• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
That's because they never have had a GT leader.

When Astana wasn't paying the riders in 2009 and Contador could have broke free, QS was one of the teams. They were willing to become a GT GC team overnight to get him. Were going to allow him to bring 5 of his own riders with him

Go back and look at Uran’s support team at the 2014 Giro in De Gendt, Brambilla, Poels, Pauwels and Sherry. QS can put together a decent GC squad if they desire. Anyway do you think Remco should have pushed the Classics guys out of the PN.

all we can be pretty sure about is that -- had he been at P-N and survived the winds at least as well as Higuita (LOL!) -- he would now be about to take the yellow jersey away from Schachmann. Schachmann's stellar ride here is also giving remco's algarve performance some added heft.

Reactions: spalco
all we can be pretty sure about is that -- had he been at P-N and survived the winds at least as well as Higuita (LOL!) -- he would now be about to take the yellow jersey away from Schachmann. Schachmann's stellar ride here is also giving remco's algarve performance some added heft.
Surviving the echelons is not just down to ability and facing the wind but a lot of experience and vigilance. He was caught out in San Juan this year because he wasn't properly placed. Also in Algarve he couldn't respond to Lopez because he was boxed in. I wouldn't automatically assume he would have been there where Higuita was in the crosswinds.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Surviving the echelons is not just down to ability and facing the wind but a lot of experience and vigilance. He was caught out in San Juan this year because he wasn't properly placed. Also in Algarve he couldn't respond to Lopez because he was boxed in. I wouldn't automatically assume he would have been there where Higuita was in the crosswinds.

Sure. I wasn't really assuming that remco would have gotten through the wind unscathed. however, my point was more to emphasize that when you see how Schachmann kicking butt like this, you can extrapolate as to what remco might be doing, that's all...

Could be denied his place in the history books as youngest grand tour winner by a pesky virus.

On a racing note the win in Paris-Nice from Max gives the Algarve GC from Remco an added sheen.

I bet DQS are regretting not making him the extra permitted rider when the opportunity was given to all teams.
He couldn't have become the youngest grand tour winner in history anyway.

Reactions: Nirvana
In addition:

Can Evenepoel still ride the Giro? "We stick to the plan"

These are bizarre times for all top athletes, including Remco Evenepoel. What is the top talent doing to pass the time in full corona crisis? And how does he keep himself motivated? He explained it in our FB live.

"Try to prepare myself as best as possible"

It rains in the cycling world, but there is also some good news. The Tour of Italy could start in late May. That should also be good news for Remco Evenepoel? "We have to wait and see, but I try to prepare as well as possible."

"The period between the end of the Giro and the Olympics will be shorter. We have not yet communicated with the team about it. But I think we will stick to the plan and then we will see how it is with the recovery period for Tokyo. "

"Everything is moving about a month. It is certainly good news and I am committed to that. The Giro was / is a goal for me and I will also work hard for it. From the new date is final, we will start planning hold on and move on. Then we'll see where we end up. "

"The Giro was / is a goal for me and I will also work hard for it."

"Don't forget to go outside"

How does Evenepoel kill time in full corona crisis? "I have trained intensively in recent days, today was three hours enough. Furthermore, I did not do a lot, apart from a few walks with my girlfriend. We are also going to make TikTok videos together and I also watch a lot of movies and series on Netflix . "

"It is important that people respect the rules. I would also recommend that to everyone. But don't forget to come out every now and then. I am busy with the corona virus, but I am not really afraid. Follow the rules otherwise it will be dangerous. "

Isn't it difficult to stay motivated? "I already have 5 wins on my counter this season. Other riders have not yet won anything or his contract end. The situation is different for them, of course. I just like to cycle, that's my motivation."

"The coronavirus is on my mind, but I am not really afraid."

Is winning the Big Five a goal?

"It is difficult to answer that now. I have only been a professional for a year and a half. I have already talked about this with experienced riders and they predict that I may also want to focus on the cobbled classics when I am older. become."

"For the time being I don't care much about that. Paris-Roubaix might suit me, but my motivation to wring for a climb is higher than my motivation to wring for a cobblestone strip or a short cobblestone slope like the Paterberg."

"I often train in the Flemish Ardennes, but then I do the slopes without cobblestones such as the Berendries or the Valkenberg."

How difficult is it not to jump on the Remco train?

"I just do my job. I do what I have to do and try to get the best out of it every time. People expect that of me too. I think it is very nice and nice that there is a lot of writing and saying. I focus on my goals and work from match to match. I try to get the best out of it and it has worked out well so far. I remain myself and continue to work hard. "

Who are you trying to copy in the peloton?

"Copying is exaggerated, but I really have daily contact with men like Iljo Keisse and Dries Devenyns. They've got my best interest at heart 100% and have tons of experience. You know that you can trust those people blindly. there are several in the team, they know how to "educate" me.

Do you still watch football a lot?

"I have a lot of contact with my host family from my PSV period. I still follow Anderlecht a bit, especially when it was so exciting. I also follow the games of the highest level, especially in the Champions League and the beautiful international matches. I have not really considered that the European Championship has been postponed, hopefully the OS will continue as usual. I think that is the best thing for an athlete. "

What is the best moment of your cycling career?

I happened to think about it today. The Tour of Belgium was special because it was my first victory and even then in my own country. But San Sebastian is still the highlight. There is also the European Championship time trial and my second place at the World Championship time trial. Enough to mention. But after San Sebastian my name in the peloton has grown a bit.

Reactions: alexgem
WCC is now his biggest goal of the year, with Olympics, Giro and Liège not happening (most likely). It is highly unlikely he'll be riding the TDF (especially this year) as his first GT. And given that the Vuelta is so close before the WCC, it is also highly unlikely he'll be riding there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts