• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 172 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
As a huge Remco fanboy, a fairly large MVDP fanboy, a former roadie and current mountain biker whose strength in the road was a flat TT....well. It's certainly the purest test of who is the strongest. It's about the least test of "pure bike racer" in my view, but that's all semantics and subjective opinion.

For me bike racing is tactics, power, endurance, and bike handling of a high order. TT is just get in that tuck and suffer. It might be the hardest discipline, but it feels the least like racing...to me.

I mean, no doubt MVDP is "cooler" than Evenepoel, it's not even close, Van Aert, Sagan, Alaphillipe, Nibali, Valverde and many others too. But I don't think there's any shame in that.
I don't know about "cool," but with Poulidor's and Adrie's blood in his veins, and a fantastic attacking style, MvdP is always going to be cycling royalty. But Remco is just an exploit away from being on that list above. His San Sébastien win was electrifying, at least to me.

I don't know about "cool," but with Poulidor's and Adrie's blood in his veins, and a fantastic attacking style, MvdP is always going to be cycling royalty. But Remco is just an exploit away from being on that list above. His San Sébastien win was electrifying, at least to me.
Sure, maybe getting some really big wins would make him cooler too. Although I would argue even Contador for example was never "cool".

Reactions: Sandisfan
According to HLN, he said he worked like a maniac to get ready for the Giro, so much so that he had to throw up on occasion.

Did you see the small docu behind the paywall? It's about his week in the Ardennes (Stoumont) last week.

He spent the week by himself so had to take care of his own breakfast/dinner. During the day at training he was guided by his trainer Koen Pelgrim.

They tried to simulate the intensity of a stage race and focussed on shorter but very intensive training rides sometimes so heavy that he had to throw up once.

He says they are pleasantly surprised about the progression he made in a short period of time. He has worked like a maniac and everybody including himself can be proud of the work they delivered.

He also says that (at the time of filming) he's between 60,5 and 61 kg which is perfect. He says he's a winners type so he always wants to win.

It seems like he was training a lot on his TT bike (or maybe that was just the day they filmed the docu).

Overall he seems very confident but remains a little cautious because he doesn't know what to expect in a race situation since he hasn't raced for 10 months.

Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
My 10 wishes for Remco in order of importance:

1. That he doesn't get injured again for a long time during the Giro by a fall or his old injury comes back to haunt him.
  2. That he has fun on the bike.
  3. That he gets better week after week
  4. That he rides a decent time trial again
  5. That he can follow in the climbs
  6. That he can follow above 2000 meters
  7. That he wins a stage/stages
  8. That he doesn't have a total off-day
  9. That he wins the Giro
  10. That he wins the Giro by 10 minutes :p

My 10 wishes for Remco in order of importance:

1. That he doesn't get injured again for a long time during the Giro by a fall or his old injury comes back to haunt him
  2. That he has fun on the bike.
  3. That he gets better week after week
  4. That he rides a decent time trial again
  5. That he can follow in the climbs
  6. That he can follow above 2000 meters
  7. That he wins a stage/stages
  8. That he doesn't have a total off-day
  9. That he wins the Giro
  10. That he wins the Giro by 10 minutes :p
Good call! Here's my top 10 wishes in order of importance:
  1. That he wins the Giro by 10 minutes
  2. That he wins the Giro
  3. That he doesn't have a total off-day
  4. That he wins a stage/stages
  5. That he can follow above 2000 meters
  6. That he can follow in the climbs
  7. That he rides a decent time trial again
  8. That he gets better week after week
  9. That he has fun on the bike
  10. That he doesn't get injured again for a long time during the Giro by a fall or his old injury comes back to haunt him
:p

Here's my wish list based on the shocking information we got yesterday:

1. That he doesn't win the Giro due to his willingness to poop at the side of the road.
  2. That he does win the Giro due to his willingness to poop at the side of the road.
  3. That if he wins, it will still happen after an exciting race, and not just three weeks of him crushing all opposition day in and day out.

Here's my wish list based on the shocking information we got yesterday:

1. That he doesn't win the Giro due to his willingness to poop at the side of the road.
  2. That he does win the Giro due to his willingness to poop at the side of the road.
  3. That if he wins, it will still happen after an exciting race, and not just three weeks of him crushing all opposition day in and day out.
What shocking info did we get yesterday?

This is so funny.

Comparing the two, saying one of them is the better cyclist is *** but you could easily see which one of them has more charisma and it's def not Remco, lol.

On the contrary I think that we will soon be able to compare them as cyclists, even if they are different, but how can we compare their charisma? Usually charisma is about whether you are drawn in by a person when they enter the room, when you are having a conversation with them, the way they walk, talk, where their attention is, their glances, their hands, how are their gestures, their voice, do they know how to tell stories, listen, be funny, empathic, present, enthusiastic...
How can we properly decide about that if we have never met these people in real life? I think we can get a first glance into their personality, but the effect in front of a camera and really in a room with them without a camera might be very different.

Reactions: Lui98
Apr 11, 2021
Visit site
Ready for the Giro

giphy.gif

TRENDING THREADS