• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 146 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
The Giro is in less than 3 months. Today, Evenepoel is just allowed to rehabilitate on a bike. First on zwift. Very carefully. Not outside on a bike, also because there is currently snow and ice on the roads of Belgium. Starting basic training after cycling rehab will not be possible untill the end of February/begin of March. The basic training that his teammates or opponents started in december. From april he will be able to gradually switch to more focused training (as others did begin january). From the second part of april, he will be able to train in a competition-oriented way. But still without competition. Competition will be possible at the earliest at the end of April, beginning of May. Maybe in the Tour of Romandia. But Evenepoel will never be ready for a three-week competition starting on May 8th. It's a risk to throw him into a stage race so quickly (after his rehabilitation), at his young age, and immediately for three weeks. On the other hand, he is young, strong and talented. He might surprise us. But it would be better to aim for a re-appearance in Switserland or the Dauphiné. And then start to prepare the Olympics. To be the first major stage race to ride the Vuelta.

I don't know why he still wants to ride the Giro. Evenepoel is a such a big talent that everything is possible, but why should he ride a hard grand tours shortly after such a injury with ongoing problems? He still so young and doesn't have a lot of base kilometres. I think that is a risk again because he doesn't seems to be a guy who stops when the body says stop. That could be a problem after the Giro.

Reactions: Big Doopie
I don't know why he still wants to ride the Giro. Evenepoel is a such a big talent that everything is possible, but why should he ride a hard grand tours shortly after such a injury with ongoing problems? He still so young and doesn't have a lot of base kilometres. I think that is a risk again because he doesn't seems to be a guy who stops when the body says stop. That could be a problem after the Giro.
None of us know what level he's at. It's not like he crashed 2 months ago and just got out of bed. He had already been training (with pain) for over a month in december, and since he'd been pulled off the bike, he's been doing cardio and swimming. On top of that, even just riding the Giro in the peloton for experience and maybe going for a stagewin in the third week, could prove invaluable if he were to go to the Vuelta later with the intention to win. They can still pull him out if needed.

We know he has a high base level, so getting ready for "riding the Giro without expectations/pressure" should certainly be doable. The problem is will he and/or the team make the right call in case things don't go as planned, or when issues (re)surface. Because i've lost some faith in his entourage.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
If the Giro does indeed have little time trial kms, I think that he should forget about the overall and focus instead on winning stages.

If his recovery doesn't go as fast as planned perhaps it would be better to skip the Giro entirely, race some of the rescheduled Spanish races in May before Dauphine/Suisse + NC + Olympics + Vuelta + WC.

I think he needs to practice descending Alpine mountains before he goes to the Giro.
Just trying to follow the likes of Nibali is a skill that the juniors didn't teach him.
He definitely needs to do that but arguably also needs to accept he will never be an elite bike handler or descender and to lay off and go within his limits and look to regain contact on the valley roads.

QuickStep has come to amazing new insights. Super interesting knowledge unknown to mankind back in October 2020. They have since come to the conclusion that Remco's fracture is very uncommon (WHO KNEW, right?) and needs specific attention, and they will monitor his exercises and efforts closely in order to build up slowly and under supervision. Remember how Evenepoel could jump on the bike and go to Spain to train on his own in Autumn 2020.

He will now do short training sessions on the rollers indoor for the first week up to 90 minutes per day over multiple sessions. He's done some Zwift rides in Watopia of 165 W average. After the first week they will see how he does and feels together with the doctor. Only when he can do 3 to 4 hours a day, does it make sense to train outside.

@Logic-is-your-friend.
Repeating the same what I have written before, doesn't add value to the discussion.
More important. What is the prognosis about the recovery and when is it whorty of competition ? And being able to compete, doesn't mean that Evenpoel can handle a tough three-week stage race in a responsible and safe manner. For me, competing in the Giro would have been ideal, if Evenepoel hadn't had this terrible injury. But in the current circumstances participate in the Giro is a mistake.

@Logic-is-your-friend.
Repeating the same what I have written before, doesn't add value to the discussion.
More important. What is the prognosis about the recovery and when is it whorty of competition ? And being able to compete, doesn't mean that Evenpoel can handle a tough three-week stage race in a responsible and safe manner. For me, competing in the Giro would have been ideal, if Evenepoel hadn't had this terrible injury. But in the current circumstances participate in the Giro is a mistake.

Just a small tip.

Logic can't see your posts because he has blocked you. And if I may be so free (I probably may not), reading your first sentence, one can understand why.

That said, I tend to agree that a continued focus on the Giro seems to be misguided if he is first able to train now. But I think the picture will become clearer when he appears in a race.

Just a small tip.

Logic can't see your posts because he has blocked you. And if I may be so free (I probably may not), reading your first sentence, one can understand why.

That said, I tend to agree that a continued focus on the Giro seems to be misguided if he is first able to train now. But I think the picture will become clearer when he appears in a race.
The reason why i blocked him isn't because he's blunt (i know i can be too now and then) but because he drags you into BS discussions, where he keeps hammering on the slightest detail he may have gotten right , while ignoring an abundance of facts and arguments you make against the actual point he was making. Then he will keep pestering you about whatever insignificant thing you were wrong about page after page, while ignoring the elephant in the room that is taking a giant dump on his own arguments.

