• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Yeah, it's pretty insane. Like, I think if he actually gets to something like 10 grand tours people won't talk about this crash that much, but imagine he wins about 3 or 4 gt's and maybe gets a monument or two. He would be
among the most succesful cyclists of his generation but because the expectations for him are so astronomical it would be seen as a disappointment.
I don’t know if it was intentional, but you almost exactly describe Fignon’s career. Of course, he won his two Tours before his injury in 1985. But he added a Giro and two Monuments after it, and yet his career as a whole still feels like he failed to fulfill his potential.

For the details, Wiki:

On 9 September, Merckx participated in a three-round omnium event at the concrete velodrome in Blois where each rider was to be paced by a derny. Fernand Wambst was Merckx's pacer for the contest. After winning the first intermediate sprint of the first round, Wambst chose to slow their pace and move to the back of the race despite Merckx wanting to stay out in front for fear of an accident. Wambst wanted to pass everyone to provide a show for the crowd. The duo then increased their pace and began to pass each of the other contestants; however, as they passed the riders in first position, the leading derny lost control and crashed into the wall. Wambst chose to avoid the derny by going below it, but the leader's derny came back down and collided with Wambst, while Merckx's pedal caught one of the dernies. The two riders landed head first onto the track.[80]

Wambst died of a fractured skull as he was being transported to a hospital. Merckx remained unconscious for 45 minutes and awoke in the operating room. He sustained a concussion, whiplash, trapped nerves in his back, a displaced pelvis, and several other cuts and bruises. He remained at the hospital for a week before returning to Belgium. He spent six weeks in bed before beginning to race again in October. Merckx later stated that he "was never the same again" after the crash. He would constantly adjust his seat during races to help ease the pain.[ Merckx stopped racing on 26 October to recuperate.

Few remember the accident...

And for those who don't know, this was in 1969, before the vast majority of his victories.

I'm usually a fan of the approach to send young gt hopefuls to the giro before they give it a go at the tour. Now I have to admit it must be tempting to try the tour next season, as he probably would have if not for that accident, but I still think he should try to get some gt experience first. You know, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Remco is so young that he should still have more than enough chances to win as many tours as he wishes, if he is as good as many think he is. Really no need to burn out early.

I'm usually a fan of the approach to send young gt hopefuls to the giro before they give it a go at the tour. Now I have to admit it must be tempting to try the tour next season, as he probably would have if not for that accident, but I still think he should try to get some gt experience first. You know, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Remco is so young that he should still have more than enough chances to win as many tours as he wishes, if he is as good as many think he is. Really no need to burn out early.

Why not just do the double?

Good prep for the OGRR ;)

i have to say that - as a cycling fan - i have been quite affected by Remco's crash. Mainly because there was to be so much potential excitement from what he might achieve at the age of 20.

he was basically going to be a favorite at every single race on his program.

Lombardy
Belgian ITT
Euro ITT
Tirreno
Giro
...etc...

there is no reason not to believe that he may have won every single race (at least the GC) he entered...

it would be setting a precedent unheard of in history - and made even more extraordinary by the fact that it was accomplished in modern times.

he may have even been rider of the year.

at age 20.

i am definitely left with a feeling of "what may have been..."

now i am just hoping, hoping that he is able to fully recover.

i have to say that - as a cycling fan - i have been quite affected by Remco's crash. Mainly because there was to be so much potential excitement from what he might achieve at the age of 20.

he was basically going to be a favorite at every single race on his program.

Lombardy
Belgian ITT
Euro ITT
Tirreno
Giro
...etc...

there is no reason not to believe that he may have won every single race (at least the GC) he entered...

it would be setting a precedent unheard of in history - and made even more extraordinary by the fact that it was accomplished in modern times.

he may have even been rider of the year.

at age 20.

i am definitely left with a feeling of "what may have been..."

now i am just hoping, hoping that he is able to fully recover.

All I can say is +1, you said exactly what I've been feeling. I was shocked and bummed when the crash happened, not just for concern for him, but the disappointment at what could have been. He was looking incredible in that race.

Some interesting quotes translated from Hungarian:

I wanted to win the World Cup last year, but Rohan Dennis beat me for a minute. It was written on my face what I felt. But I also had to digest it. You can develop in this, I just know.

It’s not good for the spectators if a competition is boring. That there is a monotonous pace and at the end a little fireworks. I like spontaneous attacks.

I have pretty serious mood swings, it’s hard with me at times like this. I can’t stand it if something changes at the last minute. I have a precise schedule, I hate it when someone comes in and drags me through. Sometimes I show autistic traits.

I had a dream of standing on the podium of the Giro in pink. At such times, of course, I pinch myself and say to myself, ‘Remco, you’re not there yet.’. And this has now been confirmed. But I have a winning mentality. I will do my best to come back stronger.

Evenepoel: Posting is not in my dictionary

Remco Evenepoel is the rider who wasn’t caught by the coronavirus either. He won pretty much everything he could before and after the shutdown. Until he fell into a chasm on Lombardy. The accident did not wear him mentally at all, he already promises he will return even stronger.

"Life is like a time trial." This quote is for you that life is unpredictable, you have to be prepared for everything. Not to mention, 2020 was full of twists and turns. How are you now?

