• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
No need to be passive-aggressive. You don't agree that in every appearance he comes across like a little *** without any sympathetic traits? He was sitting next to Wout van Aert in Vive le Velo this week, the two couldn't be any more different.
As you can see above, i saw the broadcast.

No, i don't agree. It seems like you are forgetting a few things. He's still only 19. He only started cycling when he was 17. In a period of 18 months, he took off like a rocket, has been the most talked about cyclist in Belgium and quite possibly the world (or not far off). Not a week goes by or he gets a camera pushed in his face. Furthermore, he comes from a football background which as a teamsport, is a lot more macho and egocentric (though you would think the opposite, that's not true). No other 19 year old in cycling has ever had to face the media like he has.

But the kid is basically just trying to stay real. But he's still a kid nevertheless. I agree he does and says some dumb stuff, but he is also quite refreshing to watch on many occasions. He says what he thinks, and he tries to be respectful, but sometimes testosterone takes over and you can see that he is too young and too new to cycling to put things into perspective. Like the Bettiol comment. I'm quite sure he only said what others (jokingly or not) said in the team. And now they ask him about it, and he says that next time they won't let him ride. So, does he say that because he's a douchebag or because he "thinks" it's what he should say to be a team player, trying to stick up for his team? Not realizing there is a difference between saying something like that at the breakfast table between teammates, or on live television.

He's also incredibly ambitious and he's a real winner. When things bother him, he gets irked and he hasn't learned to cope with that with camera's on him all the time. Making gestures towards the motorcycles in Lunigiana, at Skuijns for not fully committing in San Sebastian, saying things like that about Bettiol. And people are quick to judge a kid that is still trying to find his way. Blowing things out of proportion. Again, no other 19 year old has ever been in the spotlights like him. Most guys his age are lucky to get a decent result as a first year U23 rider, hoping to be on a picture in some race nobody heard of, while he wins San Sebastian, ECC ITT, and silver at the WCC ITT. He hasn't really had time to learn or adjust.

On the other hand, comparing him to van Aert, who is possibly one of the most likable guys in cycling, who has always been down to earth, humble, having had a tough time as a kid (when he was small and skinny compared to his competitors), who is always calm, focused and is 5 or 6 years older, isn't exactly fair either.

Last edited:
Name one.
Chris Froome.

No it isn't, and no he doesn't.

He's both a racist and violent. Hard to see why Remco would be more unlikeable than him but I guess you have made up your mind...

Wow. I'd think you would want to give some very specific examples when making accusations like that, not just throw it out there as an assertion. Not saying you're right or wrong, but those are incredibly damaging assertions which need specific facts to back them up.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wow. I'd think you would want to give some very specific examples when making accusations like that, not just throw it out there as an assertion. Not saying you're right or wrong, but those are incredibly damaging assertions which need specific facts to back them up.

Réza and Reichenbach.

I thought it was quite obvious what I was referring to. Or do people forget that quickly?

Réza and Reichenbach.

I thought it was quite obvious what I was referring to. Or do people forget that quickly?
I don't know what or who those names are, or what about them makes Evenepoel racist and violent. We don't get as much news in the US. Just an artifact of different media environments.

EDIT: Apologies, I didn't read that this was about Moscon. My mistake. Still think one should be very careful throwing things like that about.

I don't know what or who those names are, or what about them makes Evenepoel racist and violent. We don't get as much news in the US. Just an artifact of different media environments.

It was Moscon I was calling a racist and violent because he racially abused Kévin Reza a couple of years ago, which Sébastien Reichenbach called out, later to be crashed (supposedly) purposefully by Moscon, resulting in a broken leg.

I don't really see how you could come to the conclusion that it was Evenepoel I was talking about, but allright.

Reactions: red_flanders
E

Evenpoel is a young kid new to media spotlight. If he starts acting like a jerk on the bike...that will be a different story.

Agreed.

The kid has quite a palmares before his 20th Birthday. I can imagine he'd be both immature and arrogant at the same time. Unattractive at the moment to be sure.

Maybe give the kid time for his emotional control to catch up with his abilities on the bike.

He thinks he has a chance at Liège Bastogne Liège, even this year. It's also the classic he'd like to win most.

No he didn't.

Is there are more unsympathetic figure in cycling than this guy? Everything about the kid seems off.

He sure didn't seem unsympathetic to me when he was sitting in the hot seat at the European Championships, crying his eyes out, and then dedicating his victory not just to the guy who'd died a few days before - and was therefore on everyone's minds - but also the guy who'd died several months before.

Time is moving quickly enough as it is, no need to speed it up. It'll be 2050 before any of us realises. (At which point I'll be in my sixties…)
And yet you are wasting everyone's time since everybody knew what was meant. :eek:

:kissingheart:

Why can't he win Liege this year?
Because it's still 2019 for another 9 days!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=bcYppAs6ZdI

(it's actually another 10 days, let's see if the bait works)

Last edited:
  • Haha

TRENDING THREADS