• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 230 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
This evening, Flemish commercial broadcast VTM aired a follow-up documentary about Remco and his Giro, with throwbacks to Lombardia and the revalidation period.

I wanna point out two things about his injury. Nothing new, but just to add some context again to this sometimes exploding thread:
  1. The fracture in his pelvis missed a nerve with 1 millimeter. He was that close to being paralysed for the rest of his life.
  2. He had a ruptured vein in his groin. If they hadn't seen this on the first scan, he would've internally bled to death.
Every true sports fan should hope he gets back to his full potential. Nevertheless: he was able to make a comeback. That's a huge success and victory on its own. The look on his parents face says enough.

In an interview after the race, he admitted that limitations during the Giro were in hindsight to be expected. Exactly two months ago (meaning: just over more than a month before La Partenza), he rode for 4 hours for the very first time! Given the level he displayed the first ten days, that's incredible. I think we will see another Remco next season, heck, maybe even at the end of this one. I remain a believer.

He also said he thinks his descending was getting better and better, and he only felt really uncomfortable on the sterrati. His crash before abandoning was due to circumstances, not bad handling as such. However, he aknowledged it's one of his weaknesses, together with accelerations, and he is prepared to work on them because he knows at top level it's all important.

Go Remco!

Last edited:
I should have mentioned something I read a couple of weeks ago on the Velo news site now renamed, Kinda, where there was an article that talked some tech. stuff for Pro-cycling where near the beginning of the of it was mentioned that the guy interviewed/written about said he was not surprised by Remco's crash. His assertion was something about the geometry of Remco's bike. If Logic is back maybe he can dig through the site and lets us know if there is some merit to the comment.
:);)

I should have mentioned something I read a couple of weeks ago on the Velo news site now renamed, Kinda, where there was an article that talked some tech. stuff for Pro-cycling where near the beginning of the of it was mentioned that the guy interviewed/written about said he was not surprised by Remco's crash. His assertion was something about the geometry of Remco's bike. If Logic is back maybe he can dig through the site and lets us know if there is some merit to the comment.
Seems a bit out of context like this. Remco is small and has a small bikeframe, but other than that i wouldn't know how the bike's geometry would have caused that crash. Maybe you can find the article? Is this the site? https://www.velonews.com/page/2/?s=evenepoel

Since the Belgium Tour already starts the 9th and he looked pretty bruised up we'll probably not see him there. Any clue what else he might ride between now and the Olympics since Lefevere did mention that they were going to look into that. That wasn't the plan originally but since Remco had to abandon the Giro and it looked like some more racing days wouldn't be bad they were thinking about it.

I feel like the Tour of Austria is the only real option left to be honest. Don't think he needs some Adriatica Ionica in his life right now.

Since the Belgium Tour already starts the 9th and he looked pretty bruised up we'll probably not see him there. Any clue what else he might ride between now and the Olympics since Lefevere did mention that they were going to look into that. That wasn't the plan originally but since Remco had to abandon the Giro and it looked like some more racing days wouldn't be bad they were thinking about it.

I feel like the Tour of Austria is the only real option left to be honest. Don't think he needs some Adriatica Ionica in his life right now.
Not sure if the 9th is too early. He mainly got some bruises and cuts. That doesn't take forever to heal.

Reactions: Panda Claws
I truly hope that DQ doesn’t rush things one more time! We all know that the sponsors may require that but it will be a shame if they put Remcos recovery condition at jeopardy
I don't think this is about sponsors though. The crash at the Giro was not that bad and it looked like he could use some more racing rhythm. The Belgium Tour sounds like a fairly easy environment to do so in.

Reactions: red_flanders

Tour of Austria was rescheduled to start of September

Since the Belgium Tour already starts the 9th and he looked pretty bruised up we'll probably not see him there.
I dunno, he was supposed to resume his training only a couple days after his DNS:

translated: https://translate.google.com/transl...://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20210527_95729657

I don't know how true it is but I heard he won't race the Tour of Belgium..and neither will Van Aert, for appendicitis
Van Aert never was going to do it, but he isn't in the Dauphiné because of appendicitis. The thing you might have heard, was that neither of them was going to do the national TT. However it got added to Van Aert's schedule after the Dauphiné got removed. I'm hoping Evenepoel will add it to his schedule as well now that his plans have changed.

