• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
As Lefevere said the important thing is that he’s alive.

I was honestly terrified about him. I was watching on my phone, so not great picture and without sound, and I couldn't figure out for sure if that bike was his, but then the replay and the certainty that he fell over the bridge, which looked very high. Had tears in my eyes thinking he's probably dead. This *** sport...

Fight on Remco!

I'm amazed that the first thing he said to Lefevere was "sorry". Tells you all you need to know about his attitude to his sport. Relieved that his injury are comparatively minor, when I saw the first replay of the crash I thought at first he just plummeted down the entire length of the bridge. I don't remember having ever been so scared looking at a TV.

It feels like it's getting harder every year to even watch bike races just for fear of something awful happening on every descent or other dangerous situations - as a kid I used to hardly care about crashes at all, today it's very different.

Reactions: spalco
Ok buddy. Ok. This can happen to anyone, but the most inexperienced yet hungry riders first. For me the team has a responsibility.

Bad take.

He made a mistake in a turn. It happens. Usually not with this outcome. But it was at a bad place to make that mistake, on a bridge with a ravin, at the wrong time.

How on earth could that be blamed on the team? He knew about that descent before the race and it would have been mentioned at every meeting leading up to the race, and in the actual race when they were about to reach the top of the climb over radio.

He went too fast and misjudged it. Now it is about his recovery.

Last edited:
I'm amazed that the first thing he said to Lefevere was "sorry". Tells you all you need to know about his attitude to his sport. Relieved that his injury are comparatively minor, when I saw the first replay of the crash I thought at first he just plummeted down the entire length of the bridge. I don't remember having ever been so scared looking at a TV.

It feels like it's getting harder every year to even watch bike races just for fear of something awful happening on every descent or other dangerous situations - as a kid I used to hardly care about crashes at all, today it's very different.
The only time I was more shocked seeing a cycling accident was a week ago in Pologne.. Two of my favorite riders, both looked like they could be gone. What a shitty year.

Reactions: Naico
Bad take.

He made a mistake in a turn. It happens. Usually not with this outcome. But it was at a bad place to make that mistake, on a bridge with a ravin, at the wrong time.

How on earth could that be blamed on the team? He knew about that descent before the race and it have would been mentioned at every meeting leading up to the race, and in the actual race when they were about to reach the top of the climb over radio.

He went too fast and misjudged it. Now it is about his recovery.
Bad take? The team knew, they signed a guy that only been riding a bike for a year and a half. The team knew he didn't get to have the time in the U23 and even the first 2 to 3 years as a pro rider, where these guys learn the ropes without any pressure (because they are not even supposed to fight for victory in a monument or GC at 23 years old). Other young riders get to ride the Vuelta two times, then the Giro at least once, before they are deemed ready to be competitive in the mountains.
The fact that he has been winning and can push the pedals hard, does not take away from the fact that he did not have the experience to deal with such a situation, when he assumes he has to follow the guys in front of him. We've seen him get caught out in crosswinds twice this season, getting boxed at the time you know an attack is coming. There are many gaps in his development. Yes, the team should have prepared him better for something like this.

At the end of the day he is who he is and he makes the calls. No one is riding his bike for him. Im sure he has been told all the information and coaching he needs to succeed.

Saying it was bound to happen, is also some real smug xx to say.
I didn't say it after the facts. I said it before. And it has nothing to do with "i told you so", but everything with being angry with the team that they didn't protect him well enough.

Wasn't he able to follow on the descent because of poor bike handling skills because he only started cycling late in life? Or was he put on the limit by the hard racing the whole day?

If there was one guy not on the limit during the climbs, it was him. They were setting the pace for him, and in the hospital he told Lefevere he was going to win.

Reactions: Gigs_98
The only time I was more shocked seeing a cycling accident was a week ago in Pologne.. Two of my favorite riders, both looked like they could be gone. What a shitty year.

Wouter Weylandt (2011 Giro) being given chest compressions in the middle of the road had tears streaming down my face. I can Never Forget those images and never will. Unfortunately he died :(.

Hopefully Remco will heal well and quickly! He is young, he will come back strong :)

• Sad
Reactions: RedheadDane
Bad take.

I noticed that Evenepoel seemed almost too excited on the first part of the descend when I watched the race. Maybe I'm reading way too much into it, but large amounts of confidence and only a few years of experience can be a dangerous cocktail.

He said the two riders in front of him had to correct their cornering at some point, which is why he hit the brakes a bit too hard and got gapped. Inexperience.
But wasn't he a few seconds behind at that point?

Last edited:
Reactions: GuntherL
But wasn't he a few seconds behind at that point?
Yes ,that's what i wrote.

Lefevere told the press what Remco told him, and i assume some things got lost underway. Remco said "that was the reason". I think Lefevere at that time assumed "the reason for the crash". Since we know that's not the case because those guys were riding a few meters/seconds in front of him, i assume it's the reason why he got gapped in the first place, and made an error trying to close that gap.

Bad take? The team knew, they signed a guy that only been riding a bike for a year and a half. The team knew he didn't get to have the time in the U23 and even the first 2 to 3 years as a pro rider, where these guys learn the ropes without any pressure (because they are not even supposed to fight for victory in a monument or GC at 23 years old). Other young riders get to ride the Vuelta two times, then the Giro at least once, before they are deemed ready to be competitive in the mountains.
The fact that he has been winning and can push the pedals hard, does not take away from the fact that he did not have the experience to deal with such a situation, when he assumes he has to follow the guys in front of him. We've seen him get caught out in crosswinds twice this season, getting boxed at the time you know an attack is coming. There are many gaps in his development. Yes, the team should have prepared him better for something like this.

