• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 68 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters

GVFTA

BANNED
Tadej Pogacar would like a word with you.

(To be fair, TP is about a year or 18 months ahead of Remco in his development as a stage racer, if that's what Remco turns out to be)
I'm not sure what Pogacar has to do with my comment, but since you brought him up, he does have a Tour de l'Avenir victory, which many pundits consider a pretty relevant precursor to GT talent/success.

Evenepoel just received the Crystal Bicycle, a price for the best Belgian rider voted by the media. Gilbert and Van Aert complete the podium. Not a surprise that he got more votes from the media than from the other riders with the Flandrien-price, where he finished 2nd just behind WVA. The media loves the kid.

When he wins a hilly one week stage race against other GT contenders people can start to speculate about his GT potential. Until then he is merely the super talented 19 yr old that you describe.
Not really; GT is just watt/kg , good ITT + stamina over several days. We know he has the first 2, stamina looks promissing. It is all there in the package. Of course there is enough to speculate already. Be patient; he is only 19 ;-). And yes; of course for any sport; you know if you can win only if you won.
For Evenepoel doing the prediction that he will compete at the highest level in GT is easy.
The guy who predicted that a Froome aged 24 would become a GT winner he had more skills and understanding of the sport....

Walter

GVFTA

BANNED
T
Not really; GT is just watt/kg , good ITT + stamina over several days. We know he has the first 2, stamina looks promissing. It is all there in the package. Of course there is enough to speculate already. Be patient; he is only 19 ;-). And yes; of course for any sport; you know if you can win only if you won.
For Evenepoel doing the prediction that he will compete at the highest level in GT is easy.
The guy who predicted that a Froome aged 24 would become a GT winner he had more skills and understanding of the sport....

Walter

Thanks for your input Walter. Were you the expert that picked Froome at 24 to win the tour? Your understanding is overwhelming.

I'm not sure what Pogacar has to do with my comment, but since you brought him up, he does have a Tour de l'Avenir victory, which many pundits consider a pretty relevant precursor to GT talent/success.
Third in l'Avenir this year was Ilan Van Wilder. Who is very comparable to Evenepoel in build, style, skillset. Good ITT'er, good tempoclimber, same height (1m71), +/- same weight (62kg), same age, born only a few miles apart. But every stagerace they competed together as juniors, Evenepoel finished ahead of Van Wilder (and won). Van Wilder was also runner up at Belgian National Championships ITT. Also at the Euro Championships ITT. Behind Evenepoel every time. At this years EC ITT, they both rode the same course. And while Van Wilder made a great debut as a 19 year old at the U23, and made the top 10, Evenepoel won... the elite category (almost 2 minutes faster than Van Wilder's time on a 22km course). You can dance around the bush all you want, but there is no doubt in my mind that had Evenepoel entered Tour de l'Avenir, that he would have won that on one leg. If you have any interest in junior and U23 racing, and you have followed Evenepoel, you would say the same thing. Van Wilder has been regarded as one of the top talents in every age bracket he entered (again proving himself this year as a neo U23 rider), and yet Evenepoel is simply that far ahead.

He (Evenepoel) is incredibly consistent, won every stagerace as a junior he entered (except the one where he crashed, fell unconscious and lost too much time... yet finished the stage and won the next day). And while the juniors may not say anything about the level he may grow into, the way he dominated every stagerace, does show he's consistent and has no issues with performing a few days in a row.

Questioning his potential as a GC rider, which is undoubtedly there, seems a bit laughable after all what he's accomplished as a junior and in his first year as a pro. That doesn't mean he'll become the GT worldbeater he hopes to be. But he's certainly free to dream. If not him, then who? He only finished a few seconds behind Grossschartner on the MTF in Turkey. He finished only a few seconds behind Dumoulin on the first MTF in Quatar (and ahead a lot of Sivakov, Nibali, Kwiatkowski...). Acting like he has shown nothing that indicates he has potential as a GC rider is simply disingenuous.

Last edited:

GVFTA

BANNED
Third in l'Avenir this year was Ilan Van Wilder. Who is very comparable to Evenepoel in build, style, skillset. Good ITT'er, good tempoclimber, same height (1m71), +/- same weight (62kg), same age, born only a few miles apart. But every stagerace they competed together as juniors, Evenepoel finished ahead of Van Wilder (and won). Van Wilder was also runner up at Belgian National Championships ITT. Also at the Euro Championships ITT. Behind Evenepoel every time. At this years EC ITT, they both rode the same course. And while Van Wilder made a great debut as a 19 year old at the U23, and made the top 10, Evenepoel won... the elite category (almost 2 minutes faster than Van Wilder's time on a 22km course). You can dance around the bush all you want, but there is no doubt in my mind that had Evenepoel entered Tour de l'Avenir, that he would have won that on one leg. If you have any interest in junior and U23 racing, and you have followed Evenepoel, you would say the same thing. Van Wilder has been regarded as one of the top talents in every age bracket he entered (again proving himself this year as a neo U23 rider), and yet Evenepoel is simply that far ahead.

