• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
^ 5% is indeed insane and unsustainable for longer periods of time ..for anyone (regardless of dope). Froome was probably at around 4.1% during the 2015 Dauphiné

...but was measured at 9.6% when he was 3 kilograms above his 2015 Dauphiné weight

Evenepoel in Belgian sunday paper:

Dreams to become the best of the world (but a dream is only a dream).
Olympics course (both ITT as RR) suits him, he needs to show his ambition, he wants to go for a good result. Same goes for the WCC. He'll also start LBL with ambitions. He trains on those roads a lot. He assumes if he can win San Sebastian, he also has a shot at LBL and Lombardia. Those are his 4 main goals for 2020.
He's aware he'll need to "confirm" in his second year, and that things will be more difficult to win, but he isn't afraid and doesn't feel the pressure.
If he keeps training hard, victories will come. Hence it's important to start the new season in good form, he won't make the same mistake as last year, when he started (in San Juan) with too many kilos. He's been watching his weight the past few weeks, it shouldn't be an issue this time.
He'll start 2020 again in San Juan, the race isn't too hard and it has an ITT where he can show off his European champs jersey. He can't wait for the season to begin.
Claims the Giro is still not 100% certain, there are other options, but whatever the case, it needs to be the best way to prepare for the Olympics.
He liked participating in the TV latenight show "Gert Late Night". He also was invited into the cockpit of the flight to Calpe.
Is asked about annoying (and impolite) fans who take pictures without asking politely and waiting for an answer. It happens.
He was very angry with the made-up story about him having a relationship with an Italian female cyclist, based on a picture from 2018. As if they were trying to mess with his mind because he was doing well (had just won ECC ITT and CSS). He really had to put that behind him to get his focus back.
He's happy to be back together with Oumi, breaking up was a mistake in a period that too much was going on. Hasn't first hand experienced racism towards them/her (Oumi is from Moroccan descent), but is aware people might talk.
He won't be going to Monaco for now, and probably never will. Too "hautain", and he's just an ordinary guy from Brussels. It's not a match. He listened to his parents and Gilbert who gave him some pointers.
He has never used Ketones so far. Some DQS riders do, but it isn't organized by the team. The team doctors haven't even mentioned it to him so far and he hasn't been asked. He's doing it the regular way with shakes and nutrition. Maybe he'll try it out in the future, so far he doesn't feel he needs it.

evenepoel-zondagw2js6.jpg

GVFTA

BANNED
I fear that having so many goals might be too much for such a young guy. While the Olympics and the World Championships make perfect sense to me, and the LBL is understandable, the Giro di Lombardia looks a bit of a stretch to me.

Those are big goals, but if he wins one and shows himself at the front in one or two others, it would be a huge season #2. Health/ injury are probably the only things that will distract him from some level of success this coming year.

I think it's completely logical goals. This year he was just entering the pro scene, and surprisingly already won major ITTs and WT classics, while basically doing nothing at that level in stage races. If he hadn't done the former, I'd probably say he should start riding PN/Catalunya and go for GC there, before riding the Vuelta to get a taste of a GT. However, now he's one of the top 5 TTers in the world in an Olympic year in which the championship road races also seemingly suit him. Aiming for the major ITTs and one day races is the logical decision.

Those are big goals, but if he wins one and shows himself at the front in one or two others, it would be a huge season #2. Health/ injury are probably the only things that will distract him from some level of success this coming year.
Remco is aware he can't win them all. It's quite possible he will finish 2nd or 3rd in one or two races! :tongueclosed:

I kid, he knows it will be hard to win even one of them, but he's ambitious nevertheless.

Google translated (edited):

Remco Evenepoel: “This has been the best year of my life so far. The best is still to come ”

If he offers his arm, you can certainly squeeze it firmly. Tour of Belgium, Clásica San Sebastián, European and vice-world champion time trial, Crystal Bicycle, Sportsman of the Year. What a professional debut for Remco Evenepoel, 19 and "rising star" in cycling. Knowing that it all still has to start.

Fourth in our Top 100, is the inner born winner in you happy with that?

