• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 164 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
This is idiotic. Was it 2 or 3 teams who had to leave the Giro last year because their riders caught Covid during the race? If you must delay, then get your 2nd shot (the one where people are experiencing symptoms and side effects) after the Giro is over, but at least get your first now and take the protection that offers.

And that's BEFORE we get into the whole major public figure opting not to take the vaccine, worried about side effects, tinfoil hat don't-tell-me-what-to-put-in-my-body conspiracy BS that will no doubt spring out of it.

To be fair, in the same article the team doctor explicitly states that he is a big advocate for vaccination and that they will try to get Remco a vaccine as soon as possible after the Giro. It is just the timing that is a problem since he would be vaccinated right before the start.

Remco apparently also has many antibodies at the moment so the risk for him should be minimal.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't know why he's on the list for vaccination already, anyway, but if he would get AZ there's indeed a high chance for a young person to have side effects like flu-like symptoms for some days - nothing serious / harmful, but enough to take him out of training for a few days again, and I can understand that that is not what you would want right now. (I've heard of quite many people with side-effects after the first shot.)
And I think if he says I'm not taking it now, but I will after the Giro, that doesn't do harm to the vaxx-image.

He's on the list because Belgium recently decided they'll prioritize vaccinating the Olympic Athletes.

This is idiotic. Was it 2 or 3 teams who had to leave the Giro last year because their riders caught Covid during the race? If you must delay, then get your 2nd shot (the one where people are experiencing symptoms and side effects) after the Giro is over, but at least get your first now and take the protection that offers.
I know a lot of younger people who have experienced side effects after the first dose (both Pfizer and Astrazeneca) though.

To be fair, in the same article the team doctor explicitly states that he is a big advocate for vaccination and that they will try to get Remco a vaccine as soon as possible after the Giro. It is just the timing that is a problem since he would be vaccinated right before the start.

Remco apparently also has many antibodies at the moment so the risk for him should be minimal.
Does it mean he has had covid already if he has many antibodies?

And that's BEFORE we get into the whole major public figure opting not to take the vaccine, worried about side effects, tinfoil hat don't-tell-me-what-to-put-in-my-body conspiracy BS that will no doubt spring out of it.

Actually, vaccines do not prevent catching covid, but they prevent from having severe symptoms after ones already getting infected.
So even if he would've been vaccinated he still could have a positive covid test and be forced to leave Giro.

Then what's the point form him to get vaccinated when the risk of side effects is bigger than getting any severe symptoms? Plus he already has high level of antibodies.

That may well be as truthful as UAE trying to tell the world Aru was team captain ahead of last years Tour de France.
I think it's a bit more accurate than the Aru/Pogacar case. Pog had already done a Vuelta and did very well, so a lot of the doubt surrounding Remco, whether or not he can (regardless of his injury/recovery) cope with 3 weeks, was no longer a factor for Pog. On the other hand, Aru had been crap since dinosaurs roamed the lands.

In Remco's case, there is the injury/recovery, on top of the great unknown, whether he 'll cope or fade in 3 weeks. On top of that, Almeida has been steadily progressing as an outsider for GC's, and is in no way in the situation that Aru was in.

I think they will play Almeida as their "fail safe". He will likely not be able to win the Giro (not against an on form Yates, to name one), but he's proven himself to be reliable. Remco will be the ace in the hole, their trump card. If Remco is back and pushing the same numbers from before his crash, he'll be the one to beat Yates, Ineos, ao, not Almeida. So they will support Remco as well, as long as it makes sense. As long as he has an actual shot.

I expect them to play both Evenepoel and Almeida as true co-leaders with both being fully protected and not expected to ride in sacrifice for the other until deep into the 3rd week of the race situation demands it.

Remco is the potential winner of the race but is equally as likely to drop out of the GC picture in the first week whereas Almeida probably isn’t going to climb well enough to match Simon Yates and Bernal on near peak form but has shown great consistency and can easily be imagined in a 4th-7th final GC spot which would still be impressive at his age.

I expect them to play both Evenepoel and Almeida as true co-leaders with both being fully protected and not expected to ride in sacrifice for the other until deep into the 3rd week of the race situation demands it.

Remco is the potential winner of the race but is equally as likely to drop out of the GC picture in the first week whereas Almeida probably isn’t going to climb well enough to match Simon Yates and Bernal on near peak form but has shown great consistency and can easily be imagined in a 4th-7th final GC spot which would still be impressive at his age.
Yes that's basically what i meant. Almeida is a certainty for a "decent-good" GC. Remco has the potential to win, or drop out of the top 50... so to speak.

Eddy: And who are you, young lad.
Remco: I am the next Eddy Merckx.
Eddy: Another one? This is getting old.
Remco: Confused.
Eddy: Come. Lets watch a race together.
Remco: Sure.
Eddy: Look at him go, he was a ski jumper, you know. How do you pronounce č. Like Merč?

P.S. Just giving Remco some motivation, for Giro.

Actually, vaccines do not prevent catching covid, but they prevent from having severe symptoms after ones already getting infected.
So even if he would've been vaccinated he still could have a positive covid test and be forced to leave Giro.

Then what's the point form him to get vaccinated when the risk of side effects is bigger than getting any severe symptoms? Plus he already has high level of antibodies.

The bolded is NOT true. US and Israel data clearly shows the vaccines prevent infection itself.

As for Remco's antibodies, if he has antibodies, he likely had the virus recently

I saw Remco Evenepoel at a grocery store in Aalst yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Twix in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.