• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 233 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
lol
He's shown nothing but amazing recovery in every race ever, except the Giro of which we know he had an extremely limited prep. But yeah, "recovery is the issue". Oh, he can't sprint like van der Poel? He should retire then, because obviously Bernal, Carapaz and Pogacar they blast van der Poel out of the water. You're comparing apples with oranges just whatever fits your argument. Let's ignore the fact that he's a woldclass ITT'er as opposed to for instance Bernal, but hey, that's just a minor detail for a GC rider, amirite.

Or we could wait for him to get in decent shape before judging his recovery in a GT. We could also try to remain realistic and realize he, nor any other GC rider, will have the same punch as van der Poel. And we could try and be honest with our assessment regarding his GC skills, and include his TT. But of course, that's just my opinion.

He has shown as much recovering ability in the Giro as he has shown in any race before, I mean the longest race he did before was 7 stages and until that point he was on 2nd place in the Giro GC. It wasnt until stage 11 he started to look worse. Anyways we cant draw many conclusions from all that for the his future as a GT rider.

Yea weird race, if he would have been alone (I mean he practially was anyways, not getting any help by the other two) and held off the peleton like he did you can think about what amazing performance that was. But he was not able to shake the two nonames on a course which featured quite a few climbs. I rather question the chasing effort by the peloton in that case.

He was however able to destroy a WT rider and World Hour Record holder who did nothing but sit on his wheel.

Campanaerts:

"Yesterday the opening stage of the Tour of Belgium was epic. I was really super focused and the team was really motivated," Campenaerts said. "I tried everything I could, I went totally over the limit and totally cramped at the end, as you could clearly see.

"Totally over the limit" doing nothing but trying to hold the wheel. Think about that for a minute.

There were several attacks out of the peloton that really went nowhere. By all accounts the racing was tough yesterday, and that group was quite often strung out in single file for k's at a time . I don't see any reason to question the effort of the group. I'd instead re-examine one's view of the actual level of the no-names and realize that doing zero work for 32k means it's a lot easier to keep from getting dropped, no matter who you are.

Reactions: Big Doopie
lol
He's shown nothing but amazing recovery in every race ever, except the Giro of which we know he had an extremely limited prep. But yeah, "recovery is the issue". Oh, he can't sprint like van der Poel? He should retire then, because obviously Bernal, Carapaz and Pogacar they blast van der Poel out of the water. You're comparing apples with oranges just whatever fits your argument. Let's ignore the fact that he's a woldclass ITT'er as opposed to for instance Bernal, but hey, that's just a minor detail for a GC rider, amirite.

Or we could wait for him to get in decent shape before judging his recovery in a GT. We could also try to remain realistic and realize he, nor any other GC rider, will have the same punch as van der Poel. And we could try and be honest with our assessment regarding his GC skills, and include his TT. But of course, that's just my opinion.
Yes, I think we should all try this...

Reactions: Savant12
He was however able to destroy a WT rider and World Hour Record holder who did nothing but sit on his wheel.

Campanaerts:

"Yesterday the opening stage of the Tour of Belgium was epic. I was really super focused and the team was really motivated," Campenaerts said. "I tried everything I could, I went totally over the limit and totally cramped at the end, as you could clearly see.

"Totally over the limit" doing nothing but trying to hold the wheel. Think about that for a minute.

There were several attacks out of the peloton that really went nowhere. By all accounts the racing was tough yesterday, and that group was quite often strung out in single file for k's at a time . I don't see any reason to question the effort of the group. I'd instead re-examine one's view of the actual level of the no-names and realize that doing zero work for 32k means it's a lot easier to keep from getting dropped, no matter who you are.

Why not dropping them on one of the climbs then, they were sure hard enough to drop Big Vic?

I don't know. Maybe he was tired from pulling everyone for 30k? Maybe these guys aren't the chumps folks seem to think they are? He's not invincible? All of the above?

Why do you think he didn't drop them?

Yea, I agree probably a mix of all that. I guess those 2 riders where really good today (since the peloton didnt manage to close the gap) and he wasnt as good as we have seen him before.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Yea, I agree probably a mix of all that. I guess those 2 riders where really good today (since the peloton didnt manage to close the gap) and he wasnt as good as we have seen him before.

I agree, he's probably not quite where he was, but ominously strong all the same.

It's interesting the reaction to this kid, and this isn't really addressed to you but more a general observation. Take Remco out of it and look at the situation. We have a rider who attacks from over 30 k out, bringing several riders with him. Ask yourself, how many times do we see that rider stop after no one else will pull through? After how long? Wouldn't we say most riders would pull off and start gesticulating for others to pull through...in about 300 meters...at the most? This rider pulls for at least 15 k before the hand-waving and histrionics begin, which is frankly stunning. So there's no question the rider doesn't care about the stage win at that point, and is either doing a suicide attack (what, is he Ludo Dierckxsens?) or is really just gunning for time on GC. I mean who would do that? It's nutty. And amazing how strong the rider is. Would anyone expect this person to pull out the win? No, of course not, no chance.