"Absolutely! Last year, after that top season with the juniors, I was seventh. I secretly hoped on finishing in that ballpark again. But top five? Wow, it makes me proud. Thanks to everyone who voted for me. I assume that I have met expectations. Maybe I have surpassed them. And in that way people are touched and inspired. By demonstrating that if you believe in yourself and work hard, you can achieve your goal. No matter how young you may be. "

Was this the best year of your life?

“The nicest year of the nineteen, so far. (laughs) The best is still to come, I hope. The success of such a year naturally does not only depend on achievements. Personal/private life are also important. For a moment that was not the case (Evenepoel temporarily broke with his girlfriend Oumi, ed.). Fortunately everything fell into place this winter. I feel fresh in the head and comfortable in my skin. As a result, my preparation for the new season is booming. "

You discovered and conquered the world in 2019. Which meeting is most memorable to you?

“On the Evanna, in" Gert Late Night ", Gert Verhulst and James Cooke gave me a fantastic gift. Two evenings Tomorrowland Amsterdam and half an hour backstage with Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike. Idols of mine, I love their music. We got to talking. They are two cool, normal guys, who get the most out of their job under not always easy circumstances. Not that I can suddenly call them my personal friends, but there was a click. We exchanged telephone numbers. By the way, I think they deserve a higher ranking in this Top 100 than place 69. Because they have won the "DJ Mag Top 100" again this year, making them officially the best and most popular DJs in the world. Statistically, they also attract the highest number of fans to their shows. One doesn't achieve that easily. Dimi and Mike at 2, so. (enthusiastic) And Gert and James on 3. Also nice, simple people. Also a perfect unity, that goes "all the way." They run from left to right, their lives never stop. Respect! "

"And the winner is" so for you ...?

“Stig Broeckx. For the way he is in life, after everything he has experienced. What resilience, what perseverance. Really magnificent. A founding example for many. Also for me. Is there a Nobel prize for positivism? Give it to Stig! ”

“Building on this: I think that too many unnecessary accidents happen in our sport. And that we must continue to focus on prevention and safety. Of course I am thinking of the fatal accident of my good friend Stef Loos (accident in March after a collision with a van in full course in Dottenijs, ed.). But also to a boy like Edo Maas, with whom I used to race. He collided with a car in the Tour of Lombardy U23 and may be permanently paralyzed. Such news hits you like a bomb. In a precarious situation during training I sometimes think that it can happen to me. But for the rest I try not to dwell too much on the potential dangers of our profession. Otherwise I wouldn't dare to come outside anymore. "

What good intention will you use to dive into the new year?

“I don't smoke or drink alcohol. I can't add that to my new year's resolution. (laughs) Then this: if something nice happens to me in 2020 and the team has its share, I want to give my team mates something back. A gift in the style of the Montblanc watches from Alaphilippe, the coffee machines from Van Avermaet or the ride-on mowers from Lampaert. As long as it directly relates to the race I win. "

Already have something specific in mind?

"Yes. Something with a ... euh ... hint of gold. (laughs) "

Message received. Good luck in 2020!

The editors/commentators of Sporza have chosen "Evenepoel's breakthrough" as #1 moment/event of 2019 (strictly Belgian affair).

google translated (edited):

The top 10 of 2019 - "The ability of Remco Evenepoel is criminally high"

Remco Evenepoel surprised friend and foe in his debut year with the pros.

At the stroke of midnight we celebrate the start of the new year. First we look back with our commentators on 2019. According to them, the cycling phenomenon Remco Evenepoel has provided the sporting performance of the year. "And he's only 19," it sounds in unison.

The 10 of 2019: The breakthrough of Remco Evenepoel

"The ultimate sign of the hope we cherish"

Stage win and overall win in the Tour of Belgium, win in the Clasica San Sebastian, European time trial champion, vice world champion time trial, winner of the Crystal Bike and Sportsman of the Year: Remco Evenepoel (19) repeatedly made jaws drop among our commentators in his debut year.

"The fact that Remco is #1 (in the list) is the ultimate sign of the hope that we have cherished since 1976," says Michel Wuyts. "Back then Lucien Van Impe was the last Belgian to win the Tour. There is a huge urge for someone to be able to take control of the race and we have now discovered him. Only, he is just 19 years old."

"I did not expect this," says our cycling commentator. "I was the first to suggest that he should continue for another year with the U23, but he didn't and I thought he would pay a price for that."

