• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 145 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I don't blame Remco, i feel the team could have done a better job guiding him. Again.

In an interview this weekend Lefevere acknowledges that it was the team who has failed Remco and that Remco is not to blame. He just does everything he is told to do.

Lefevere says that his own doctors and the staff in Herentals reacted too optimistically.

Nevertheless they still aim for the Giro. If Remco can get a basic condition level, Lefevere would like him to start even if he's not in top shape, without pressure and without podium ambitions, to learn how he reacts to a Grand Tour.

I don't blame Remco, i feel the team could have done a better job guiding him. Again.
Probably yeah.

I have to imagine athletes in general and especially cyclists are much mroe prone to overextending in rehab because they're just that used to being on the pain limit. Seems very negligent to not be super on top of the rehab of your brightest talent, especially considering he wasn't making it to any big races in 2020 anyway. Maybe COVID played a role but still.

Right now I think it doesn't really make sense to set big goals for him this year right now. Just rehab properly and then set the goals.

In an interview this weekend Lefevere acknowledges that it was the team who has failed Remco and that Remco is not to blame. He just does everything he is told to do.

Lefevere says that his own doctors and the staff in Herentals reacted too optimistically.

Nevertheless they still aim for the Giro. If Remco can get a basic condition level, Lefevere would like him to start even if he's not in top shape, without pressure and without podium ambitions, to learn how he reacts to a Grand Tour.

<<Unpopular take>>

What else is he going to say publicly when Evenepoel is the biggest asset his team has?

<<Unpopular take>>

<<Unpopular take>>

What else is he going to say publicly when Evenepoel is the biggest asset his team has?

<<Unpopular take>>
Even if it were Evenepoel's own doing, it would still have been the (medical) team's responsibility to guide him. If indeed he is the team's biggest asset, you would expect them to watch over him like a hawk. It's not because he can ride fast and push the pedals hard, that he is anything but an inexperienced 20 year old (he turned 21 this week i think) that needs to be told and monitored. Him winning races and being up there with the best, doesn't change the fact that he's only been riding a bike competitively for 3 years and has never had a serious injury.

Other than that, there are a number of things Lefevere could have said to avert blame from Remco, without pointing the finger to the medical team (if undeserved). One could simply be "complications". Voila, unforseen, nobody to blame, case closed.

Even if it were Evenepoel's own doing, it would still have been the (medical) team's responsibility to guide him. If indeed he is the team's biggest asset, you would expect them to watch over him like a hawk. It's not because he can ride fast and push the pedals hard, that he is anything but an inexperienced 20 year old (he turned 21 this week i think) that needs to be told and monitored. Him winning races and being up there with the best, doesn't change the fact that he's only been riding a bike competitively for 3 years and has never had a serious injury.

Other than that, there are a number of things Lefevere could have said to avert blame from Remco, without pointing the finger to the medical team (if undeserved). One could simply be "complications". Voila, unforseen, nobody to blame, case closed.

What you write about guidance is true, but just from my own experience (and it's a slightly different thing) when I had surgery, one of the first things that my surgeon told me was to make my GP aware if I was to have any issues during recovery.

Given that Evenepoel very likely had much better medical care than I did, I doubt that he wasn't also made aware that he should inform them in case of any issues.

And using word "complications" would also put the medical team in question.

What you write about guidance is true, but just from my own experience (and it's a slightly different thing) when I had surgery, one of the first things that my surgeon told me was to make my GP aware if I was to have any issues during recovery.

Given that Evenepoel very likely had much better medical care than I did, I doubt that he wasn't also made aware that he should inform them in case of any issues.

And using word "complications" would also put the medical team in question.
I'm sure he had better care than you, but you also aren't a professional athlete (i assume), or if so, a multimillion standout talent at that (again, unless you are Pogacar or Bernal). So it only makes sense that you would not get the same care, and the doc would not go through the same lenghts guiding you and pointing out the severity of the situation given your physical well-being is also your livelyhood, since not only wouldn't it matter for you nearly as much, but you also wouldn't be put in a situation where you could possibly hamper your own recovery, like a pro athlete would by overdoing it too early.

Lefevere said to Evenepoel's mom, that he would take care of him like his own son, when he signed Remco 2 years ago. However, the team knew how ambitious he was, how hungry for glory, how inexperienced, how brazen... and after failing to tone him down in the actual race when it mattered most, they again failed to tone him down in his recovery.

Probably yeah.

I have to imagine athletes in general and especially cyclists are much mroe prone to overextending in rehab because they're just that used to being on the pain limit. Seems very negligent to not be super on top of the rehab of your brightest talent, especially considering he wasn't making it to any big races in 2020 anyway. Maybe COVID played a role but still.

Right now I think it doesn't really make sense to set big goals for him this year right now. Just rehab properly and then set the goals.
This is definitely his first big lesson: own your training and recovery regimen. The days past of team "doctors" encouraging and injecting riders to keep them in races to fulfill team obligations should be long gone. Remco needs to separate his training analysis from his boosters and outside interests, if he hasn't already. I can't imagine laboring under the huge expectations he's had heaped on his shoulders but his recovery, like Froome's could take awhile.

Kid is ridiculous, probably doesn’t even need that many warm up races, will still be flying in the Giro. was trying to find his epic Poland win on YouTube but there isn’t much, that was arguably his best win so far for me.
Could be, I hope so, but the "let's let him ride the Giro without ambitions" narrative isn't really working for me. I can't imagine this kid riding without the intent to win. If he's not close to top form, I would question letting him ride the Giro to "get a feel for a 3-week Tour". I wonder if it would be more frustrating rather than useful.

View: https://twitter.com/EvenepoelRemco/status/1358746151193870336

If I were him, I'd just focus on the Olympics (both TT and race) and the TT WC this year and chose the other races accordingly.

I hope half-assing the giro woun't ruin his entire season.
I would try to get ready for the Giro, but keep still the first two weeks and do the bare minimum. Then see how far the third week takes him. Apparently he's been doing other things like swimming to maintain his condition. He doesn't have to start from scratch.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Great news but baby steps please and no rushing into high intensity training to try to play catch up.

With this season looking as open to disruption as last year gaining shape and getting a gauge of his ability at high level events would be the best strategy in my view rather than focussing in too much on one set goal.

Obviously the Worlds on home soil will be a huge motivation along with the Olympics.

The Dauphine would be a good one week race target ahead of the Olympics if the Giro proves to be too soon in his recovery process as the field is stacked and would be a good marker against the likes of Roglic plus the Ineos Tour A team.

TRENDING THREADS