• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 296 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Appearently some big names got nice sums of money to start the race.
So for riders like Kung or Evenepoel it probably was a financial choice to race. Could be wrong though.
Evenepoel is a rider who wants to win when he competes. Him not even beating Di Marchi is a clear sign that he was bad. So bad that he should have been able to tell in advance that his form was going down. Maybe he still has some learning to do when it comes to listening to his body. I think that if he knew he wasn't going to be able to compete for the victory, he shouldn't have participated. If he only did it because of the paycheck that doesn't seem like a good incentive, he's said before he doesn't care about the money... and i don't think he is suffering financially to begin with.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Evenepoel is a rider who wants to win when he competes. Him not even beating Di Marchi is a clear sign that he was bad. So bad that he should have been able to tell in advance that his form was going down. Maybe he still has some learning to do when it comes to listening to his body. I think that if he knew he wasn't going to be able to compete for the victory, he shouldn't have participated. If he only did it because of the paycheck that doesn't seem like a good incentive, he's said before he doesn't care about the money... and i don't think he is suffering financially to begin with.

So he's doing the Pizza Hut thing just for fun as well, right?
Of course he cares about money, and he should ... Which is not the same as choosing Ineos over the Quickies just because they'd pay more. But if he'd get a nice amount to just start, he'd be a fool not to take it, even when not in form. Imho.

Of course he cares about money, and he should ... Which is not the same as choosing Ineos over the Quickies just because they'd pay more. But if he'd get a nice amount to just start, he'd be a fool not to take it, even when not in form. Imho.
And he confirmed that with his happy embracement of his coming off time. He also is taking some pressure off himself by admitting that a competitive GT is going to take work. Our expectations could take the time off, too but that would leave alot of Belgian fans with nothing to do this Winter.

And he confirmed that with his happy embracement of his coming off time. He also is taking some pressure off himself by admitting that a competitive GT is going to take work. Our expectations could take the time off, too but that would leave alot of Belgian fans with nothing to do this Winter.
Oh, no. Don't worry. Our expectations will still remain high.

I think there's a clear difference. The Pizza Hut thing is a long term sponsorship deal. Him doing Chrono des Nations while in dubious form seems more like a quick cash grab. Organizers want to see the best in the world battle it out, that's why they pay them to come to the race. I'm also inclined to think that an extra week of rest after a tiring season might have been a better idea, than to postpone that and scrape the bottom of the barrel. Just my two cents. Not a big deal though.

I think there's a clear difference. The Pizza Hut thing is a long term sponsorship deal. Him doing Chrono des Nations while in dubious form seems more like a quick cash grab. Organizers want to see the best in the world battle it out, that's why they pay them to come to the race. I'm also inclined to think that an extra week of rest after a tiring season might have been a better idea, than to postpone that and scrape the bottom of the barrel. Just my two cents. Not a big deal though.
I see it a bit as a post tour crit, although this effort is a lot harder. I think it also depends a bit on how much money we're talking about to decide if it makes a bit of sense.

I think it depends on what goals he wants to set in a year. If he wants to win his first GT and go all in on that he should go to the Giro but that's likely a mistake too. Vuelta vs Tour is a lot closer IMO.

Well, he says he's not at a level to challenge Pog&Rog&Bernal (there are more levels than one regarding those three though) but hopes he'll be there next season. I'm sure his goal next year is to go for the GC and he probably won't be happy with a place off the podium.

TRENDING THREADS