"But Evenepoel is an exceptional phenomenon with an exceptionally high base speed, a capacity that is criminally high and an endurance that the rest of his peers simply can not match."

"Were protecting him during the broadcast"

It all starts in the Tour of Belgium. There Remco Evenepoel takes his first win with the pros. Not 2 months later, the youngster let himself be completely heard after his victory trip in the Clasica San Sebastian. Ruben Van Gucht experienced it as a front row commentator.

"You always have a "Tourblues" in the Clasica San Sebastian," he says. "You then sit in the cabin with the feeling of:" They will have to surprise us very hard if we are to be astonished as hard as in the Tour. ""

"At first we thought Evenepoel was released, but then he is suddenly back and he fetches bottles for his team mates."

"When Evenepoel attacked on the flat and started at the foot of the last climb, cocommentator José De Cauwer and I looked at each other in disbelief. If he then left his companion Skujins uphill, we actually already knew it."

"We were still protecting him in our comments and protecting the viewers, should it still go wrong. But that didn't happen."

"World Cup silver has surprised the most"

And then his impressive time trials at the big championships are yet to come. Remco Evenepoel finished 3rd at the Belgian championship in June, but immediately takes the top spot at the European Championship in Alkmaar.

Kris Meertens (athletics and basketball commentator): "The European Championship podium was a great image for me: the little boy among those giant giants. He stood on the highest scaffold and was no taller than the men next to him."

"You wonder where he gets that power from, leaving those men behind. I think it's incredible that a 19-year-old boy can do that. Evenepoel is simply a phenomenon."

Evenepoel is even more impressive at the World Championship time trial in Yorkshire. The rainbow jersey the youngster of Deceuninck-Quick-Step had to leave to Rohan Dennis, but the silver was his.

Michel Wuyts: "I thought that was even more impressive than the Clasica San Sebastian. If you see who he leaves behind in that time trial. You can't judge that highly enough.

Christophe Vandegoor fully agrees. "That performance surprised me the most," says our radio commentator. "That silver may have remained somewhat underexposed. As a result, he is already certain of the Olympic Games, that says everything."

"What else can we say about Evenepoel? Of course you see what you see. And it's not just doing it, but also with panache and charisma. That is something to cherish."

"Evenepoel just wants to win the Tour de France"

Except cycling, what did our reporters remember mostly about the super talent?

"That he is modest in his way of doing things", says Eddy Demarez (football and hockey commentator). "Just think of how he helped Gilbert after his fall at the World Cup."

"It's great that he is already showing such beautiful things at this young age. You can hardly wait for the cycling season to start again to see what other exploit he is going to shake out of his legs"."

"Evenepoel is very mature in his language," remarks Christophe Vandegoor. "I think his maturity is good, everyone wants something from him, but he handles it very well."

"And he knows very well what he wants. Evenepoel just wants to win the Tour de France. That has not been said yet, but that is as clear as a lump."

"Mind you, Evenepoel is part of a formidable generation," Michel Wuyts picks up. "There are a few who approach him closely. Bernal is already there, just like Pogacar. We are facing a change of power in cycling," says our Tour commentator.

--------------------------------

Bradley predicts:

View: https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1211950390754914312

Last edited:
Reactions: Joelsim
Gert Verheyen, former Belgian national footballer and former Belgian national U19 coach, says that had Vincent Kompany returned a few years sooner to Anderlecht, that Evenepoel would be playing left full back at Anderlecht now. Verheyen scouted the Belgian U15 when they were playing vs The Netherlands (to get an idea of the next generation before he had to coach them), and there were three players he had marked on his sheet. Evenepoel was one of them. When he heard about Evenepoel in cycling, he went back to check his papers and found that it was him, and in fact gave him a positive evaluation.

It's strange, because i also read quotes from his coach at Anderlecht saying that he didn't have a career in football at that level. But Verheyen is known to be a good youth coach and annalist, so maybe there was an issue with his coach at Anderlecht, given the fact that Remco had been team captain (even in the national team), and was benched (without proper explanation according to Remco) overnight.

https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20200101_04788692

Do yall think he will have an even better year?
Tough to answer. Totally reasonable to assume he'll be physically improving, but that doesn't necessarily lead to better results. He won't get any room in one day races, and Dumoulin should be fully back in the ITTs next year for example.

