• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 261 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Remco, stuck on the roadside waiting for Shimano Neutral service to change his disc front wheel was another reminder of how much benefit they bring.
Rafal Majka didn't get the memo yesterday in Spain and had to ride the last miles of the stage by himself without benefit of the disc wheel. He must feel like his Colnago bike isn't quite as good as the others and had to ride ahead in embarrassment.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that if Remco makes back the time on the TT, that another rider will become angry and go for the victory on the next stages?
No I am saying I want to see him do a full on attack on the selective road stages left and he is more likely to do that if still a fair way behind and will be still annoyed to have a deficit caused by a mechanical/other rider rather than bad legs or tactics.

Reactions: Andre
He can't take 57 seconds back against riders such as Asgreen, Kung or Bisseger in a 11 km time trail. Moreover, he might not win it, regardless of his current form. It's just too short and perfectly flat. So he will need to do an all out attack in the Ardennes to win this race. However, prior the race he said that he might need to manage his energy level a bit as the EC is his next goal. We will see if his frustrations are stronger than his plans and he decides to go all in again.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sure, but Ganna was destined in this phase of his career to focus on becoming the best timtrialist in the world. By contrast Evenepoel was targeting winning GC in stage races, worked much on his climbing, but then had a disastrous crash putting everything on hold.
Evenepoels main focus this year was the Olympic ITT. Ganna meanwhile was focused on the track team pursuit moreso than the Olympic ITT.

He can't take 57 seconds back against riders such as Asgreen, Kung or Bisseger in a 11 km time trail. Moreover, he might not win it, regardless of his current form. It's just too short and perfectly flat. So he will need to do an all out attack in the Ardennes to win this race. However, prior the race he said that he might need to manage his energy level a bit as the EC is his next goal. We will see if his frustrations are stronger than his plans and he decides to go all in again.
I saw Landis-like rage in his eyes yesterday. No chance in hell he'll take it easy this race. We're in for a treat.

The other teams should be thinking about one thing ahead of the Worlds: how to prevent Evenepoel or Van Aert from winning. It worked to some extent in Tokyo, but with Evenepoel in the Belgian squad, too, in a terrain that suits him perfectly, I can’t see any other way for the French, Italians, Danes etc than to sit on Belgium’s wheels and tire them out.
If Van Der Poel shows in decent form, there's your answer.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Remco posted his last races on Strava and he is so nice to show the data of his power meter.
His bad ITT yesterday was below 370W (Weighted Average) for 13 minutes. That is lower than a good U19 rider ;-). Compared to Max Walscheid who pushed 510W (is he 90+ kg?).

In Brussels Cycling Classic he did 393W average in the last 25 minutes of the race (roughly the attack with 2 and his solo).
In Overijse he did in the last 60km 373W what resulted in a speed of 46,6km/h.
We could now guess his FTP.

Edit; changed the remark from U17 to U19; don't know of U17 riders with power meter ;-).

Last edited:
Reactions: limak_
Remco, stuck on the roadside waiting for Shimano Neutral service to change his disc front wheel was another reminder of how much benefit they bring.

It's the team's fault, not the discs. I still don't understand why they prefer to save 20 grams instead of having a quick release on the bikes. He could have taken the wheel out while waiting for the car... This situation already happend several times, but the teams learn nothing from it.

Reactions: Oldermanish
It's the team's fault, not the discs. I still don't understand why they prefer to save 20 grams instead of having a quick release on the bikes. He could have taken the wheel out while waiting for the car... This situation already happend several times, but the teams learn nothing from it.
The other part you didn't include was that Majka won an exceptional stage while adding time to his buffer on descents....without discs. They're great for mountain and gravel but not necessary for GTs or anyone that doesn't need added maintenance to their Proclone Dreambike and particularly maintenance that involves trips to a bike shop. I'm grumpy and have noticed alot of guys standing on the side of the road waiting for wheels and a reboot of their derailleurs that won't shift. Names like Sagan, Remco, Alaphilippe....paid very well to win races.
I've had to wait for newbies trying to fix this sh*t along with getting tubeless smegma all over themselves before they finally throw a tube in their flat. Meanwhile the group graciously waiting for them are getting cold. Dammit.

TRENDING THREADS