• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Alaphilippe should be the one to give his 3 best km, leading out a massive Evenepoel attack. Alap is simply not going to win the tour. Alap may not be the traditional mountain dom. However, he can do a brutal 3km, whittle the field down to 5 or 10 riders and let Evenepoel do the rest
I don't think there's any question that the team should support Remco in the Tour when that time comes. If I"m JA however, I'm not sure that's what I'm going to be doing. He's the World Champion and a proven winner. It's going to be a difficult situation to manage and there are legitimate arguments for going all in for RE as well as letting JA have the freedom to do his thing. It would be a loss to the sport to have that guy muzzled, and a crime not to fully support Remco. Tough calls ahead.

Today he joined his teammates for a little while on the recon of the Omloop. Apparently some of them went all out on the Muur and (naturally) he tried to follow them.

There's a short video in the article:

https://www.hln.be/wielrennen/pfjoe...op-de-muur-en-dat-heeft-hij-gevoeld~a5713cd9/

He clearly had to catch his breath for a while afterwards but it seems like his recovery is on track. Let's just hope he doesn't overdo it but I guess they won't make the same mistake twice.

EDIT: some more short videos on Sporza:

He did the Bosberg as well.

Last edited:
Imagine a Giro where Thomas, Lopez, Kruijswijk, Yates, Vlasov... all made the finishline in good health, and Almeida didn't make the top 10, would you be still be making the same point?

Yeah, true. Dropped bottle or sharp lefthander leading to the bridge and what else can hit anyone out. But Almeidas individual performances in opening tt and second tt, after many days of hard grinding, were just great and if there's any capasity left to grow, like usually at his age there still is, I'd say he's high horse too.

He would but for the Olympics
Not exactly true, they've been saying for 18 months they would rather have him ride a Vuelta or Giro before the TDF.

So he's interested in the Giro? That's early and super hilly/hard. Even if he's on Museeuw's healing program it's hard to imagine him finishing it considering he's just begun training.
I think it depends. I think a large part of the healing process had passed before going to spain during Autumn and while everything got delayed, he doesn't have to start from zero now. He had already built up a base condition prior to getting off the bike for nearly two months (again), and has been keeping busy swimming and doing other exercises. So assuming the crack has healed up suffuciently and won't pose a problem anymore, it's possible for him to "get ready". Whatever that means under these conditions. I don't expect him to win or really pose a threat for GC, but i could see him take a stagewin. But again, we don't really know how much further he is now, compared to where he was in october. Or where he is now, to where he ideally would have been coming out of wintertraining.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Of course, but the reply was to the question at what level he is now. And to put it mildly: not even pack fodder atm. The main question is how much he can improve in 11 weeks or so.
And it also means he's a lot further than he was when he first started riding again in october after 2 months in bed. He's been riding on the rollers for one or two hours a day the past two weeks. So all things considered, he's further than i thought he'd be, and definitely not starting from zero or he wouldn't have been able to follow them at all.

The Giro starts on 8th of may, it's 25th of february now. 2,5 months would be the middle of may.

If he's 100% by the 3rd week is he can still make up lost time and win by 10 minutes! ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan and Andre
Ok, but what races is he even planning to do before that? Surely he can't go into the Giro cold, that would be nonsense.

There's not enough time left imo. Compare to where he was in the early races last year.
Few days ago he said the Giro will be his first race. After the Giro he will not ride any race until the Olympics. He also said that he and the team noticed that he doesn't really need racing to get in top shape, but that altitude trainings also work for him. He gave Burgos as example.

Reactions: spalco
Ok, but what races is he even planning to do before that? Surely he can't go into the Giro cold, that would be nonsense.
Guess what? That's the plan!

There's not enough time left imo. Compare to where he was in the early races last year.
Main objective is to be "ready" for the giro and be in peak form by the olympics. Probably also vuelta later.

Remco Evenepoel: "I can put the fact that I couldn't follow on De Muur into perspective"

On February 8, Remco Evenepoel got the green light to get back on the bike after his serious injury. Just under 3 weeks later, the Deceuninck-Quick Step rider assesses the situation. "Everything is going well," says Evenepoel.