Expecting him to grab his wins, but winning races like Clasica San Sebastian or major TT championships are not really a given.

If he rides the Giro, he should be a favorite for the ITT in that one, depending on how he handles the GT aspect.

Reactions: Salvarani
Tough to answer. Totally reasonable to assume he'll be physically improving, but that doesn't necessarily lead to better results. He won't get any room in one day races, and Dumoulin should be fully back in the ITTs next year for example.

Expecting him to grab his wins, but winning races like Clasica San Sebastian or major TT championships are not really a given.

If he rides the Giro, he should be a favorite for the ITT in that one, depending on how he handles the GT aspect.

I think Dennis is set to do the Giro as well.

If he improves, Dumoulin beating him in an ITT is far from a sure thing imho. He finished as far from Dennis in 2019 as Dumoulin the year before.

I'm also not sure concerning one day races. It's not like Movistar wanted to let him ride. They simply couldn't follow. Like Masnada, like Campenaerts, like Wellens... If he goes 30k from the finish, who is going with him? Team leaders will want to wait, but what if their doms can't bring him back. High profile riders can mark him, but might need to get out of their comfort zone.

I think he'll start the season better than last year. I can see him winning San Juan this year, and he surely can get a medal in the OG and/or WCC ITT.

The thing is, not unlikely van der Poel, it's dangerous to keep underestimating him. Last year i wasn't the only one saying it would be great if he could win a short ITT in a 3rd tier 1 week stagerace... And every time we said, he wouldn't be able to pull off a stunt like that again... That the others in the peloton would know him by now. First his stunt in Hammer Limburg, then Baloise Belgium Tour, then the BNC ITT merely 7s behind Lampaert, then Adriatica Ionica, then San Sebastian, then ECC ITT gold, then his stunt in Germany where Ineos needed motorpacing to bring him back, then the WCC ITT...

Every time us saying, what he did previously was impressive, but surely the next thing would be impossible. Until it wasn't.

His win in San Sebastian is being overlooked imho and it's up there with Mathieu's win in Amstel. As a physical feat, i rate it higher (coming back on the penultimate climb after a mechanical, attacking and choking the opposition to win solo).

I think the first part of his season will definitely be better than last year. The second part of the season will be hard to beat last year, even if he improves. But all bets are off.

PS: Davide Cassani approves of this topic: "I have never seen a phenomenon like Evenepoel, even Merckx was not as strong at 19 years."

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvarani
Dutch: https://magazine.belgiancycling.be/...n-tokio-het-hoofddoel-van-zijn-seizoen-maakt/
French: https://magazine.belgiancycling.be/...de-tokyo-son-principal-objectif-de-la-saison/

Google Translate:

“The Olympic Games are magic”

“Where do I want to be good? In Liège-Bastogne-Liège and in the Tour of Lombardy. ”These are the two classics most dear to Remco Evenepoel. But as European Time Trial Champion, he pointed his red marker in summer on the days when the Olympic time and road race will be contested. Because Remco Evenepoel made an appointment with the Olympic Games. "It’s a magical event"

If I had asked Remco Evenepoel at 15, what was the biggest sporting event an athlete wants to participate in? What would he say? The Olympic Games or the football world cup?

Remco Evenepoel: “When you are a football player, this is the highest goal you can achieve. So the boy I was four years ago wouldn't have hesitated to say the Football World Cup (laughs). But fate made me start to look at things differently."

If I were to give you a choice now: become a world cycling champion or win the Olympic gold? What do you choose then?

“Olympic champion, without a doubt. The Olympic Games go beyond the usual cycling framework. You are part of a larger whole, you are no longer in this cocoon of the bicycle. You come into contact with so many other new impressions ... I'm sure it will give a very different feeling. And suppose you can win: this recognition will also be different, I suppose. Of course, as a world champion, you also get a lot of respect and appreciation, but I still think that such an Olympic title means more. For myself and for the general public. If I'm really honest: it would give me even more satisfaction."

If you win the rainbow jersey, you're a big one. Whoever becomes Olympic champion is a hero. What do you think of this statement?

