• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 322 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He's more likely to win by the same margin tomorrow than to lose the overall.
I actually can see that happening. If other teams make thw race hard before the first Malhao climb, and his explosivity has really improved. As someone else stated: tomorrow will be the real lithmus test. Not really to assess his climbing skills, but to see if his "big thighs" are of any use in the Ardennes.

Damn, just look at that thick thighed aero devil.

CORVOS_00033962-030-e1645291289847-728x350.jpg

Eyes at hip level. Dream time trialist.

?
How professional do you think Spilak was?

Very unprofessional. People often spoke about how he spent most of his time water skiing on the Garda lake in his non-contract seasons, very uninterested in his cycling when it wasn't important in order to secure a salary.

Of course, you're probably going to argue now that earning money is what defines being professional so that there was nothing wrong with that...

Very unprofessional. People often spoke about how he spent most of his time water skiing on the Garda lake in his non-contract seasons, very uninterested in his cycling when it wasn't important in order to secure a salary.

Of course, you're probably going to argue now that earning money is what defines being professional so that there was nothing wrong with that...
I've never read that and thus didn't know that about Spilak, hence my question. Thank you for the answer.

Evenepoel certainly seems very ambitious and driven.

The distributions of their strengths seem quite different to me, so I don't think the comparison is very meaningful, nor do I think it's true that Evenepoel is quite a lot better (as a blanket statement).

I've never read that and thus didn't know that about Spilak, hence my question. Thank you for the answer.

Evenepoel certainly seems very ambitious and driven.

The distributions of their strengths seem quite different to me, so I don't think the comparison is very meaningful, nor do I think it's true that Evenepoel is quite a lot better (as a blanket statement).

Spilak could do one thing; one-week races.

I think it's quite evident that Evenepoel has an infinitely higher ceiling than Spilak. He can become a much better one-week racer than him, he can in all likelihood win monuments and compete for Grand Tour victories and is an elite time trialist too.

I see it as nothing but mockery to call him a Belgian Spilak but understand why some people can resent him.

TRENDING THREADS