• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Remco sure has trouble staying on his bike. Whether it is his own fault or it couldnt be avoided, because that is just the sport. Sometimes you make your own luck though.
:rolleyes:
If you saw this crash you would not be commenting like that. It happened up at around the 5th row so front 25-30 riders so even good positioning didn’t save riders.

some of his crashes last year were due to bike handling deficiencies but this one was caused by a spectator and instantly took down dozens of riders. Definitely the right and fair decision to cancel all time gaps as it was not a true racing incident given the accidental spectator involvement.
He had been racing very attentively in the front the final 50k. He had been on the first or second row, minutes or even seconds before the crash.

Reactions: hayneplane
If you saw this crash you would not be commenting like that. It happened up at around the 5th row so front 25-30 riders so even good positioning didn’t save riders.

some of his crashes last year were due to bike handling deficiencies but this one was caused by a spectator and instantly took down dozens of riders. Definitely the right and fair decision to cancel all time gaps as it was not a true racing incident given the accidental spectator involvement.

No, it wasnt because of this crash.

It was just a general statement. I thought it was pretty clear in what I said.... since I didnt refer to it at all.

No, it wasnt because of this crash.

It was just a general statement. I thought it was pretty clear in what I said.... since I didnt refer to it at all.
You can understand how people read your message a few hours after a crash, about him crashing a lot?
Yes, he's been on the ground quite a bit. Good thing is that he's never had any injuries, maybe he "falls well", i don't know. I think had he been Keldeman, Gesink, Vandenbroeck... he'd already broken his hips, collarbones, ribs... I think he's been involved in crashes about 10 times since last year.

I think for most people statements like that come from a point of view of worrying for him, not blame or making fun.

Almost any crash on a bike has a risk of injury, especially in the pro peloton; maybe not a big risk necessarily, but the probability stacks up over time. What a tragedy would it be for his career to be destroyed over something like this...

You can understand how people read your message a few hours after a crash, about him crashing a lot?
Yes, he's been on the ground quite a bit. Good thing is that he's never had any injuries, maybe he "falls well", i don't know. I think had he been Keldeman, Gesink, Vandenbroeck... he'd already broken his hips, collarbones, ribs... I think he's been involved in crashes about 10 times since last year.

Of course.

But a statement like that would probably come right after he had just crashed, again. I thought I was also pretty clear in what I said, that some crashes just cant be avoided. Which this last one would fall under. Hence me not mentioning the crash at all, since it was pretty obivous I thought. I guess not.

No he has not had a horrible crash where he as seriously injured himself, but if you crash pretty often in races the risk at least increases that you will do so. And the reason, as I said in my first post, can depend on different things. I dont know if it is a pattern but he sure seem to crash every now and then, which was basically why I made that post. 10 crashes, as you said, in races since last year is pretty many I would say.

After reading a few interviews with him I have to say that him being arrogant is just bs.
It's media taking what he said out of context, directly asking him certain stuff and taking jokes out of context to create a good headline.
He seems confident, but really not in a bad way.

He is indeed very confident and even more ambitious. He's never come off as arrogant to me in interviews. But the thing that doesn't work in his favor is his temper. He's a real winner, and during races, when things don't go his way, things can get on his nerves and that's when he sometimes shows his weakness. I think it's more like "moping" but then he sometimes starts to complain, or make gestures etc. Towards the camera motor in Lunigiana, at the WCC RR after getting off the bike, at Skuijns in San Sebastian, this week at Guillaume Martin after crashing...

It's probably a combination of those things that people who somehow don't "want" to like him, can more easily form an opinion of him that he's an arrogant brat.

I don't think psychoanalyzing and attributing stuff like that is the appropriate response to somebody disliking an indivudual you like.
It's not psychoanalyzing, it's painfully obvious. It also has nothing to do with me liking him or not. And in most cases (if not all) people dislike him because he's arrogant (supposedly). Yet he comes from a "normal" family (his father is a plasterer who made him help out since he was a kid, his mother is a hairdresser), he doesn't come off as arrogant at all in interviews (read Mayomaniac's post), there is nothing about him that makes him "seem" arrogant except for the examples i gave. But he's ambitious and states his goals.

And if by "attributing stuff like that" you mean me mentioning cognitive dissonance, maybe you don't know what that is. It is not a disease or a condition. It's something everybody does on a daily basis. When you're in the store choosing which type of bread to buy or when you are deciding which music album to listen to.

Last edited:
He isn’t shy about setting lofty goals and going public with them but I have never seen any interviews where that has crossed over into an assumption that he will achieve all his goals.

Having targets that are a big reach are not a problem as long as he is internally realistic and doesn’t place a crushing amount of pressure on himself to match his goals.

say what you want about the competition, he absolutely demolished the course.

and there are 3 TTs in the giro.

First one is very short. Only 8,6k. There is only so much you can do there. I think he could have a great chance of winning it though.

The second one comes at the end of the 2nd week. I dont think he will be crushing everyone. Depends on how hard he has been racing and how fresh he is. If he has been riding for GC or if his goal will be to get a stage win or two. If he has been softpedalling a few stages, he should have a very good chance.

Third one is the last stage. Depends on how fresh he is vs everyone else. This is his first time riding a GT, just making it to the finish would be great tbh.

TRENDING THREADS