• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Second video on the page has the press conference with João and Remco. Most is in English, some is in Dutch, some is in Portuguese:

So when Remco wins the Giro, youth, points, and 3 stages would that be considered a failure?

I think that everybody is subconciously waiting for good old-fashioned attacks with Remco, just like pre-war cycling heros, having enough time to drink and eat in roadside taverns and his only worry being oversleeping peleton passage. Anything less than that would be a failure.

Unlikely, unless he's transferred to EF Education very soon. These short time trials were never his thing. I'm betting on Cavagna. Ganna and Almeida could complete the podium. If Remco can finish ahead of people like Foss, Affini and Bettiol, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I expect him to at least fight for the win. I don't think it matters much if it's a short or a long time trial. Anything outside top 5 would be a disappointment for me.

I'd actually be disappointed if he wouldn't finish top 3 on saturday even if the time trial is a little too short for his liking. I can see Ganna and/or Cavagna beating him but if he's also beaten by several other riders I fear his form might not be where it should be for the Giro. Well that or he might be having trouble with his ITT position after the crash.

Ok, Remco mania is coming to speed in Belgium. New documentary, daily Remco Giro update and now a news item about his butcher (Remco likes spaghetti, chicken and steak :tearsofjoy:)

Quickstep was not even trying to hide who their true leader is at the official Giro presentation. Remco with the bike as “captain”
Straight in with the important question - Does his butcher supply the spaghetti as well and what cut of steak does he go for.

Ok, Remco mania is coming to speed in Belgium. New documentary, daily Remco Giro update and now a news item about his butcher (Remco likes spaghetti, chicken and steak :tearsofjoy:)

Quickstep was not even trying to hide who their true leader is at the official Giro presentation. Remco with the bike as “captain”
RTBF, VTM, HLN are going all out. It's a bit offputting.
But i'm not sure Remco with the bike on the podium and teamnumber #1 is an idea of the team. I've got the distinct impression that this is in fact on demand of the Giro organization. They basically went berserk last year that Remco would ride the Giro first and made him their posterboy of 2020. Then the crash happened, but again he chose the Giro, and every cycling fan, pro or contra Remco, is wondering how he'll do, regardless of how he'll do. But this is just pure speculation.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That depends on what you call a "pure bikeracer". Personally, i find ITT's the most pure form of bikeracing. No teammates to hide behind, man against man. And as far as ITT's go, we both know Remco will kick Mathieu's ass all week and twice on sunday. So... you want to make that distinction, or argue about subjective fanboyish impressions, knock yourself out. Remco doesn't have the handle, that's true. He doesn't have the explosiveness. Also true. Charisma? I actually think Remco has tons more charisma than Mathieu, but again, that's a personal thing. You seem to value bikehandling skill over climbing ability, and explosiveness over ITT ability. Your prerogative, and Remco couldn't care less, because he aims to be a stageracer that can also battle it out in the Ardennes classics.

But the point was, Remco being better at solo efforts than Mathieu. It wasn't that Mathieu has nicer hair, cleaner teeth or a prettier girlfriend (which he hasn't). So no need to drag arguments into the discussion that are completely besides the point.
Logic, not sure how TT's are man against man given you ride them solo. It's just incredibly boring to watch a guy in a skinsuit ride a bike in weird position, down a smooth road at 30mph by himself. MVDP's charisma has nothing to do with teeth, girlfriends, etc. It's about the fact that tomorrow morning he'll be kicking ass on the MTB short track race and then going balls out for 90 mins in the XC race on Sunday. Think of it this way - he could end this year as World Champion in CX, Olympic Gold Medalist in MTB, and World Champion on the Road. You've got to be more than just a skinny tire guy now to be legendary.

• Haha
Reactions: Panda Claws
Logic, not sure how TT's are man against man given you ride them solo. It's just incredibly boring to watch a guy in a skinsuit ride a bike in weird position, down a smooth road at 30mph by himself. MVDP's charisma has nothing to do with teeth, girlfriends, etc. It's about the fact that tomorrow morning he'll be kicking ass on the MTB short track race and then going balls out for 90 mins in the XC race on Sunday. Think of it this way - he could end this year as World Champion in CX, Olympic Gold Medalist in MTB, and World Champion on the Road. You've got to be more than just a skinny tire guy now to be legendary.
Whatever you say Senna.

Reactions: Panda Claws

TRENDING THREADS