But it's Remco, so for some reason people expect him to do all that and then drop everyone and win. Anyone else they'd either call them an idiot or just recognize they were going for the GC and give them kudos for animating the race in an incredible way.

I guess the simple answer is that the kid has re-set our expectations for what is possible so much, that we expect the impossible.

The level of the Belgium tour is not high enough to make big conclusions regarding his progress but 10 months after that terrible crash it's fair to say his current level is at least comparable to what he showed us mid 2019. I like his determination and efforts to start winning again after that difficult giro exit. I hope he will conquer any fears that still haunt him and continue his progress. We need him at his best. Regardless what people think of him and regardless of what he will or will not do in future GT's, he is one of those guys that make this sport so fun to watch.

image.png

Remco refused to grab a piece before yesterday's TT. Not the best advertising I guess.

But imagine him doing the same that Campenaerts did with his sponsored redbulls before the hour record attempt :D

I agree, he's probably not quite where he was, but ominously strong all the same.

It's interesting the reaction to this kid, and this isn't really addressed to you but more a general observation. Take Remco out of it and look at the situation. We have a rider who attacks from over 30 k out, bringing several riders with him. Ask yourself, how many times do we see that rider stop after no one else will pull through? After how long? Wouldn't we say most riders would pull off and start gesticulating for others to pull through...in about 300 meters...at the most? This rider pulls for at least 15 k before the hand-waving and histrionics begin, which is frankly stunning. So there's no question the rider doesn't care about the stage win at that point, and is either doing a suicide attack (what, is he Ludo Dierckxsens?) or is really just gunning for time on GC. I mean who would do that? It's nutty. And amazing how strong the rider is. Would anyone expect this person to pull out the win? No, of course not, no chance.

But it's Remco, so for some reason people expect him to do all that and then drop everyone and win. Anyone else they'd either call them an idiot or just recognize they were going for the GC and give them kudos for animating the race in an incredible way.

I guess the simple answer is that the kid has re-set our expectations for what is possible so much, that we expect the impossible.

I agree, but then it's the Baloise Tour of Belgium, a race very few people care about. If he did that even in the Daupine, TdS or P-N, people would be more excited.

Still, it's very good to see him close to where he used to be and doing his thing again.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So there's no question the rider doesn't care about the stage win at that point
Yet he's over the moon about yesterday's stage win, but somehow day before it didn't matter to him :rolleyes:
The truth is, he lacks experience in that situations. He would've of course love to win that stage, but didn't know how. GC was also on his mind of course, so he just keep pushing till the end, hoping that maybe his crazy tempo will break those two.

Yet he's over the moon about yesterday's stage win, but somehow day before it didn't matter to him :rolleyes:
The truth is, he lacks experience in that situations. He would've of course love to win that stage, but didn't know how. GC was also on his mind of course, so he just keep pushing till the end, hoping that maybe his crazy tempo will break those two.
Obviously stage 1 did matter to him. He said he was disappointed after the stage. But GC matters more to him than the stage. That's not so hard to understand, is it?

Yes, I understand it, but my post was addressed to his "defenders" who know that he didn't rode for the stage...

Still, I'm sure at this point he's himself aware of his strengths and weaknesses, and you have to make choices sometimes - gamble for the win, go all out for the time gap, attack here, don't attack, follow or lead. Contador never won more than 2 stages at a single GT, and he won a bunch of GTs without winning any. it would be nice if Evenepoel was more explosive, but it's not his biggest problem.

I'm extremely impressed by the mileage this thread has gotten out of Evenepoel getting outsprinted after dragging someone to the finish line.

Still, I'm sure at this point he's himself aware of his strengths and weaknesses, and you have to make choices sometimes - gamble for the win, go all out for the time gap, attack here, don't attack, follow or lead. Contador never won more than 2 stages at a single GT, and he won a bunch of GTs without winning any. it would be nice if Evenepoel was more explosive, but it's not his biggest problem.

Contador just wasn't very greedy when he was dominant, and when he didn't win GC he also wasn't close/didn't have days good enough for winning stages.

Contador just wasn't very greedy when he was dominant, and when he didn't win GC he also wasn't close/didn't have days good enough for winning stages.

He was greedy about winning GTs, because that's what mattered more to him. That's what I'm saying. Sure Evenepoel wanted to win that stage (and yeah, it is a bit ridiculous to talk that much about the *** Belgium Tour), but in the end it means nothing.

TRENDING THREADS