He definitely needs to do that but arguably also needs to accept he will never be an elite bike handler or descender and to lay off and go within his limits and look to regain contact on the valley roads.
He's just a kid with 3+ years on the bike. I wouldn't put "never" next to anything about him. He could end up being a crap descender, or one of the best ever. All remains to be seen.

Off topic, I think this isn't the place to discuss how, when, or why someone was or wasn't blocked. It's an Evenepoel thread, and personal spats are noise. Simple solution is to stop blocking people and just ignore their posts so we don't have to read about how someone has been blocked for the 3rd or 4th time...takes a modicum of self control, I know...

Last edited:
He's just a kid with 3+ years on the bike. I wouldn't put "never" next to anything about him. He could end up being a crap descender, or one of the best ever. All remains to be seen.

Off topic, I think this isn't the place to discuss how, when, or why someone was or wasn't blocked. It's an Evenepoel thread, and personal spats are noise. Simple solution is to stop blocking people and just ignore their posts so we don't have to read about how someone has been blocked for the 3rd or 4th time...takes a modicum of self control, I know...

I agree that it is subjective and I definitely think he can improve with experience to the point where he becomes at least good at descending but I don’t see how to get to Sagan type level where it is so natural. It doesn’t mean that his fate is to always be in the Schleck/Zakarin bracket downhill.

File-904x1536.jpg

Reactions: Jungle Cycle
I think he needs to practice descending Alpine mountains before he goes to the Giro.
Just trying to follow the likes of Nibali is a skill that the juniors didn't teach him.
He needs to practice everything. He's starting from scratch, has a contract that pays him to get better at a pace that makes sense rather than playing into the hype-schedule his handlers may encourage. There is a reason that Tadej "came from nowhere" and succeeded. He followed his best instincts and didn't pretend to be the next big thing. This guy had what it took but needs to tell his long lost relatives to watch him on TV and quit coaching him from their hallowed past. That includes his DS and other folks. If it doesn't work he can go play football.

Just a small tip.

Oh... ? That's how it works ? It shows great weakness to block someone..... who responds on incorrect posts from a person having himself no arguments to substantiate those incorrect posts. At the end, that person (here Logic-is-your-friend and you ?) has no persons left to argue with. Because he blocked anyone with a different opinion. Democracy in 2021 ? It can't get any crazier.

Oh... ? That's how it works ? It shows great weakness to block someone..... who responds on incorrect posts from a person having himself no arguments to substantiate those incorrect posts. At the end, that person (here Logic-is-your-friend and you ?) has no persons left to argue with. Because he blocked anyone with a different opinion. Democracy in 2021 ? It can't get any crazier.

I will be demonstrating that great weakness myself, now, too.

Fare thee well, Zoef-lightning.

Last edited:
He needs to practice everything. He's starting from scratch, has a contract that pays him to get better at a pace that makes sense rather than playing into the hype-schedule his handlers may encourage. There is a reason that Tadej "came from nowhere" and succeeded. He followed his best instincts and didn't pretend to be the next big thing. This guy had what it took but needs to tell his long lost relatives to watch him on TV and quit coaching him from their hallowed past. That includes his DS and other folks. If it doesn't work he can go play football.

Hm, I don't know. Some athletes need guidance, some are better off doing their own thing. I suspect Remco belongs to the former group, if anything he's too ambitious for his own good imo.

And I totally agree with skipping the Giro, I would even suggest skipping the first half the season completely might not be a mistake. He desperately wants the Olympics, but that race doesn't look likely to happen anyway, and everything else will still be there next year for him.

That injury is no joke. I think all of us who've followed sports for some years (not just cycling) can think of a number of examples immediately fo athletes who just never were the same again after a bad injury and a difficult recovery. How *** sad would it be for that to happen to Evenepoel? I'd rather wait a year to see him again if necessary.

Reactions: Oldermanish
It's just my personal opinion and prognosis about how things will develop during the year, with no insider info. I think things will get worse yet before they get better and this pandemic will not be finished by summer.

Okay, all the Danish athletes were told this week that it was now certain (as certain as anything can be these days) that they would go ahead. The head of the Danish Olympic committee or whatever his title is estimated the likelihood of them taking place as 9.3 on a scale from 1 to 10.

Before I read that I also hadn't thought they would go ahead but it would be pretty nasty to tell the athletes now that it was a near-certainty if that was not true.

Okay, all the Danish athletes were told this week that it was now certain (as certain as anything can be these days) that they would go ahead. The head of the Danish Olympic committee or whatever his title is estimated the likelihood of them taking place as 9.3 on a scale from 1 to 10.

Before I read that I also hadn't thought they would go ahead but it would be pretty nasty to tell the athletes now that it was a near-certainty if that was not true.
Lol...9.3, they are too optimistic in my opinion. It's more like 8.734 I think.