Van Aert never was going to do it, but he isn't in the Dauphiné because of appendicitis. The thing you might have heard, was that neither of them was going to do the national TT. However it got added to Van Aert's schedule after the Dauphiné got removed. I'm hoping Evenepoel will add it to his schedule as well now that his plans have changed.
Van Aert still wasn't 100% certain iirc. If both stay at home, i think i know who the next national champ is going to be.

Sorry about mentioning that article l tried and tried to find it as it was mentioned as a side bar to the main part of the article. I think that you would agree different bicycle geometries might well affect handing, but until I find that article I will stop on this now.

But I did find in the FAQ search function at Velo an article tFinish line cameras which fully supports your argument about the Piddcok, Van Aert finish In Amstel and how they function.

Not trying to start anything on the bike geometry question but I didn't read the whole thing just skimmed as I had things to do and didn't bookmark the page. I just thought that the guy who was interviewed might have had something in which you might be interested. And if he was spewing B.S. in your opinion then I would like to hear you viewpoint. I was Happy to see you back as even though there are some things for which we disagree there are many for which we agree, and I can be sarcastic, even with some of the likes (reaction smiley) I give out. Keep being you you can be informative as well as annoying :) but I like reading what you write.

Seems a bit out of context like this. Remco is small and has a small bikeframe, but other than that i wouldn't know how the bike's geometry would have caused that crash. Maybe you can find the article? Is this the site? https://www.velonews.com/page/2/?s=evenepoel

This evening, Flemish commercial broadcast VTM aired a follow-up documentary about Remco and his Giro, with throwbacks to Lombardia and the revalidation period.

I wanna point out two things about his injury. Nothing new, but just to add some context again to this sometimes exploding thread:
  1. The fracture in his pelvis missed a nerve with 1 millimeter. He was that close to being paralysed for the rest of his life.
  2. He had a ruptured vein in his groin. If they hadn't seen this on the first scan, he would've internally bled to death.
Every true sports fan should hope he gets back to his full potential. Nevertheless: he was able to make a comeback. That's a huge success and victory on its own. The look on his parents face says enough.

In an interview after the race, he admitted that limitations during the Giro were in hindsight to be expected. Exactly two months ago (meaning: just over more than a month before La Partenza), he rode for 4 hours for the very first time! Given the level he displayed the first ten days, that's incredible. I think we will see another Remco next season, heck, maybe even at the end of this one. I remain a believer.

He also said he thinks his descending was getting better and better, and he only felt really uncomfortable on the sterrati. His crash before abandoning was due to circumstances, not bad handling as such. However, he aknowledged it's one of his weaknesses, together with accelerations, and he is prepared to work on them because he knows at top level it's all important.

Go Remco!

I just watched it as well. For the ones interested, it can be seen on their online player https://vtm.be/vtmgo/ik-ben-remco~p8fff52e0-edaa-4584-b357-003ddce6d79a
You need an account, but it doesn't seem to be region restricted (I could watch it in Sweden at least). Of course it's in Dutch...

Not that much new info in there imho, but it was kinda funny to see that twice he thought he would have had the maglia rosa after a stage. And in hindsight he thinks he should have pushed a little bit harder in stage 6 to grab that jersey, because he was feeling really good that day.

Also interesting to see his parents were actually really disappointed when he didn't win the prologue (or came 2nd after that TT machine). They expected him to battle for the win at least.

Also interesting to see his parents were actually really disappointed when he didn't win the prologue (or came 2nd after that TT machine). They expected him to battle for the win at least.

This doesn't seem healthy to me. Puts his parents being so grounded or down to earth or whatever in a different perspective.
I believe it was more a case of reflecting their son's ambition and desire, rather than having those same expectations. Throughout the docu you notice they are just glad he's with them and he's racing again. They didn't mind at all him letting go in the Zoncolan stage.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
I believe it was more a case of reflecting their son's ambition and desire, rather than having those same expectations. Throughout the docu you notice they are just glad he's with them and he's racing again. They didn't mind at all him letting go in the Zoncolan stage.

Yes indeed! I misphrased that a bit perhaps. It does not look like they are pushing him at all, but Remco himself however seemed to had the ambition to win the prologue ;-)

TRENDING THREADS