• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 165 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I saw Remco Evenepoel at a grocery store in Aalst yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Twix in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
I have too many questions to start asking them.

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
I saw Remco Evenepoel at a grocery store in Aalst yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Twix in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
This really sounds like the dutch program 'foute vrienden' were some comics tell someone what to do in public domain, which results in hilarious situations, but very strange for the people who are involved but don't know about the comics. The same thing has been done with for example Mathieu Van der Poel and Wout Van Aert:

View: https://youtu.be/CbTWrRleqQA

In fact it seems like an exact situation that can happen in that program. Maybe you'll be on television ...

I saw that one a few weeks back about the band Black Midi. I'm sure it's doing the rounds.
Is Black Midi really becoming famous enough to randomly get mentioned on a cycling forum? Are they now even cool anymore?

About the copypasta, I mean, it kinda sounded like one, but since when do people with a long posting history on this forum suddenly start posting cheap copypastas? That's just so weird. Like, is that supposed to be funny?

Is Black Midi really becoming famous enough to randomly get mentioned on a cycling forum? Are they now even cool anymore?

About the copypasta, I mean, it kinda sounded like one, but since when do people with a long posting history on this forum suddenly start posting cheap copypastas? That's just so weird. Like, is that supposed to be funny?
1. Don't know them, so can't say

2. Can't say I've ever found copypastas funny.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
This really sounds like the dutch program 'foute vrienden' were some comics tell someone what to do in public domain, which results in hilarious situations, but very strange for the people who are involved but don't know about the comics. The same thing has been done with for example Mathieu Van der Poel and Wout Van Aert:
It's not Dutch, it's from Belgian (Flemish) TV but a channel you can't get abroad i believe (if i'm not mistaken, it was either VT4 (which changed names twice, since) or Kanaal 2 (which also changed its name a bazillion times). They speak Dutch though. It can be hilarious, but also quite cringy.

Yeah, it read like something he wrote when he was drunk originally, but maybe he was just drunk when he thought it'd be funny to post a copypasta. Who knows. As for the copypasta itself, Google informs me this particular story has been going around on internet since 2012.

I met Remco at a local restaurant today. He was eating a giant pizza and a big spaghetti portion. He looked fatter than ever. I asked him what he was doing in Poland and he replied he wanted to stay away from fans&media attention and to do a proper carb loading without hearing bullsh*t comments from grandpa Pat. Given his new "aerodynamic" look, few would recognise the last Tour de Pologne winner! I wished him good luck at the Giro and he replied he would need some luck given his ambitious goal (not to finish last!).

• Haha
Wuyts claims he heard signs that Evenepoel is looking mightily strong on training. Imo he is Often correct about things like this. Especially when it comes to Belgian riders.

And yeah it's just a copypasta. I never see them here so as a one-off thing it seemed okay. I tend to find them funny the 1st time I read them.

Last edited:
Wuyts claims he heard signs that Evenepoel is looking mightily strong on training. Imo he is Often correct about things like this. Especially when it comes to Belgian riders.

And yeah it's just a copypasta. I never see them here so as a one-off thing it seemed okay. I tend to find them funny the 1st time I read them.
This instance was of Remco yesterday riding on the parcours of LBL when he did Col de Rosier. It's nice but ultimately meaningles imho. If you only see one moment i bet any pro could make a good impression on a climb like that, not knowing what efforts he had already done up to that moment.

Yep, very sensible.
That could turn out to be a key stage. Bernal and Bardet for instance have proven they can be excellent sterrato riders. Gaps could be big if he gets distanced.
If he has properly got form to be the race winner then it could make it an even more exciting race if he loses 2 or 3 minutes on the sterrato and has to cut loose with savage long distance raids in the hilly stages.

yeah I know he is Evenepoel and such, but winning with no racing and at his age seems unlikely.

Pogacar was third in his first Vuelta, but that was a totally different story.

But I am curious to see how he will do in the mountain stages. His numbers might be impressive now on training, but you cannot simulate a 3-week course. He has never done this kind of race. The pressure is high and will his recovery be good enough during the race?

If Evenepoel wins the Giro, with this short preparation, I.... honestly don't know what I will do. I don't see it. No way.

Please don't kidnap him at least.

I don't know. I wouldn't call his preparation short. He's been cleared to start cycling in the beginning of february but even before that he was keeping himself fit by swimming and walking. I hope they were able to build at least a very solid base in those three months. The complete lack of race rythm however might be the biggest issue.

I'm just really curious to see how it goes.

yeah I know he is Evenepoel and such, but winning with no racing and at his age seems unlikely.

Pogacar was third in his first Vuelta, but that was a totally different story.

But I am curious to see how he will do in the mountain stages. His numbers might be impressive now on training, but you cannot simulate a 3-week course. He has never done this kind of race. The pressure is high and will his recovery be good enough during the race?
Not only is he Evenepoel, he is also Remco.

If he has properly got form to be the race winner then it could make it an even more exciting race if he loses 2 or 3 minutes on the sterrato and has to cut loose with savage long distance raids in the hilly stages.
While I'm not entirely sure how he will cope with the sterrato, I think if Remco is in Giro winning shape the only crucial thing to happen on that stage will be him gaining a big chunk of time and not him losing it. He is still a big unknown in a lot of stages but if there is anything we have learned about him so far it's that he is insanely good in medium mountain stages and that sterrato stage will likely be the most important medium mountain stage of the race.

TRENDING THREADS