In the first week of his comeback, Remco Evenepoel was alone on the rollers, since last Friday he has finally been cycling outside again.

"I feel good at the moment", said Evenepoel this afternoon in an informal chat with the national press.

"I think I have to go to the hospital one more time for a check-up. It is now mainly important to analyze every week and to build up the hours and intensity step by step."

"I will do stability training with physiotherapist Lieven Maesschalck. Not to gain strength, but because I was inactive for a long time, I have to make my body firm again."

"Modern cyclists, and especially time trialists, need stability exercises to make the most of their strength in that specific position. It is also a nice alternative to training, in addition to cycling."

"I can place that I couldn't follow on De Muur"

Physically and mentally, Evenepoel has had to endure a real test. But whoever sees (and hears) him again these days can only say that he shines in his own skin.

"I knew that I would be able to start the season later than my competitors, but when I was not allowed on the bike, it was still a bit difficult. Then you are at home and that is difficult."

"But there are a lot of people in the team who helped me to keep myself upright. That worked out well."

Evenepoel still has to take significant steps physically. "In normal circumstances I ride up a short slope in the neighborhood, so to speak, while it is now gasping for air."

"But look: if you have been lying still for 4 months, that is normal. That is now the most difficult step to take: breeding that long distance again. Positive: I feel that it is getting better every day."

"That I got dropped yesterday at the Muur? I can place that. Those men are already close to their top form, for me it was only my fifth ride outside. I thought I was still holding up well."

"I put myself aside for a while on the steepest part, but it was really nice to be able to cycle with the guys from the team again."

"Prefer 3 months to grow slowly"

It is a countdown to the Tour of Italy, which starts on May 8. But as he mentioned earlier, Evenepoel does not set the bar too high there.

"I am going to the Giro without ambition, without expectations. There is nothing to be done, it is my preparation for the summer. I will be on an upward trend, also during those three weeks of the Giro itself."

"In preparation, I included an altitude training course in Tenerife next week. Whether that is not too early? No. I will not train like the others. Three to four hours a day, no more. It is especially necessary to get back into the rhythm. "

"After that a second altitude training course will follow in April, with the team. At altitude it is slightly easier to work on the basic condition."

"I could start racing in the Ardennes 2 weeks earlier, but that makes no sense. I'd rather take the time to grow for 3 months, then I could possibly have a bad day there."

"I have not yet studied the route of the Giro. I have got through the broad outlines, but there is no time to explore. The priority is now getting in order conditionally. Even though I already know the queen stage. They have climbs. I've already done training. "

"Good and sometimes too extreme measures"

Finally: what does Evenepoel think of the measures the UCI is taking to improve the safety of the riders?

"There will be many good measures, but also some less good ones. Sometimes even too extreme. I myself drove 50 kilometers in the Tour of Poland with my hands on my steering wheel. That is much more relaxed for hands and shoulders. also more aerodynamic. Riders know what can and cannot be done in that area. "

"On the other hand: it can be done faster than you want or think. Unfortunately there are many examples of this. So caution is required and it would not be bad to hang nets here and there, for example on a ravine."

Evenepoel also briefly returned to the research that UCI CEO Lappartient requested after the fall of Evenepoel in the Tour of Lombardy. There sports director Bramati allegedly got "something" out of Evenepoel's back pocket.

Evenepoel has sent an email to Lappartient about the incident. "I have done nothing wrong. It is a pity that there is so little confidence in the riders. At that moment you are lying in your bed half broken in recovery, you are blackened and you get hit on the head again, figuratively then. That's just a shame. "

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From the same press conference, Wielerflits writes that Evenepoel won't even be doing any recons for the Giro stages... I'm not sure this is the best idea for a first GT. Plenty of descending, not to mention the "Strade" stage. He already crashed in Adriatica Ionica on gravel roads, and from Sénéchal's comments back then, he really was out of his depth there. But of course, not like he just recovered from a hard crash or anything.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any question that the team should support Remco in the Tour when that time comes. If I"m JA however, I'm not sure that's what I'm going to be doing. He's the World Champion and a proven winner. It's going to be a difficult situation to manage and there are legitimate arguments for going all in for RE as well as letting JA have the freedom to do his thing. It would be a loss to the sport to have that guy muzzled, and a crime not to fully support Remco. Tough calls ahead.

