• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 209 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Both he and the team did nothing to calm the hype, so of course the media and fans should be disappointed and all over him and the team now.
Before the Giro he had the same betting quotes then Bernal. The team is also expecting him to get in the top10 otherwise they wouldn't order Almeida back at such a steep climb. That is really insane after such an injury and in his first Grand Tours. But objectively he isn't fulfilling the expectations at the moment.
The team, Evenepoel himself and the fans are putting so much pressure on him. That is really crazy.

It looks like he is unbelievable strong at hilly terrain and at riding at the flat. He probably won't be unbeatable in the future at steeper hills.

Both he and the team did nothing to calm the hype, so of course the media and fans should be disappointed and all over him and the team now.
That's not entirely true. It was basically the "insiders" within the media, that hyped up his chances. Team and him have always said "let's see day by day, see how far he can get" and even that he would work for Almeida if he was out of contention. Some journalist heard from "a guy who knows" that Evenepoel was "flying on training" etc. Those kinds of stories didn't help.

Reactions: groogster
well he is still top10. So he is flying, just not as fast as the others or as himself in topform. but it is what it is. Hope he completes the Giro and maybe if it starts to get worse, drop his top10 ambitions and just go for race rythm/training like Ulrich did. (a year that i forgot :D)

That's not entirely true. It was basically the "insiders" within the media, that hyped up his chances. Team and him have always said "let's see day by day, see how far he can get" and even that he would work for Almeida if he was out of contention. Some journalist heard from "a guy who knows" that Evenepoel was "flying on training" etc. Those kinds of stories didn't help.
Didn't even his team mates or someone one he trained with also stated that? i might misremember but that kind of thing leads credence to his good form.

Didn't even his team mates or someone one he trained with also stated that? i might misremember but that kind of thing leads credence to his good form.
Yes, Masnada said something like that to GdS.
Vlasov is very overhyped for some reason. He has some nice results but the guy who missed the top 10 in the Vuelta was going to compete with Bernal???
I thought Vlasov got sick not long before the Vuelta?

Reactions: SafeBet and Skalman
I'm a fan of Remco, but it looks like descents are going to be an exploitable weakness going forward. But I'll reserve judgment until he's got a full injury free season behind him. He's riding in uncharted waters right now and frankly doing pretty well for a guy whose last experience on the bike was a horror crash.

What we saw today was a bit ridiculous... Almeida almost had to stop twice to wait for Renco....
Evenepoel is not still ready to go for Grand Tours' GCs and giving him the leadership (this was clear from stage 2 where we saw the whole team working for him to get the 2seconds bonus) was clearly a mistake...
Deceuninck will end up without a single rider on the GC Top 10...

Considering the circumstances his effort today was not that bad at all. Astana did a great job for Ineos by leading the peloton during the most part of the stage so Ineos could save their energy to keep a good pace during the final climb and protect Bernal. As others mentioned as well, going to the final 3km with Bernal means losing time. A strong Yates was a perfect target for Bernal to extend the time gap further. I had hoped Remco could stay with Buchmann, Vlasov, Carthy etc but in the end he lost 20-40 seconds to those guys so it is till not that bad. If he is in good shape, he will be able to cling on but those very steep arrivals will probably never be his thing unless he somehow becomes more explosive.

Google translated:
"I felt when cutting the steep parts that my legs were deflating," said Remco Evenepoel, who got off the bus in his socks after his shower.
"Maybe my body is still not what we had hoped for in terms of performance."
"I'm losing time, but I'm still in the top 10. I try to fight for that every day, but the boys shouldn't really be concerned with me anymore."
"Someone like Joao (Almeida) is allowed to join a flight for a ride. I felt today that it is getting heavier and tougher and that the long break is taking hold."

What we saw today was a bit ridiculous... Almeida almost had to stop twice to wait for Renco....
Evenepoel is not still ready to go for Grand Tours' GCs and giving him the leadership (this was clear from stage 2 where we saw the whole team working for him to get the 2seconds bonus) was clearly a mistake...
Deceuninck will end up without a single rider on the GC Top 10...
He wasn't given leadership, Almeida LOST leadership, by losing 5 minutes on the first GC test. And we didn't see the whole team working for 2 boni seconds, only blind people with an overactive imagination possibly saw that.

The hype, or buildup, led me to believe that Remco would be approximately 1 minute down in second place by the end of this stage. The hype was wrong by 3 minutes and 6 riders.
Many people hoped that, but if the hype "led you to believe that" then i'm afraid you have nobody to blame but yourself. Him doing badly was always a possibility. And he's not even doing that bad to begin with.

Google translated:
"I felt when cutting the steep parts that my legs were deflating," said Remco Evenepoel, who got off the bus in his socks after his shower.
"Maybe my body is still not what we had hoped for in terms of performance."
"I'm losing time, but I'm still in the top 10. I try to fight for that every day, but the boys shouldn't really be concerned with me anymore."
"Someone like Joao (Almeida) is allowed to join a flight for a ride. I felt today that it is getting heavier and tougher and that the long break is taking hold."

This one stood out to me:

"And now? Perhaps Remco Evenepoel should drop the classification and aim for a stage win, for example in the final time trial?

Evenepoel: "That is certainly possible, but Monday (queen stage with 3 giants) should suit me better. Those are tempocols, less steep." "

Hmmm, so Evenepoel thinks Fedaia and Giau are tempo climbs?

Evenepoel basically confirmed what I wrote above: he'll try and hold on to his top-10 (of course doing something when he feels strong), but Almeida will be free to do as he pleases from now on. That's fair and smart, according to me. Losing time now on purpose and going in a break, I don't see how he'll get stronger from that. Fighting for it everyday for 3 weeks is what GC guys need to do.

Reactions: JosefK and peterfin
This one stood out to me:

"And now? Perhaps Remco Evenepoel should drop the classification and aim for a stage win, for example in the final time trial?

Evenepoel: "That is certainly possible, but Monday (queen stage with 3 giants) should suit me better. Those are tempocols, less steep." "

Hmmm, so Evenepoel thinks Fedaia and Giau are tempo climbs?

Compared to the Zoncolan, everything is a tempo climb ;-)

TRENDING THREADS