• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He points to Roglic 's WCC last year. I don't think he would just tag along and pick out two or three stages.

I think he would recover better than Roglic, he shouldn't forget that Roglic fell several times during the race including on stage 19 so if the Vuelta takes place I would like to see him there unless there is a conflict of dates with the rescheduled Ardennes classics.

Other option could be to ride a rescheduled Giro in October but I don't think it will take place.

Well you are making out that Remco is special - And Roglic had won stage races left,right and centre as well as riding a second GT - Roglic was entitled to be a bit tired.
1/ You appear to be mistaken me for Evenepoel. I simply said what he said.
2/ You don't think he's special?
3/ Whether you believe he's special or not, he's still only 20 years old and has never ridden a GT before.
4/ Nobody said Roglic isn't special.

So if Roglic is entitled to be tired, so would he given his age and experience, yet Roglic didn't make the WCC a major goal (like Remco this year).

1/ You appear to be mistaken me for Evenepoel. I simply said what he said.
2/ You don't think he's special?
3/ Whether you believe he's special or not, he's still only 20 years old and has never ridden a GT before.
4/ Nobody said Roglic isn't special.

So if Roglic is entitled to be tired, so would he given his age and experience, yet Roglic didn't make the WCC a major goal (like Remco this year).

There is unlikely to be any racing until August so all riders will have a limited preparation for the world's - In no way is the Vuelta a bad preparation for the World's.

Lefevre says Evenepoel was the first to contact him and ask if he didn't have to refund part of his wages during the Corona crisis. Now, you can say that it's easier for him, since he likely doesn't have a mortgage or other loans, doesn't have kids etc, but it doesn't really align with the picture some like to paint of him, of being an arrogant and self-centered brat.

I had the same feeling reading the articles about him these last days. Lefevere also said Evenepoel comes up with ideas of his own to give the team sponsors more exposure on social media these days to help save the teams future. I think it's quite remarkable for a 20 year old kid who has so much talent that he would always get a strong deal with a top team no matter which or how many teams would fall over.

I would add this interview as well:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/remco-evenepoel-these-are-my-heroes/

Putting his parents at the very top of his list of heroes as well as remembering the riders who have sadly lost their life on the road shows his remarkably humble and kind spirit (at least off the bike). I am often amazed by his incredible maturity at such a young age.

Not to forget his behaviour during the European Championships ITT last year, that was not the reaction of someone arrogant and self-centered! It was one thing that he was clearly thinking about Bjorg Lambrecht, I think everyone was at that time, he also took time to mention Stef Loos.
Oh, and I think he might have been one of the only (non-Danish) pros who took the time to pay tribute to Andreas Byskov, a guy he might have barely known.

As for on the bike; I'd say he simply behaves like someone confident about his own skills, and why shouldn't he? He's… quite good.

I would not call him arrogant. Just a little narcissistic. Not in a massive way. Of course I might be totally wrong. But there are people who know how to make friends, that does not necessarily mean they are really so very interested in other people. Well, that's a general remark, not especially fitted to Evenepoel.

End of september world championships, immediately followed by the Giro. Then some rest during the Vuelta to get ready for the classics in November. That should still suit him to win all of it in a clean sweep.

(i'm kidding)

The big unknown there are the classics.
I would imagine thatsome of them would overlap with the Giro (maybe not Il Lombardia but the LBL could be held in October).

Presuming no overlap in the calendar I would envisage it being in order of priority Worlds ITT, Worlds RR, Ardennes Classics, Giro, Lombardy
With Giro following right after the worlds, i think it would make sense that those would be his biggest goals now. Only if the Ardennes classics would precede the worlds (which i find unlikely, given the TDF is scheduled then) would it make sense that he would favor them over Giro. But there still isn't a schedule for the classics, so i think he'll just focus on what he can plan for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wvv
Last edited:
The aerodynamics do appear to be even more significant a factor in real life road cycling than we ever thought.

On the surface this type of effort would have seemed ideal for Remco.

Maybe psychology is a factor and some of these guys putting in hugely powerful 45 minute rides in these virtual races actually ought to be performing much better in Individual Time Trials than they have in the past but just never believed it before and pushed themselves to their limits.

TRENDING THREADS