"It may be a bit of a stretch. (Laughs) Winning a world title is also incredibly beautiful and precious. In cycling, this is the highest achievable goal of a season. But the Games are held once every four years. In this case, you can really speak of a unique opportunity that may only present itself once in your career. So I understand that many people value a medal at the Olympic Games more than a podium at the Worlds."

Who were your childhood heroes? Soccer players? Cyclists? Or stars from other sports like Usain Bolt, for example?

"Not really soccer players, actually. I’ve always been interested in other sports. Cycling and athletics, for example. Usain Bolt is a good example. I can remember his sensational victories at the Olympic Games. I loved these stars. Not only Bolt, but also Michael Phelps. These two did not become the greatest figures in recent Olympic history by chance. I tried to draw inspiration from it when I was young."

You are the reigning European time trial champion. Not only did you get a nice jersey, the associated bonus was not negligible: a ticket to the Tokyo Olympics.

“I wanted to dedicate the stars of this European jersey to my deceased colleagues Stef Loos and Bjorg Lambrecht. On top of that, the title gave me the certainty of an Olympic selection. It was an additional reason to goo twice as deep, an extra boost. Participating in the Olympic Games is not just for everyone. And when you succeed in Alkmaar, and you have this ticket for Tokyo in your pocket ... I’m not hiding it, I’m really proud to be there."

And since that day, something has changed in your schedule. Because you are really going to make the Olympics a goal.

"Absolutely. If you are lucky enough to go to Tokyo and you know that the route will be difficult both in time and in line racing - which seems to suit you, then why not devote yourself to it 100%? We never know. It’s already a bit on my mind, even before the European Championships already. But now that I'm sure I'm there ... Total focus. I know why I worked so hard this winter. To be good there."

So, setting up 2020 will probably not be a copy and paste of the past season?

“The work will be different, especially in the two months before the Olympics. Plans that were made some time ago. For example, climate adaptation becomes very important. We have already explored a few options in this regard. The training will be done differently, more precisely. Some competitions will be abandoned, for example. But in consultation with the team, we developed a dream plan. The preparation will be perfect. At least I hope so. "

Will the ITT and the road race be just as important to you in Tokyo? Or are you targeting the time trial, because you have to take less account of external factors like competition?

"If I come to consider myself capable of doing equally well in both disciplines, then the importance will automatically be identical. I will just live day by day in Japan. If i get a result in the road race. Fantastic! If not ? Pity! But in both cases, I will immediately shift focus towards the time trial. This will be done step by step. You can't focus on two things at the same time there. Then you'll neglect the details, and it is precisely these little things where the difference between gains and losses can arise.”

Reactions: red_flanders
Heard that his aerobic threshold is about 320 watts somewhere last season; that is like 5.2watt/kg.
A Tim Declercq who is very open on his test results, has this same aerobic power, but he weights 20kg more.
Any known numbers of other riders?
I once heard the test numbers in his last junior year. The funny part was how close aerobic and anaerobic and max power where (cannot remember the actual numbers).

Walter

Heard that his aerobic threshold is about 320 watts somewhere last season; that is like 5.2watt/kg.
A Tim Declercq who is very open on his test results, has this same aerobic power, but he weights 20kg more.
Any known numbers of other riders?
I once heard the test numbers in his last junior year. The funny part was how close aerobic and anaerobic and max power where (cannot remember the actual numbers).

Walter
He already said in his junior years that he could push 7w/kg on a climb (his weight at the time was 63kg), which is quite a bit more than 5.25w/kg.
His trainer said in an interview of august 2018, that he could push 420w for "long periods" (see pg13 of this thread).

Last edited:
I can’t imagine he got his victories last season pushing 320 watts or 5.2 watts per kilo. Not sure that’s even domestique wattage.
FTP will be a good deal higher. Aerobic threshold is where your energy system starts to change its main fuel source from fats to sugars and is the limit of what you can sustain for extended periods of time while FTP is absolute maximum for a 1 hour effort. For a well trained athlete Aerobic threshold is about 75% of FTP.

FWIW 5.2W/Kg FTP is actually what you would expect for most U23s and Continental riders, but you wouldn't be winning unless you can sprint.

Last edited:
Reactions: red_flanders

TRENDING THREADS