• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Subtitled interview with Sporza (translation is a bit wonky, but passable).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDYSp84U3nw

Apparently not the entire interview has been subtitled, the youtuber says it's a work in progress. In the final (untranslated) part, the interviewer says that he's so calm and mature amidst all the attention. Remco says he's mentally strong. First he'll take some time off, and then assess the situation, what happens next. His trainer says he can still improve because he still doesn't really live like a pro (fries and chocolates). True, says Remco, he'll be going to McDonalds after the interview. He now lives "70-30". As in 70% "good" (regarding food etc) and 30% bad, but in preperation for the WC that was 90-10. And it paid off.

Interview in English, post-race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKqbHO81fc

Also: i read on social media that he did the "goat" sign, because a friend dared him to. So we can put that to rest too.

A big talent for sure but he will need to watch his temperament in future. Not thanking his team mates, striking out at the Italian rider who was trying to slow down the Belgian team's chase and even spitting in the direction of his breakaway companions were not cool. Sure the adrenaline was pumping but you don't see the big guys doing stuff like that...

Re:

dastott said:
A big talent for sure but he will need to watch his temperament in future. Not thanking his team mates, striking out at the Italian rider who was trying to slow down the Belgian team's chase and even spitting in the direction of his breakaway companions were not cool. Sure the adrenaline was pumping but you don't see the big guys doing stuff like that...

He has thanked his teammates in about 10 different interviews now. What are you talking about. The first thing his father said as well when they interviewed him was literally a thanks to the teammates.

I watched the entire race, i did not see him "spit" in the direction of anyone, but it's possible i missed it. Could you please tell me where/when this happened, i can rewatch the entire race still online. It's not uncommon for an athlete who just performed an effort, to spit out the excess saliva/snot out. It's also the first time i've heard someone mentionn this.

Although it seems the choice for QS is ok (no hard racing and lots of altitude training), I wonder if he couldn't have contacted Polartec and signed for them. If he wants to develop as a GC rider, why not join the theam of Contador and get him as teacher, all the more Contador wants to move up with his team so...

Re:

dastott said:
37.4km from finish.

lol, come on. You are completely losing track of the camera angle and depth perception. These guys are riding behind him, not next to him. He is also spitting towards the ground, not towards them. It's possible some of it caught Mayrhofer, but to me, this doesn't look intentional at all. Clumsy, sure.

Der Effe said:
As his spokesperson, you should pay closer attention to the screen logic. Remco might not sign your pyjamas next time!
I'll do that as soon as you change your name to "Der Neffe".

Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
dastott said:
37.4km from finish.

lol, come on. You are completely losing track of the camera angle and depth perception. These guys are riding behind him, not next to him. He is also spitting towards the ground, not towards them. It's possible some of it caught Mayrhofer, but to me, this doesn't look intentional at all. Clumsy, sure.

It definitely hit Mayrhofer, you see him turning his head away...
It wasn't very neat of Evenepoel but it doesn't look intentional.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Just to note, I found one day race during which later winner was able to comeback with 2 minutes los. It is Milan - San Remo, 1961 and Raymond Poulidor.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
He'll start at San Juan.
Facing the Argentinians mythical climbers will be tough.
There usually is one mountain stage and one short timetrial (12-16km). If he manages to adapt within the peloton, he could do rather well here. Top 15-20 should be possible if he actually wants to go for a result. Bernal finished 9th in 2017, when he was exactly one year older.

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
What's way worse than posters simply hyping rider based on concrete results are the edgelords saying rider will fail based on nothing. Remco seems to already accumulated a good share of those :D

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who isn’t a 5-year old or a jingoistic knucklehead knows there are so many nuances to be placed at his results as a junior, that fading into anomynity seems far more feasible than the jibber-jabber the Belgian press has been spreading around. This doesn’t mean he will definitely fail, but message boards would be little redundant if we only spoke about what is certain.

Re:

Der Effe said:
Anyone who isn’t a 5-year old or a jingoistic knucklehead knows there are so many nuances to be placed at his results as a junior, that fading into anomynity seems far more feasible than the jibber-jabber the Belgian press has been spreading around. This doesn’t mean he will definitely fail, but message boards would be little redundant if we only spoke about what is certain.
What exactly has the Belgian press been saying? The comparison to Merckx can be reduced to Merckx's own comments, and the topic title in this topic (which wasn't even started by a Belgian). It has been repeated ad nauseam that there is a long way to go and many things can go wrong. And because you want to provide a counter weight, instead of going by actual arguments, posting facts, you just decided to just start trolling instead. Why not discuss the nuances you mentioned, for the sake of argument? Why the toxic hit & run posts? Nobody is forcing you to read the topic.

Let me give some arguments why he just might not fade into obscurity (or anominity as you call it).
1/ He's mentally strong: Never panicked after the crash at the WC, dealt with the huge pressure of being the "only" contender. Just like at the Euro's and nationals. And basically every other race he entered.
2/ Plenty of room for improvement: He doesn't ride economically at all, lots to be gained there. He doesn't ride tactically either. He still is carrying unnecessary football muscle, upper body weight etc. Doesn't live like a pro athlete yet. He's only 18.
3/ Lab tests: he's already able to push the watts and is able to do this for longer periods, his Vo2max is up there (with room for improvent by losing some weight).
3/ He's incredibly consistent throughout the entire season: meaning his training is not a hurdle (read the interview with his trainer about 10 pages down, other riders would not be able to follow his training schedule without suffering from overtraining). Meaning he can improve if he focusses on one or two goals per year.
4/ His current level already puts him at the level among the best U23, as shown by ITT and climbing data.

Evenepoel does not win his first and only race in the rainbow jersey!
https://sporza.be/nl/2018/10/06/evenepoel-heestert/
Beaten in the sprint... 2nd.

THE BEGINNING OF THE END!

-------------------------------------------------------

Apparently he will ride the Chrono des Nations (ITT) later this month as well.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sagan on Evenepoel: "He's really very good. I wish him a bright future. Especially mentally, taking the next step to the pros can be difficult. When you're used to winning everywhere easily, and suddenly it becomes very hard, then you start to think. I'm curious to see how he evolves.

He's riding Chrono des Nations this Sunday, an ITT of 26 kilometers. The first part of the course is the exact same as the U23's (who do a total of 33 kilometers) and the pros (46 kilometers). Of course, in the end it's all worthless because they will have to calculate their performances differently and because of the obvious gear restrictions, but it'll be fun to see how Remco's intermediate time will stand between the likes of Toft Madsen, Bjerg, Nibali, Latour, Ganna and so on.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
He's riding Chrono des Nations this Sunday, an ITT of 26 kilometers. The first part of the course is the exact same as the U23's (who do a total of 33 kilometers) and the pros (46 kilometers). Of course, in the end it's all worthless because they will have to calculate their performances differently and because of the obvious gear restrictions, but it'll be fun to see how Remco's intermediate time will stand between the likes of Toft Madsen, Bjerg, Nibali, Latour, Ganna and so on.
It's a useless excercise

TRENDING THREADS