This sentence is even more my favorite now. Life is a roller coaster, and danger can lurk there for you in any bend. When trouble strikes, you need to react immediately and redesign everything. But what just happened gives me even more strength, because posting isn’t in my dictionary.

In February, everyone talked about whether you had a chance at Olympic gold in the singles.

Yes, if everything had gone as planned, the medal would now probably be there in the showcase. Fortunately, however, I am young, and my career has just begun.

A lot of people have said about you that if you want to be a really great champion, you also have to experience the downsides of things.

Then now they hope they fell silent. (laughs) I've been involved in a lot of things before, but I think life is about getting ready to fight all the time. Those who know me know that it is very difficult to break me mentally. I wanted to win the World Cup last year, but Rohan Dennis beat me for a minute. It was written on my face what I felt. But I also had to digest it. You can develop in this, I just know.

Will you dare to race bravely when you return?

Of course. I love to take risks. It has to be attacked, it’s not good for the spectators if a competition is boring. That there is a monotonous pace and at the end a little fireworks. I like spontaneous attacks.

How can you withstand the pressure at such a young age?

Maybe because I know myself well. Maybe because I was independent at a very young age. I had to be independent early on. I think that explains a lot.

Would parental babysitting have made you another person?

For sure. The loving family was always there as a background, but I was raised to solve it as much as I could. What I want is to achieve on my own. I will want to raise my own children this way too.

Why did you switch from football to cycling?

I no longer found joy in football. At Anderlecht, moreover, they were undeservedly set aside. I took a big risk with the kero. I didn't know if I would be good. I was with him that if I didn’t get to a level in three months, I would get out. Two months later, I won my first race. (name)

Have you always had a goal to be a top athlete?

As soon as it turned out I might have a chance, the school was immediately pushed into the background. When I started making money with it, I realized that I was actually making my dream come true now.

You have 360 thousand followers on Instagram. Obviously everyone wants to be your friend. How can you handle this?

You have to learn to say no. I learned to say yes instead of ‘maybe later’.

Present or at all important family events. Why are these so important to you?

There are few people next to me, but they have to adapt to me in a lot of things. It feels good to give something back. I wouldn't be anywhere without them.

Your girlfriend is a college student. Is it important for you to study well and have a good job, or do you rather imagine he will be home?

It’s hard because we don’t live together yet and we see little of each other. I don’t want you to completely sacrifice your own life for me. During the quarantine, I had the time and opportunity to be with him a lot and pamper him. I like to pamper people, buy gifts for my parents, my girlfriend.

What bad qualities do you have?

I have pretty serious mood swings, it’s hard with me at times like this. I can’t stand it if something changes at the last minute. I have a precise schedule, I hate it when someone comes in and drags me through. Sometimes I show autistic traits.

How are you doing with your food and drink? Can you easily adhere to your diet and that you don’t drink?

The thing is evolving, but the truth is, I’m at a difficult age for that. But I'm starting to find a balance.

Is there anything missing?

No, because I can eat everything after all. After an intense workout, I also have chocolate and ice cream, which is my weakness.

If you imagine the future in front of you, what do you see?

That there will be something to pay tribute to in the Main Square of Brussels.

But for that, you probably have to be an Olympic or a world champion ...

Yes, something like that. (laughs) I dream of big victories, sometimes I literally dream too. I had a dream of standing on the podium of the Giro in pink. At such times, of course, I pinch myself and say to myself, ‘Remco, you’re not there yet.’. And this has now been confirmed. But I have a winning mentality. I will do my best to come back stronger.

Good insights there, he seems to have his own personality traits well figured out which will help him a lot. Him raising the shades of autism makes logical sense against what we know of how driven he is and wanting a clear path.

All good signs that he is accepting the accident and focusing on recovery in a positive manner rather than letting the disappointment of missing out on the chance to achieve record breaking precocious feats in 2020 consume him.

I don’t know if it was intentional, but you almost exactly describe Fignon’s career. Of course, he won his two Tours before his injury in 1985. But he added a Giro and two Monuments after it, and yet his career as a whole still feels like he failed to fulfill his potential.

I think losing the Tour to Lemond by a few seconds in the final stage is what makes people think about Fignon's career as a failure somewhat a failure. But his is a great palmares.

wow, it seems he is not recovering very fast... :-(

my 61 year old brother just had his hip replaced two weeks ago (after a bike accident), he is walking and driving already.

i realize these injuries can be very different, but i am a little shocked to still see him going so gingerly on crutches.

hoping for a michael woods like recovery. not a froome one.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

my 61 year old brother just had his hip replaced two weeks ago (after a bike accident), he is walking and driving already.

i realize these injuries can be very different, but i am a little shocked to still see him going so gingerly on crutches.

You absolutely cannot compare the two injuries. After a hip surgery the goal is to put patients on their feet as early as the same day. Here this is a conservative treatment, without surgery. It takes a little bit more time but there is way less long term effects.

I mentioned this a few pages back. Surgery brings you back faster but has a much higher chance of causing problems.

Non-surgical outcomes yield much higher success rates in terms of full recovery.

Edit: correction of the word "rings" to "brings"

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS