• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Along with the super tuck and firearms on bars, I’d like to suggest that UCI ban all injured or recovering-from-injury riders from giving the “thumbs up” sign. I got so tired of seeing all of Froome’s thumbs-up pics starting from his hospital bed and then on ad infinitum. It’s the visual equivalent of the old “I’m tranquillo” to investigators & reporters. Though sometimes I’m sure it really does mean”Hey, it’s going really well and had a great training session today,” but at it also acts as a type of coverup or sweeping under the rug of reality. Unfortunately, we can never know which it is.

I’m guessing some team PR people tell them to do it, but can’t they just go with a bright smile and get rid of the half-Fonz act?

And yes, this is a lame post—too lazy to delete.

ed. My autocorrect is really going to town on me today. So although the UCI may also be in favor of banning “firearms on bars” that was supposed to read “forearms.” ;)
It's alla moda, a trend, chic...etc. etcetera

Along with the super tuck and firearms on bars, I’d like to suggest that UCI ban all injured or recovering-from-injury riders from giving the “thumbs up” sign. I got so tired of seeing all of Froome’s thumbs-up pics starting from his hospital bed and then on ad infinitum. It’s the visual equivalent of the old “I’m tranquillo” to investigators & reporters. Though sometimes I’m sure it really does mean”Hey, it’s going really well and had a great training session today,” but at it also acts as a type of coverup or sweeping under the rug of reality. Unfortunately, we can never know which it is.

I’m guessing some team PR people tell them to do it, but can’t they just go with a bright smile and get rid of the half-Fonz act?

And yes, this is a lame post—too lazy to delete.

ed. My autocorrect is really going to town on me today. So although the UCI may also be in favor of banning “firearms on bars” that was supposed to read “forearms.” ;)

I remember reading about riders, who threatened civilians with weapons during the first editions of the Tour de France, so I would have thought they were already banned :p

I fully agree about the thumbs up usage. Froome has really gone overboard with it.

He can't ride on gravel. He could never match that attack uphill. Only way he would ever have won today, was to practice all winter on gravel and attack 40k from the finish. If there is one race i could not see him win with his current skillset, it's Strade.

What evidence do we have that he "can't ride on gravel?" Has he ridden poorly on gravel before? True all in the break till VDP's attack with 24 klicks to go have experience in either cross or mountain biking. Remco, however, seems to have a skillset and motor for the type of climbs and fatigue of Strade Bianche, thus if he can ride on dirt (more than gravel) and was in the form he displayed before his accident, I don't see why he could not fight for victory. Unless of course there is evidence that he can't ride the strade bianche.

In any case, mine was complete conjecture and I was imagining not only the Remco pre-accident, but one even better with last year's Giro in his legs, a Worlds too, etc. His crash was such a pitty, if only to see where he would be today otherwise.

Reactions: Big Doopie
What evidence do we have that he "can't ride on gravel?" Has he ridden poorly on gravel before? True all in the break till VDP's attack with 24 klicks to go have experience in either cross or mountain biking. Remco, however, seems to have a set skills and motor for the type of climbs and fatigue of Strade Bianche, thus if he can ride on dirt (more than gravel) and was in the form he displayed before his accident, I don't see why he could not fight for victory. Unless of course there is evidence that he can't ride the strade bianche.
He lost a good deal of time at the Ioncia in 2019 on similar roads.

Let's not get all bent out of shape. I'm not saying he can ride gravel, but I think he is determined as hell and, let's say he really was bad at it, I bet just to proove us wrong he would do anything to contrast the weakness. And he's got Alaphillipe on his team to school him.

In that case, yes, he can win!

Seriously though, as a kid a crashed hard on gravel a few times, so it's possible i'm overestimating it, but it's clear from what happened and from what his teammates said, that he didn't have the best time during that stage. He can prove me wrong.

If he gets ready for the Giro we will see how he fares on the Montalcino stage.

In that case, yes, he can win!

Seriously though, as a kid a crashed hard on gravel a few times, so it's possible i'm overestimating it, but it's clear from what happened and from what his teammates said, that he didn't have the best time during that stage. He can prove me wrong.
Surely there are other races where he didn't have the best time of his life, but that he still should be able to win in the future. Lombardia perhaps.

Remco now stating that the Giro and the Olympics are his main goals this season. I certainly hope that means he thinks he’ll be on form, but it will still be his first race back. Should be...interesting.
Where did you read the Giro was a season goal? Last week he said the Giro would be more some sort of practice to get into shape towards the OG, that he went in with zero expectations and didn't expect to ride for GC.

Where did you read the Giro was a season goal? Last week he said the Giro would be more some sort of practice to get into shape towards the OG, that he went in with zero expectations and didn't expect to ride for GC.
Cyclingnews, so really the most accurate information possible. :D

...set to prepare for his 2021 season targets, which include the Giro d'Italia and the Olympic Games.

certainly you ask a good question, this is hardly definitive. I was getting maybe overly excited.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS