• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 239 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I think third in the Belgian Championship is a great result, i don't understand why anyone would be mocking Evenepoel for that. It's essentially one of the harder one-day-races on the calendar, probably in the top 1/4 I'd say by level of competition right now. It's not the championship of Luxemburg or Czechia or whatever.

Evenepoel apparently (just from reading the race report) gave it a really good effort and it seems he has a decent chance of wearing that jersey one day.

Reactions: Big Doopie and Wvv
Hate messages and oversimplified opinions we can miss here.
Once Evenepoel will be fully recovered (in the 2022 season), he'll beat Van Aert (and other allrounders) in hilly one-day races and in hilly short stage races. No doubt about it. And I'm a Van Aert supporter. Not an "anti" supporter of any rider at all. Of course, on certain courses and with an unequal condition Van Aert will beat Evenepoel.
yeah, there is quite a lot of doubt about it but dont let that stop the hype machine

Reactions: Sandisfan

He hates losing more than he loves winning. Sure it’s not a good look, but I think he’s frustrated because he’s not sure what he can do. He’s not where he was right before his crash, and he’s not been able to ride away from everyone at the Baloise and the RR.

I think the Olympics and WC courses give much better opportunities.

Reactions: Big Doopie
He hates losing more than he loves winning. Sure it’s not a good look, but I think he’s frustrated because he’s not sure what he can do. He’s not where he was right before his crash, and he’s not been able to ride away from everyone at the Baloise and the RR.

I don’t have any insight into Remco’s psyche, but I know for me nothing gets me so angry as when my body lets me down because of injuries and illness. And it happens pretty regularly—nonetheless if I’ve made progress with rehab or whatever and then have a really bad day physically I find it infuriating. And obviously I’m just talking about my recreation/enjoyment, not my profession. It’s almost like muscle memory working in reverse: my body remembers what it should be doing but isn’t anywhere close to that level. My anger is never directed at anyone else (or maybe just the gods and fate).

I think he just has to get used to it, you can't always win, but things just happen in the heat of the moment, maybe he just needs to let it all out so that he can let it go afterwards.
It's not like he could have done much better on a circuit like this one, so he shouldn't be too harsh to himself. I think that kind of attitude works better for a one day racer than for a gt rider.

He should've hit his handlebars right from the moment he escaped with Van Aert then...
Doing that on the finish line, while being some 10 bike lengths behind looks kind of silly.
I don't expect pro athletes to be particularly rational during an all out effort, or right after it. Even less if they are a few months removed from being teenagers.

And I'm pretty sure he would have looked a lot sillier if he had hit his handlebars with 20 something km to go while the race was still on...

I don't expect pro athletes to be particularly rational during an all out effort, or right after it. Even less if they are a few months removed from being teenagers.

And I'm pretty sure he would have looked a lot sillier if he had hit his handlebars with 20 something km to go while the race was still on...
That was of course said like some kind of a joke...
We have seen riders doing that quite often, but most usually when they make some big mistake at the finish, or lose by a slim margin, start sprint too late/too early and that kind of stuff...
And we have this situation, where probably even Evenepoel's parents knew he will not win, yet he's angry like something went wrong, like he should've won that easily, but somehow he lost.
To me, it looked kind of silly, to tell you the truth.

Don't really understand why lots of you struggle with his emotions. He's a true winner, but he had to settle for silver and bronze in the nationals. Let him be disappointed. It's not that he doesn't grant Wout the victory. They get along just fine and the respect is mutual.
lets not pretend like this is the first time he is doing this; screaming at other riders, throwing away headphones,...
First time I have ever seen a rider doing this stuff at such a young age in pros. I am sure the peloton already loves him

Remco is just not used to losing. They put him on the bench at soccer, he left soccer. He went on to win everything as a junior and neopro.

Then came the injury and he is clearly having a hard time getting to his old form (which is normal)

Plus, I think he notices that he lacks some basic skills/technique which riders have that ride since they were little kids. Which is also normal.

Overall, he needs to grow. Also learn that cycling is a teamsport.
Not sure if the team of PL is a good place to learn those things though.

TRENDING THREADS