• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
That's not what I see at all. They are all actually standing up when he attacks, en danseuse. That's not something you do when you slow down.
Sure they lost a couple meters because of Lopez, but Rui Costa didn't wait that long at all and couldn't bring him back either.
I don't even think Rui Costa was hindered that much by Lopez, he wasn't behind him at first when he got out of the saddle, tried to grap Lopez' wheel, but quickly got past him and continued chasing Remco.

Screenshot-from-2020-02-21-16-15-22.jpg

Regarding the Giro, and his possible status as a favourite for the GC; am I the only one who hopes he - purposely - lose a bunch of time early on, and then select a couple of stages during which he'll go out, firing on all cylinders?
Just... have fun. Not worry about time, but still go for a stage win if possible.

Schachmann shouldn't be an issue surely. Also I don't think Schachman is the type of rider that does well on the Malhao.

Do we know that Evenepol is a good rider for that climb?

You are totally underestimating Schachmann, if the finishline would have been 10 meters later he would have won. He was the strongest rider yesterday just his attack came 3 seconds too late.

I don't know if finish in front of Evenepol in the GC but it will be very close.

You are totally underestimating Schachmann, if the finishline would have been 10 meters later he would have won. He was the strongest rider yesterday just his attack came 3 seconds too late.

I don't know if finish in front of Evenepol in the GC but it will be very close.
Why was Schachmann the strongest rider according to you? Evenepoel was the only one who could still attack with 500m to go. Schachmann just had the fastest sprint, doesn't mean he was the strongest.

Don't agree at all. Schachmann was toast when he crossed the line, Evenepoel still fresh enough to control Schachmann with an extra acceleration.

Evenepoel not yet in top form, per Lefevre:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefevere-evenepoel-is-not-in-top-form-yet/

"He's certainly not in shape too early," said Lefevere. "Cycling has changed in recent years – you can see that even the big names win in February and are still on form at the Grand Tours. Thomas and Nibali are not in top shape yet, but when you see on Twitter that they have done 250km training rides in December and January, I wonder what good it has done…

Kind of weird. What exactly has changed such that people can hold form for months and months? Too many base miles by the old school?

Anyway, not surprising that he's not in peak form, but kinda scary.

That they're not in peak form? Definitely. Just finding it kinda crazy that he's this strong, this young, and is still rounding into form.

Many have been speculating that he and Pogačar are coming into form too soon, that's what Lefevre is responding to.

I don’t even know what his top form looks like. I feel like he’s been in top form since June last year. The only mediocre permances were the two races in Canada, but he was hardly aiming for them.

TRENDING THREADS