• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 174 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Just like me they might not have actually watched that part of the race live lol. But that would make it the comments even worse.

It's riduculous regardless. I mean feuds like armstrong- contador, schleck-contador, froome-wiggins, cavendish-greipel, cancellara-boonen, etc, at least they had all won something already. Almeida has won *** all so far, absolutely nothing as pro. Did anybody (who's not watching their first cycling race this year) seriously think evenepoel would work for him? lol

I understand the aspect of Remco going back on his word about helping Almeida. But 1) it is a misunderstanding that Evenepoel said he was going to the Giro as helper and 2) it's a stretch and overreaction to turn Remco sprinting for the bonis into him not helping Almeida.

Remco is here to try and win the Giro, simple as that.
Is it possible he fails, off course, but when a rider with the potential of Evenepoel starts a grand tour it is to try and win it and not to help Almeida.
It's not about putting pressure on this young man, but the stuff he showed last year combined with his current weight, he is going all in to see if he can win a grand tour, all the smokescreens before the start were pretty obvious in my opinion.

I understand the aspect of Remco going back on his word about helping Almeida. But 1) it is a misunderstanding that Evenepoel said he was going to the Giro as helper and 2) it's a stretch and overreaction to turn Remco sprinting for the bonis into him not helping Almeida.
Like i said the moment this article was published, nearly two months after the interview took place!
The interview was from march, when he had only been on the bike for a month, two whole months before the start of the Giro.

Reactions: Panda Claws
My two cents: None of the stages in the first week is so hard that Knox and Masnada aren't enough as helpers for both Almeida and Evenepoel. But 4 and 6 are hard enough to find out about their condition and who's the stronger one in this race. So they can evaluate the situation after the first week, look at the numbers, decide, and then I'm pretty sure one of them will have to work for the other. There is absolutely no need to decide this right here and now.

Wasn't Almeida the rider on Evenepoel's wheel when the sprint started?

Not according to the graphic that popped up at the time , no. It was another team mate.

I'm a bit surprised he used up energy for a poxy two seconds bonus (remember what happened to Simon Yates in 2018 after all his energetic attacks?).

Probably small beer in comparison to Yates and maybe the team have a plan to rally around whichever rider is better placed on GC at a certain point and Remco is determined to ensure it is him!

Reactions: ppanther92
Not according to the graphic that popped up at the time , no. It was another team mate.

I'm a bit surprised he used up energy for a poxy two seconds bonus (remember what happened to Simon Yates in 2018 after all his energetic attacks?).

Probably small beer in comparison to Yates and maybe the team have a plan to rally around whichever rider is better placed on GC at a certain point and Remco is determined to ensure it is him!
What energy? Following Keisse to the front of the peloton and then semisprinting for 50m in a stage where everyone freewheeled for 99% of the day? Bernal probably used up more energy fighting to be in the front of the peloton till just before the finish.

Reactions: hayneplane
He's actually getting loads of angry comments about that by Portugese fans on his Instagram lol. But that's cycling. Roglic also got heaps of angry Belgians after the WC.
I love it when they then say things like 'Not going to buy anything from Lidl anymore' lol.

Welcome to the idiots of our mainstream fans and I'm sorry that's our offer to the cycling world.

I don't give a s**t about who is the better DQS at the final GC of this Giro, it would be very nice if it was Almeida since he is my compatriot but it would also be awesome if Remco achieved a GC podium after all his history, but I would laugh my ass off at the chaos created by Evenepoel leaving Almeida behind at some stage of the race.

Today’s stage was a stroll, and he was probably as much bored as anything. Don’t think anyone should worry about the energy used in that effort. He’s now ahead of Almeida and if some of the TT guys get dropped in the next few days, he’d be ahead of his teammate assuming same time, and in pink.

Now being in pink would cost some meaningful energy….

This is a guy who is paying attention and who wants to win. I love it.

Hmmm now that could be an effort worth mentioning.
Welcome to the idiots of our mainstream fans and I'm sorry that's our offer to the cycling world.

I don't give a s**t about who is the better DQS at the final GC of this Giro, it would be very nice if it was Almeida since he is my compatriot but it would also be awesome if Remco achieved a GC podium after all his history, but I would laugh my ass off at the chaos created by Evenepoel leaving Almeida behind at some stage of the race.

Yeah I definitely do hope that even if Remco ends up being very, very good they are not just going to completely sacrifice Almeida's GC either.

Reactions: Salvarani

sure...but remember what happened to G Thomas in 2018 when he did exactly that...? He pushed further in front of Froome (who also had been delayed by a crash), so that when the mountains came, G simply had to hold his own to take yellow. also G practically fell on the bonus seconds as he was riding at the front and no one challenged him so he just kicked the pedals a bit and got 4 seconds. same with remco, it hardly looked like he sprinted, not exactly wasting energy... and if that is enough to have him lose the giro, he was not ready to win the giro.

I think he did well to put himself in a position where he will assume the pink jersey tomorrow almost automatically (well, we’ll see about Foss). He will get a confidence boost (even he probably needs it after the crash) and of course it’s more likely now Almeida working for him if the situation arises… that’s why the Portuguese were pissed probably.

Reactions: ppanther92
Most certainly. Armstrong also let the team ride when Contador was behind on the cobbles stage and as soon as Contador had the chance, he attacked his teammate who was at the same time as Cancellara in Yellow. And if he would have taken that, the hierarchy within the time might have been settled (at least for the moment). If there are two leaders, you should make sure you are the higher placed.

Used energy ? Those 50 m, coming out of the wheel of a teammate, not even sprinting . And after resting for months...

Times have changed. There won’t be any Merckxs now. The level, intensity, talent and teams make it impossible for anyone to dominate for extended periods and over different types of terrains.

Evenepoel specifically has yet a lot to prove before reaching the absolute top of today’s cycling elite. I’d rather favour the likes of JA, WvA, MVDP, Ganna, Merlier, Pidcock, Bernal, Pogacar, Asgreen etc … and the list goes on which shows to prove the abundance of talent.