• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 267 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Don't know what he said, but I wouldn't be surprised if WvA actually has better W/kg on but just has a worse position on the TT bike than Ganna.
This seems like a given. But on a flat-ish course that's not the most important factor. I think in the entire peloton only Ganna pushes more watts than van Aert (just a guess, can't think of anyone). Ganna has been trained for that position for years, while van Aert had only picked it up since 2019 and only per occasion.

Would like to know their CdA.

Reactions: Sandisfan
6.3w/kg best of the field? Do you know what the rest of the top 10 did? It does not seems huge for a 40min effort

Almost 50-minute effort so 6.3 w/kg is a lot, especially in TT position (a small fraction of power is lost compared to normal position). You will have a hard time finding in recent years efforts greater than 6.3 w/kg when duration is approaching an hour (maybe legendary PDBF TT but no powermeter :p). We've seen 6.5-6.6 w/kg by Pogi on climbs but duration was 20-25 minutes: twice shorter, which enables cyclists to go a few percent beyond FPT.

BTW I'm certain that most of other guys had between 5.5 and 6 w/kg (typical long effort for good but heavy TT-ists)

Last edited:
Reactions: limak_ and LucVdB
Hahahaha Partick Lefevere: about Evenepoel, Lefevere said in the HLN Sportcast that he is confident that after this year of trial and error in 2022 he will be the old one again: "In all honesty: if Remco can finish the season without any problems until the last race - that will be Lombardy - and has a good winter, then I expect that he will be at least ten percent better next year." :sweatsmile:

Hahahaha Partick Lefevere: about Evenepoel, Lefevere said in the HLN Sportcast that he is confident that after this year of trial and error in 2022 he will be the old one again: "In all honesty: if Remco can finish the season without any problems until the last race - that will be Lombardy - and has a good winter, then I expect that he will be at least ten percent better next year." :sweatsmile:
10 percent. Lmao

If that's the case Pog & Rog may as well start commentator careers.

Almost 50-minute effort so 6.3 w/kg is a lot, especially in TT position (a small fraction of power is lost compared to normal position). You will have a hard time finding in recent years efforts greater than 6.3 w/kg when duration is approaching an hour (maybe legendary PDBF TT but no powermeter :p). We've seen 6.5-6.6 w/kg by Pogi on climbs but duration was 20-25 minutes: twice shorter, which enables cyclists to go a few percent beyond FPT.

BTW I'm certain that most of other guys had between 5.5 and 6 w/kg (typical long effort for good but heavy TT-ists)
MAL did Col de La Loze at 6W/kg for an a full hour finishing at 2300m at the end of a 5 hour stage.

He said he pushed some of his best numbers ever at Druivenkoers and i can imagine. He was able to hold off a chasing peloton and increase his lead. In terms of being chased, i think this may have been the time where he successfully distanced the most organized chase with constantly 4-6 guys working hard to bring him back, over the longest distance. There were almost always more than one lotto, more than one Alpecin and one or two UAE's working, one of which was Bjerg.

His attack at the euro's was also quite punchy. And i imagined his sprint would have been much worse to be honest.

But i can not understand where you guys get that he's improved his bikehandling. First of all, i think his bikehandling is mostly off in specific scenario's, such as riding gravel or descends. Most of the "common" scenario's were already less of an issue before his crash. Remember 2019, where not a week went by or he hit the deck. In 2020 he only crashed once iirc. But it was more severe than his previous crashes combined.

But my point is, where and when do you guys think he improved his bikehandling all of a sudden? Compared to / since when?

I would say he is just not very talented when it comes to bike handling I mean although he is young and all the guy has raced and ridden his bike long enough at least not to stand out negatively. The bike handling skills needed to be an unrecognizble average roadcyclist dont really take that long to aquire. We usually dont see neopros crashing way more than experienced riders. Its smth in the category easy to learn (being able to coast in a peloton without causing damage to yourself and others), hard to master (Sagan, Nibalis decending).

I read somewhere that Contador has the best 20 minute effort of 7.4 w/kg, that's crazy.

Doubtful. During racing peak Pogacar can produce about 6.5-6.6 w/kg for 20 minutes, which results in about 1850 m/h of VAM on moderately steep climbs (8%). This climbing speed is among highest achieved in modern cycling for regular non-murito climbs. Contador's best climb (Verbier) was even a bit faster than that but 6.6-6.7 w/kg is a more realistic estimate of his 20-minute peak performance. Hypothetically (in a 20-minute standalone uphill TT) they could produce a bit more but 7.4 w/kg looks alien.

TRENDING THREADS