• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 242 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Would be good to put him to the Vuelta this year for maybe 2 weeks to give him second longer than usual race but not full GT. And with domestique duties, for Almeida, Masnada or whoever but absolutely not leader role. Getting bottles and stuff would be excellent training for him in highest playground, burst power and technical that he needs. Then Worlds, then rest, training and longish cx-season to give something else to think about and most of all technical and burst power. Then progressive roadtraining and racing and then hopefully full Giro.
Vuelta for stages. I could see that happen.

Reactions: memyselfandI
There was take about him doing the Vuelta as well this year. I think they've taken that option off the table, which could explain them wanting him to do the Giro again first.

So, no Vuelta.

Juli 24th & 28th: Olympics
August 24th: Druivenkoers Overijse
September 9th: Euro champs ITT
September 25th: World champs ITT
October 9th: Il Lombardia

I assume he will also ride the World championships RR, but he needs to wait for a selection first. I think Druivenkoers in Overijse will be some sort of test case.

No San Sebastian? He's the defending winner (Okay, it's pretty soon after the OGTT, so it makes sense).
Hardly surprising as it’s only 3 days after the Olympics TT race.

The San Seb field will likely be weaker than usual with many of those still backing up from the Olympics heavily jet lagged and unable to be in the condition to fight for victory.

Expect the likes of Bardet and Alaphillipe who are both skipping Tokyo to be big contenders.

He would be better off riding the Binck Banck Tour to make claims for selection in the Worlds.
Not at all. The reason why it's significant, is that the Druivenkoers is held in Overijse... which is where the WCC will pass through for the hardest part of the course. I don't think his form will be in question. The Olympics will show if he's "back" or not, but the Druivenkoers will show if the course suits him. He had his doubts about that, but honestly, i think it fits him to a T. It's a lot of up and down, similar to Brabantse Pijl which is also in/around Overijse.

Hardly surprising as it’s only 3 days after the Olympics TT race.

The San Seb field will likely be weaker than usual with many of those still backing up from the Olympics heavily jet lagged and unable to be in the condition to fight for victory.

Expect the likes of Bardet and Alaphillipe who are both skipping Tokyo to be big contenders.
Maybe Ayuso can make his mark against a "b-field" (this was also said when Evenepoel won it).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not at all. The reason why it's significant, is that the Druivenkoers is held in Overijse... which is where the WCC will pass through for the hardest part of the course. I don't think his form will be in question. The Olympics will show if he's "back" or not, but the Druivenkoers will show if the course suits him. He had his doubts about that, but honestly, i think it fits him to a T. It's a lot of up and down, similar to Brabantse Pijl which is also in/around Overijse.

Could he not do both ? Think he could nearly win the GC at the Binck Bank tour.

Could he not do both ? Think he could nearly win the GC at the Binck Bank tour.
It's been reported now that he'll do the BinckBank Tour (to be renamed "BeNeLux Tour") as well.

BeneluxTourl_16x9_63D9E4C026280EBBC125870D00443720.jpg

..in today's news...“I even think that Wout has an edge, as I saw him driving up the Mont Ventoux. He's perfectly fine,” Evenepoel said in comments reported by Dutch website Wielerflits. “If we go to the finish with a select leading group in the road race and there are still two of us there, I will definitely put on the sprint for Wout.

..in today's news...“I even think that Wout has an edge, as I saw him driving up the Mont Ventoux. He's perfectly fine,” Evenepoel said in comments reported by Dutch website Wielerflits. “If we go to the finish with a select leading group in the road race and there are still two of us there, I will definitely put on the sprint for Wout.

In other news: water is apparently wet.

It was a disappointing effort, especially on the Mikuni Pass.
Maybe he didn't try hard, which would be unlike the teamplayer he claims to be.
The TT will tell us more about his form, but I feel like he's still way off his pre-crash level. The national TT showed that clearly.
There's no way he would have lost to Lampaert by 20 seconds before his crash.
It's obvious that TdF participation was a big plus today, but Schachmann was a good contender, so it isn't much of an excuse.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It was a disappointing effort, especially on the Mikuni Pass.
Maybe he didn't try hard, which would be unlike the teamplayer he claims to be.
The TT will tell us more about his form, but I feel like he's still way off his pre-crash level. The national TT showed that clearly.
There's no way he would have lost to Lampaert by 20 seconds before his crash.
It's obvious that TdF participation was a big plus today, but Schachmann was a good contender, so it isn't much of an excuse.
Lampaert went very fast, IMO. Of course Evenepoel's pre-crash TT-level was higher, but still, it's a bit too easily dismissed as a mediocre performance.

TRENDING THREADS