• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 268 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Doubtful. During racing peak Pogacar can produce about 6.5-6.6 w/kg for 20 minutes, which results in about 1850 m/h of VAM on moderately steep climbs (8%). This climbing speed is among highest achieved in modern cycling for regular non-murito climbs. Contador's best climb (Verbier) was even a bit faster than that but 6.6-6.7 w/kg is a more realistic estimate of his 20-minute peak performance. Hypothetically (in a 20-minute standalone uphill TT) they could produce a bit more but 7.4 w/kg looks alien.
Not even pantani did 7.4 w/kg.

Guys, 10% better means 10% more wins. Which is probably selling him short, considering he only started racing in May, half crippled.

Seriously though, i don't think you need to take that 10% too literally. He probably means "noticeably better", which is quite likely given this years bumpy trajectory.
In that sense 10% better means very little.

But yeah in general when they're throwing percentages out there they never make sense in terms of Watts.

389W, weegt Remco geen 60-61kg? (start giro 60.5kg, geen id wat het nu is.) Maar dat zou dan eerder 6.48-6.37W/kg zijn.
I think he's a bit heavier again. My guess would be around 62 or so. I think i read some comments about missing some power for the flatter TT's, so i would imagine him being less skinny than for the Giro. But it's just a hunch.

I think he's a bit heavier again. My guess would be around 62 or so. I think i read some comments about missing some power for the flatter TT's, so i would imagine him being less skinny than for the Giro. But it's just a hunch.
Seems reasonable to try to be slimmer for a GT, though it was probably a bit too much in conjunction with lacking a base and it being his first race back.

If he can cycle his weight with like 2kg depending on his goals that would be quite good.

Remco reacting to Eddy Merckx’s comment that he thought it had maybe been better to leave Remco home (well ok he is home anyways in Belgium but you get what I mean) as he probably wont ever work for Wout.

Evenepoel reageert op de kritiek van Eddy Merckx: “Heb veel respect voor hem, maar blijkbaar is dat niet wederzijds” https://www.hln.be/wk-wielrennen/evenepoel-reageert-op-de-kritiek-van-eddy-merckx-heb-veel-respect-voor-hem-maar-blijkbaar-is-dat-niet-wederzijds~affff369/

He says that Eddy always has to say something. That he has a lot of respect for Eddy but it is not mutual. That Eddy is probably still mad because he did not join Axel’s team…

I know Eddy can make some irrelevant comments, but there are more people who think he wont work for Wout.…I still believe Remco is one of the biggest talents ever, but someone should tell him that this is not the way to react to comments.

At this rate he is going to be having a lot of enemies in the cyclist world soon. ..

I personally believe we will get the signature Remco attack but he will then do some work for Wout as soon as they are caught.

Remco reacting to Eddy Merckx’s comment that he thought it had maybe been better to leave Remco home (well ok he is home anyways in Belgium but you get what I mean) as he probably wont ever work for Wout.

Evenepoel reageert op de kritiek van Eddy Merckx: “Heb veel respect voor hem, maar blijkbaar is dat niet wederzijds” https://www.hln.be/wk-wielrennen/evenepoel-reageert-op-de-kritiek-van-eddy-merckx-heb-veel-respect-voor-hem-maar-blijkbaar-is-dat-niet-wederzijds~affff369/

He says that Eddy always has to say something. That he has a lot of respect for Eddy but it is not mutual. That Eddy is probably still mad because he did not join Axel’s team…

I know Eddy can make some irrelevant comments, but there are more people who think he wont work for Wout.…I still believe Remco is one of the biggest talents ever, but someone should tell him that this is not the way to react to comments.

At this rate he is going to be having a lot of enemies in the cyclist world soon. ..

I personally believe we will get the signature Remco attack but he will then do some work for Wout as soon as they are caught.
Everyone should stop complaining that REV is not a teamplayer. Remember WC 2019 where he sacrified his chances for Gilbert. At the olympics 2021 he was simply not good enough.

This is lining up perfectly for a selfish kamikaze attack, I'm praying he lights it up and tows Roglic or someone of equal comedy value to the finish line.

I wasn't a fan when he had a go at that random helper after a race, but having a pop at Merckx is hilarious, cycling is far more boring without impetuous people like him and Lopez, you never know what to expect. Great entertainment.

I know Eddy can make some irrelevant comments, but there are more people who think he wont work for Wout.…
The Belgian coach wasn't pleased with Evenepoel's kamikaze attack at the Olympics, if you read between the lines. It would surprise me if Evenepoel went rogue this time. This about says it all:

“It’s not a main goal to win fans back but I think it’s good for him at his age, with a World Championships in Belgium, with everyone together,” Vanthourenhout told Cyclingnews.

TRENDING THREADS