• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 196 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I had no doubt today was gonna be a big challenge for him. His bike handling is still as bad as I remembered it. You could see how scared he was as soon as the sterrato started. He probably didn't have his best legs today, but having to close gaps after gaps after every corner or downhill sector will eventually make you pay the price. That's how these roads work.

He was also mentally unprepared to face such a difficult situation. He was close to give up at one point, but in the end he kept fighting, which was very good to see thinking about his future as a GT rider.

Only two minutes lost, still 7th in GC. I don't know why the team should pull him unless he's sick or completely spent. This is what GTs are about. Having bad days, learning how to deal with them. And recovering.

Yeah it's sometimes annoying that people have constantly typed 'wait until he rides a WT race' 'wait until it's not Tour de Pologne' and yet never have to publicly eat crow for it. But that's the internet for you.
If there was any justice in having to eat crow for making stupid remarks without consequences, I would be serving it up to all the “It’s just like the flu” loudmouths from a year ago, including a couple at my worplace!

Maybe some of the mega hype makers on here should eat some crow

The kid is talented and exciting but the hype is overly annoying . Lets face it he is no Bernal or Pogacar yet
He maybe but he may not be...nobody knows yet but that didnt' stop the over the top rubbish on here
The pressure on the kid has been immense and mostly ridiculous
I like Remo not so hot on his fans though

I honestly cannot tell what exactly the issue was today. His legs were clearly lacking but was it psychological because he couldn't follow on the descents, was it because he can't handle restdays or is it just his shape that is getting worse. I suppose we'll get our answer on the Zoncolan at latest and maybe tomorrow already

I had no doubt today was gonna be a big challenge for him. His bike handling is still as bad as I remembered it. You could see how scared he was as soon as the sterrato started. He probably didn't have his best legs today, but having to close gaps after gaps after every corner or downhill sector will eventually make you pay the price. That's how these roads work.

He was also mentally unprepared to face such a difficult situation. He was close to give up at one point, but in the end he kept fighting, which was very good to see thinking about his future as a GT rider.

Only two minutes lost, still 7th in GC. I don't know why the team should pull him unless he's sick or completely spent. This is what GTs are about. Having bad days, learning how to deal with them. And recovering.

It's really strange to see someone be so bad at sterrato when they are such a good rouler.

I knew things were bad when he didn't push to the front around the first bend.

DQS literally blew up trying to get him back to the main group after the first downhill section.

He has to ride cyclocross this offseason for the simple reason that he needs to get more explosion and needs to deal with downhills.

The funny thing is that he's not completely out of it unless he's incapable of attacking.

While it looks like Bernal has it in the bag, Remco is capable of closing down the gap if he throws caution to the wind. Who cares if he finishes 2 1/2 minutes down or 20.

I honestly cannot tell what exactly the issue was today. His legs were clearly lacking but was it psychological because he couldn't follow on the descents, was it because he can't handle restdays or is it just his shape that is getting worse. I suppose we'll get our answer on the Zoncolan at latest and maybe tomorrow already
The issue is that this is the Giro d'Italia, not Baliose Belgium tour or Vuelta Burgos, its not nice February Beach race like Algarve. You need to be able to steer your bike, to fight for position, to ride gravel and hard climbs on repetitive days, to have a team that puts you in the best position at all times, to descend well etc. Not just attack the nice smooth easy belgian roads while the others warm up for bigger objectives.

The logical answer is him being bad technically, and when youre this bad technically on gravel, youre naturally gonna use lots of power trying to repair constantly losing pace on the gravel, going late it on the sectors and in generel just closing lots of gaps instead of riding a more constant pace. After a few hours of that, youre using way more power than the opponents are youre gonna boom

Reactions: ppanther92
They showed some Velon data after the first gravel section that was useful for the first time ever.

It showed Evenepol literally putting out more watts than Bernal despite losing contact in the group. He was clearly wasting more energy. On top of that I think he was fine on the flat gravel sections, though I don't think it's as good for him cause it requires a bit more raw power than aerodynamics, and I think he had his worst moments on steep uphills.

For the larger picture, I don't think this stage means *** for recovery, though I think his trajectory was trending slightly upwards before the rest day.

Reactions: roundabout
I think it was more like 1'20 and it grew to way over 2' on top of the climb, and I think he limited his losses on the flats well enough.
No, before the final climb the gap was almost 1m40.

Coming back every time cost him a lot of energy. He was dangling at the back, closing gaps, because he lacked the skills. Doing that for 60km sapped the life out of him. Considering he caught Bardet & Martinez, finished minutes ahead of Formolo, nearly caught Ciccone and Soler, it could have been a lot worse.

Maybe it's a bit of a mix. Technically he is quite bad. It's the first stage where he needs to use a lot of power multiple times for a longer time, which is completely different to the shorter one-time power explosions we have seen so far. It might just be that due to his short preparation he also lacks a little bit of hardness to do these big efforts multiple times during a race.

Reactions: ppanther92
Maybe some of the mega hype makers on here should eat some crow

The kid is talented and exciting but the hype is overly annoying . Lets face it he is no Bernal or Pogacar yet
He maybe but he may not be...nobody knows yet but that didnt' stop the over the top rubbish on here
The pressure on the kid has been immense and mostly ridiculous
I like Remo not so hot on his fans though
Why would any of us eat crow lmao.

I don't think you can find any posts about how Remco is going to do well on the Sterrato. The sentiment here is mostly that it is believed that Evenepoel can grow into a first class GC rider capable of winning GT's but that we all still have to wait to see how his recovery is and how he handles big mountain stages. It's even been pointed out multiple times that due to the circumstances, due to this being his first GT, that we might have to wait until at least the second GT to draw massive conclusions.

It's very hard to have to eat crow when expectations are constantly kept in check like this. Sure perhaps you can find some mega fans on here that made crazy predictions but I don't recall reading much of those.

I see no reason to suddenly doubt my assessment of Remco's potential because of what happened today. Ask me again after this Giro and especially ask me again after he rides a GT with proper preparation. I am not shifting the goalposts here just reminding you where they actually stand.

TRENDING THREADS