He is incredibly consistent, won every stagerace as a junior he entered (except the one where he crashed, fell unconscious and lost too much time... yet finished the stage and won the next day). And while the juniors may not say anything about the level he may grow into, the way he dominated every stagerace, does show he's consistent and has no issues with performing a few days in a row.

Questioning his potential as a GC rider, which is undoubtedly there, seems a bit laughable after all what he's accomplished as a junior and in his first year as a pro. That doesn't mean he'll become the GT worldbeater he hopes to be. But he's certainly free to dream. If not him, then who? He only finished a few seconds behind Grossschartner on the MTF in Turkey. He finished only a few seconds behind Dumoulin on the first MTF in Quatar (and ahead a lot of Sivakov, Nibali, Kwiatkowski...). Acting like he has shown nothing that indicates he has potential as a GC rider is simply disingenuous.
Thanks for informing me about Van Wilder. Hadn't heard much about him. Sounds like a real talent. I guess there is only one more step left on a future GT podium.

It was a lighthearted comment about young riders and GT debuts and exceeding expectations. Nothing more nothing less.

I'd have liked to see Remco in Avenir this year (2019) but he did a couple of big boy stage races in any event.

GVFTA

BANNED
It was a lighthearted comment about young riders and GT debuts and exceeding expectations. Nothing more nothing less.

I'd have liked to see Remco in Avenir this year (2019) but he did a couple of big boy stage races in any event.

Pogacar sure did have an impressive debut. I doubt Remco will be given the same support in his however. If he is given the freedom to ride his own race and is capable of doing some work, taking opportunities when given and finish in the top 20 or so, I think we'll be able to speculate on his podium chances with a bit more certainty.

When he wins a hilly one week stage race against other GT contenders people can start to speculate about his GT potential. Until then he is merely the super talented 19 yr old that you describe.

The thread was about Evenepoel himself, not "people" speculating about battles with Pogacar and Bernal. Why would such a talent not dream of battles with these guys? Good for him.

I'd be shocked if he's not battling for GC wins in 3 years.

Evenepoel has every right of dreaming to be a GC contender however he still sees himself more as a guy to chase medals in Championships that's why the Olympics and the Worlds will be his priority next year so even if he rides a GT next year we won't likely see everything he is capable off there.

Reactions: red_flanders
Unless he's playing hide and seek, he explicitly said he would not be riding a GT for GC , and the only GT to possibly fit his schedule, is the Giro, because with the WCC and OG being his real objectives, the TDF and Vuelta are simply out of the picture. The Giro (if he will ride it) will only serve as preparation and he would likely not finish it. He wants to really focus on the Olympics now, because in 4 years he may have other objectives (TDF) and the Olympic course might not suit him like it does in 2020.

T

Thanks for your input Walter. Were you the expert that picked Froome at 24 to win the tour? Your understanding is overwhelming.
Do I read an attempt for sacasme ;-)?
The comment about Froome was just to reflect on the fact that pure on results we cannot see the capabilities of a younger cyclist. Some riders hold an enormous potential even without any descent results. And apparently there are people who see this and give a young Froome a contract and wait patiently until...
For Evenpoel; we should check the thread and see who predicted a WT classics win and runner up in ITT WC. And here we do have a case where the 19 years old boy already has results where 95% of the peloton riders only can dream of at the end of their career....

Last edited:
Reactions: Joelsim
Actually you can indirectly compare a younger Bernal and Evenpoel: When Bernal won the Tour de l'Avenir 2017, runner up was Bjorg Lambrecht, same age as Bernal -Bernal and Lambrecht that year were about the best GC riders; Lambrecht always finishing second. That year the Belgian cycling team tested the 17 year old Evenpoel; Evenpoel rode the 25 minute test climb as fast as Bjorg who was 3 years older; at that moment a worldclass U23 (if you finish second Tour de l'Avenir you can say this). Evenpoel had started cycling for 3 months back then. So the just 17 year old Evenpoel with limited experience was on par with the best U23s in climbing test at that test moment. So if you ever wonder why they decided to skip U23...
You find the info on Evenpoel riding as fast as the 3 year older Bjorg earlier in this thread.
I know it is a 'very indirect' comparison. But if you know how much better the 18 year old Remco was then the 17 year old Remco, it does make sense to give him chances to compete in GT in a few years.
But it looks at the moment more that the planning is on ITT and single day races.
Walter

TRENDING THREADS