However, JA is never going to win a tour, unless every finish is an uphill sprint. He should support the rider who can win. Then, if Evenepoel has a large enough lead, he can ride for his position toward the end, or ride for a stage win

Reactions: Sandisfan
Few days ago he said the Giro will be his first race. After the Giro he will not ride any race until the Olympics. He also said that he and the team noticed that he doesn't really need racing to get in top shape, but that altitude trainings also work for him. He gave Burgos as example.
Different circumstances as with Burgos none of the riders had ridden competition beforehand so they were all in the same situation.

Reactions: yaco and Sandisfan
Different circumstances as with Burgos none of the riders had ridden competition beforehand so they were all in the same situation.
Obviously different circumstances, but everyone worked towards the restart of the season and it was Evenepoel, among others like Van Aert and Roglic, who were excellent immediately. So I think it's fair to say that he isn't one of those riders who needs a lot of warm-up races to get in good shape. And besides that, he isn't saying he will be in top shape. No real GT ambitions... just yet.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMC7TXBnMbj/

156803651_181599347066995_7862495953681845180_n.jpg

This was an important week, after testing at the Bakala Academy and another scan & check up with the medical staff, nothing is holding me back anymore to start the preparation for my season to come! I want to thank the team doctors, the hospital in Herentals, all the staff of @deceuninck_quickstepteam and especially my family and close friends for the support in those difficult times! I cannot thank you enough...

Getting my feet back on those pedals, my face in the wind and full speed in the right direction.

Lot’s of goals to try and achieve
#happykid

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMC7TXBnMbj/

156803651_181599347066995_7862495953681845180_n.jpg

This was an important week, after testing at the Bakala Academy and another scan & check up with the medical staff, nothing is holding me back anymore to start the preparation for my season to come! I want to thank the team doctors, the hospital in Herentals, all the staff of @deceuninck_quickstepteam and especially my family and close friends for the support in those difficult times! I cannot thank you enough...

Getting my feet back on those pedals, my face in the wind and full speed in the right direction.

Lot’s of goals to try and achieve
#happykid
Along with the super tuck and firearms on bars, I’d like to suggest that UCI ban all injured or recovering-from-injury riders from giving the “thumbs up” sign. I got so tired of seeing all of Froome’s thumbs-up pics starting from his hospital bed and then on ad infinitum. It’s the visual equivalent of the old “I’m tranquillo” to investigators & reporters. Though sometimes I’m sure it really does mean”Hey, it’s going really well and had a great training session today,” but at it also acts as a type of coverup or sweeping under the rug of reality. Unfortunately, we can never know which it is.

I’m guessing some team PR people tell them to do it, but can’t they just go with a bright smile and get rid of the half-Fonz act?

And yes, this is a lame post—too lazy to delete.

ed. My autocorrect is really going to town on me today. So although the UCI may also be in favor of banning “firearms on bars” that was supposed to read “forearms.” ;)

Last edited:
Along with the super tuck and firearms on bars, I’d like to suggest that UCI ban all injured or recovering-from-injury riders from giving the “thumbs up” sign. I got so tired of seeing all of Froome’s thumbs-up pics starting from his hospital bed and then on ad infinitum. It’s the visual equivalent of the old “I’m tranquillo” to investigators & reporters. Though sometimes I’m sure it really does mean”Hey, it’s going really well and had a great training session today,” but at it also acts as a type of coverup or sweeping under the rug of reality. Unfortunately, we can never know which it is.

I’m guessing some team PR people tell them to do it, but can’t they just go with a bright smile and get rid of the half-Fonz act?

And yes, this is a lame post—too lazy to delete.
Eeeeyyy, nobody disses Arthur Fonzarelli.

But you might be on to something here. My 7 year old also can't have a picture taken without putting his thumbs up. Always knew there was something fishy about him.

TRENDING THREADS