I didn't say it after the facts. I said it before. And it has nothing to do with "i told you so", but everything with being angry with the team that they didn't protect him well enough.

Delusional.

It is not the teams fault. Insisting on that and that ”he wasnt ready” can’t be blamed on the team nor is it factual. Because you have no idea what type of training and coachning he has recieved. At the end of the day Remco is there because he wants to and on that bike.

Results say that he is more than ready. Facts.
That riders crash. Facts.
That riders with experience crash. Facts.

You have made a complete embarrasment of yourself for pointing out that you predicted this. And how you have been conducting yourself.

And a rider doesnt learn if he don’t race. So he was never gonna learn just training, outside of a race situation.

He, himself, made the call to take that turn that way. Unfortunate outcome and place to make that mistake. If he had 10 years of experience he would have done better? Is that even a point you wanna continue to argue? Because then he shouldnt have gone pro until 30. And whose call was it to go pro? He had the last say in that.

You just wanna be Mr smartypants after the fact and blame the team for not forseeing a crash. That you somehow did. 1 in a million type of thing. That you predicted the place. A place where crashes usually happens. So maybe your beef should be with the organiser.

He could have crashed at any point with your lack of experience argument. Which riders do for various reasons.

I hope he recovers and will be back. It would be sad to see him go out like this.

Now I’m done with this topic.

Last edited:
I really doubt this is as bad as Beloki's injury. Beloki broke his femur in two places and it was obvious from the get-go it was crazy serious. Evenepoel had lots of rumours that he did not even have fractures.

Mentally it is also different. You have a 30 year old Beloki who already reached his peak and may not have been as prepared to go through the whole slow revalidation. Evenepoel is much younger. Even if it leaves damage theoretically it is even possible that he returns stronger than he was now without being quite as alien as he otherwise would have been. That would still be plenty and does not sound equally difficult mentally as a beloki who knows what his peak is and Sees himself falling painfully short.

Anyway let's not get pessimistic. Most People I know who watch cycling but don't frequent forums are not even worried about it.

Also Andy Schleck was declining even before the injury. And surely our medical practices have improved since 2003.

Schleck has finished 2nd or 3rd in the Tour the previous year and would’ve been the top favorite with Wiggins at the 2012 Tour if he hadn’t crashed.

Reactions: Panda Claws
Delusional.

It is not the teams fault. Insisting on that and that ”he wasnt ready” can’t be blamed on the team nor is it factual. Because you have no idea what type of training and coachning he has recieved. At the end of the day Remco is there because he wants to and on that bike.

You have made a complete embarrasment of yourself for pointing out that you predicted this. And how you have been conducting yourself.

And a rider doesnt learn if he don’t race. So he was never gonna learn just training, outside of a race situation.

He, himself, made the call to take that turn that way. Unfortunate outcome and place to make that mistake. If he had 10 years of experience he would have done better? Is that even a point you wanna continue to argue? Because then he shouldnt have gone pro until 30. And whose call was it to go pro? He had the last say in that.

You just wanna be Mr smartypants after the fact and blame the team for not forseeing a crash. That you somehow did. 1 in a million type of thing. That you predicted the place. A place where crashes usually happens. So maybe your beef should be with the organiser.

He could have crashed at any point with your lack of experience argument. Which riders do for various reasons.

I hope he recovers and will be back. It would be sad to see him go out like this.

lol, talk about making an embarrassment of yourself.
I said the team has a responsibility, i didn't say they are the only party to blame.

Inexperienced riders have a higher chance of crashing than experienced ones: FACT
Results of being able to push the most watts uphill and on the flat, are completely besides the point in this case: FACT

Reactions: Gigs_98
I haven't seen his Xray so I won't try to play doc, but I have fractured my pelvis twice, both on the same side. One is a near the top of the pubic bone and the other is in the ischium near the femur socket. Once healed, the first one didn't have any issues, but the second has been a 15 year battle of issues which can be summed up with the 'final' diagnosis of ischial-femoral impingement. Getting a seat set correctly is a PAINstaking process, and even then, there are plenty of uncomfortable times on the bike.

Most of my ride now are two hour mountain bike rides, but I know that there is no way to do six to eight hour road days, day after day. He could probably get it fixed correctly instead of just letting them fix themselves, but I hope that his fracture is up in the flat part of the ilium so the the chances of later issues are really low.

GET WELL young man!
The fracture is in the head of the femur and the pelvis (socket) around it. I don't know if that is the official report plus I still don't want to play doc, but that is likely the worst location. Some of it will also depend on soft tissue damage. I'll hope for the best!

EDIT:
"We would like to inform you that Remco Evenepoel had a quiet night at the hospital and that the evolution of his condition is good. Due to the nature of the injury, Remco has to be transported by plane to Belgium in a supine position.
The team is doing everything possible to bring him back home as soon as possible, hopefully in the next twenty-four hours, in the most efficient and safe way."

Last edited:
Delusional.

You could even make a case that Belgians have a problem in descents. Gilbert, Bakelants, De Plus and now Evenepoel.

lol, talk about making an embarrassment of yourself.
I said the team has a responsibility, i didn't say they are the only party to blame.

Inexperienced riders have a higher chance of crashing than experienced ones: FACT
Results of being able to push the most watts uphill and on the flat, are completely besides the point in this case: FACT
Easy there, cowboy.
Some of the riders involved in crashes in descents the past few years, were very experienced like Gilbert and Bakelants.
Kruijswijk crashed at age 28 in similar circumstances (pressure by Nibali)
Fuglsang was just lucky in L-B-L last year.

I'd say that experience in Cyclocross or MTB are the main factors to reduce the chance of this kind of crashes.
Age? Not so much.

Reactions: Salvarani