year they will face off in prime condition) whether he would have beaten him otherwise. I've grown more convinced that he would not have won last year's LBL either, after a long classics season and already showing serious signs of weakness during Amstel.

Evenepoel on the other hand not only missed out on his big 2020 goals, but also all his 2021 goals. Looking at the way he was riding in 2020 up til then, and in 2022, it's quite unrealistic to argue he would not have won any of those (2x Lombardia, 2x Giro, 2x WCC RR, 2x WCC ITT, OG RR, OG ITT, 2x LBL), had he not crashed.

But again, mostly besides the point i was making. It was not just a setback in terms of time and wins for Evenepoel, but also development. He was 20 when he broke his hip, quite a different matter for a cyclist than being 24 and breaking your wrist.

Pog's crumbling in last year's TDF was undoubtedly linked to his preparation, but it remains to be seen (let's hope next year they will face off in prime condition) whether he would have beaten him otherwise. I've grown more convinced that he would not have won last year's LBL either, after a long classics season and already showing serious signs of weakness during Amstel.

Evenepoel on the other hand not only missed out on his big 2020 goals, but also all his 2021 goals. Looking at the way he was riding in 2020 up til then, and in 2022, it's quite unrealistic to argue he would not have won any of those (2x Lombardia, 2x Giro, 2x WCC RR, 2x WCC ITT, OG RR, OG ITT, 2x LBL), had he not crashed.

But again, mostly besides the point i was making. It was not just a setback in terms of time and wins for Evenepoel, but also development. He was 20 when he broke his hip, quite a different matter for a cyclist than being 24 and breaking your wrist.
How would Evenepoel have beaten him in LBL? I can imagine him being slightly stronger, but he would have had to be considerably stronger to drop him. And in a sprint, while not hopeless, he would always have been second favourite. So, it's not impossible, but I didn't see anything to convince me, especially given that we didn't see even one second of Pogacar in action during the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hadn't Remco crashed in Lombardia, he would've won 3 TdF by now, of course.

How would Evenepoel have beaten him in LBL? I can imagine him being slightly stronger, but he would have had to be considerably stronger to drop him. And in a sprint, while not hopeless, he would always have been second favourite. So, it's not impossible, but I didn't see anything to convince me, especially given that we didn't see even one second of Pogacar in action during the race.
Last year? Evenepoel dominated the race and won it by a minute while holding back.

Reactions: Andre
Sure thing. So you know for a fact that Pogacar would have won races he was unable to participate in (per your previous posts) regardless of his dying form, but you also know Evenepoel would have won none of his targets. Very credible.
We know nothing what could've happened. @Froome could've won his fifth, hadn't he crashed.
I find it pointless to discuss what could've been.
But I also find it amusing when others start discussing so I just have to chip in.