• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 366 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Ok. While i agree he should try and stay away from the media more, bitching that he gets invited to a cycling talkshow after his biggest win (which happens to be the biggest win of any Belgian rider of the past 5 years) is beyond ridiculous.
I didn't b*tch that he got invited. It's my opinion that he shouldn't accept because he has the tendency to get into trouble whenever he opens his mouth. Haven't you noticed?

• Haha
Reactions: wheresmybrakes
He did it at 22 years-old, not from a limited group, but on his own when nobody could follow. If they were calculating they miscalculated royally and even when an organized chase ensued they could not get back on terms. Next year will be much harder for Remco, but his show of strength this time was simply formidable, as every pro remarked that was in the race. End of story.

PS. And how often can we expect a 30 k out storm to the finish at Liege? Once in 40 years? So enjoy it, because it won't happen again for a long time.

Last edited:
You forgot Stuyven's MSR last year. I think the combination of 'how' he did it and the fact that it's LBL, a race Belgians aren't particularly good at and haven't won since 2011, makes it probably the biggest win of the last 5 years.
I could more easily see why Stuyvens win was less lauded as he did not win by being clearly the strongest nor does it obviously feel like the first of many big wins as is the expectation with Wout and Remco.

I could more easily see why Stuyvens win was less lauded as he did not win by being clearly the strongest nor does it obviously feel like the first of many big wins as is the expectation with Wout and Remco.
Outsider wins I think are generally treated a bit different by domestic media anyway. That is, if a rider is the countries main rider. And has Stuyven been legit one of the 5 best Belgian riders at any point?

Big fan too but what makes this a bigger win than Wouts MSR or Gilbert winning Paris Roubaix which were both in the last 5 years.
Because Liège is a more prestigeous race than MSR. And especially in Belgium. But, sure, i forgot Gilbert in Roubaix. Though i would put the context and exploit of Evenepoel's win above that of Gilbert, but that's just personal preference.

Reactions: hayneplane
He did it at 22 years-old, not from a limited group, but on his own when nobody could follow. If they were calculating they miscalculated royally and even when an organized chase ensued they could not get back on terms. Next year will be much harder for Remco, but his show of strength this time was simply formidable, as every pro remarked that was in the race. End of story.

PS. And how often can we expect a 30 k out storm to the finish at Liege? Once in 40 years? So enojoy it, because it won't happen again for a long time.
Longest solo in LBL since B.Hinault in 1980

Congrats for ignoring the context. It was implied. Why would you be up his ass about something he has no control over. So indeed, obviously.

Don't bother replying.
I reply what I want. Since when does someone have to accept a talkshow invitation? Didn't you say this three posts ago? "While i agree he should try and stay away from the media more"
You're free to reply, but I'm ok if you don't bother.

Big fan too but what makes this a bigger win than Wouts MSR or Gilbert winning Paris Roubaix which were both in the last 5 years.
Hard to say, all subjective. But the win being in Belgium is a big deal vs MSR. Hard to argue any one day win is better than PR, except the Ronde for Flandrians. I think value/joy/enthusiasm around the win, and Remco's career in general, is rooted in the promise of Remco.

The PROMISE OF REMCO® is that a Belgian, one who both regions can root for as their own, can one day WIN THE TOUR. The Belgians have been dying for someone who can win it for decades and decades. He is the great Belgian hope. Whether folks on the outside believe he can do it is irrelevant.

He personifies the dream of a cycling-mad nation to WIN THE TOUR. As such, every win is more significant, particularly one which shows he can climb a bit. So winning LBL has some extra oomph beyond "just" a single monument win. It's all about HOPE.

Last edited:
Hard to say, all subjective. But the win being in Belgium is a big deal vs MSR. Hard to argue any one day win is better than PR, except for the Ronde for Flandrians. I think value/joy/enthusiasm around the win, and Remco's career in general, is the promise of Remco.

The PROMISE OF REMCO® is that a Belgian, one who both regions can root for as their own, can one day WIN THE TOUR. The Belgians have been dying for someone who can win it for decades and decades. He is the great Belgian hope. Whether folks on the outside believe he can do it is irrelevant.

He personifies the dream of a cycling-mad nation to WIN THE TOUR. As such, every win is more significant, particularly one which shows he can climb a bit. So winning LBL has some extra oomph beyond "just" a single monument win. It's all about HOPE.
Pretty accurate explanation.

Reactions: red_flanders
Whut, remco not racing next year?
Surely he'll try a solo from the bottum of the Redoute and add another 1k to the lenght of the attack.
Yea, but after this year's escapade everyone will be glued to his wheel from 50 k out me thinks. If he is stronger, as in theory he should be, he could even wait till RaF. At any rate, hope next year all the top names are present.

Unlike in GT's, rinse and repeat tactics are less likely to continually work in monuments or one day classics (apart from maybe FW). LBL may well suit Remco as much as GT's suit Tadej, but winning dominance is likely to be more difficult.

Perhaps next year a 90% attack on Redoute to at least thin out the group, leaving a little in the tank for an all out effort towards the top of RAF? Well, such moves are subject to many variables of course, such as who initially goes with Remco, and then how much work they are willing to do with him.

Regardless, with a long and healthy career, this is one race that Remco could eventually match Eddy in.

Unlike in GT's, rinse and repeat tactics are less likely to continually work in monuments or one day classics (apart from maybe FW). LBL may well suit Remco as much as GT's suit Tadej, but winning dominance is likely to be more difficult.

Perhaps next year a 90% attack on Redoute to at least thin out the group, leaving a little in the tank for an all out effort towards the top of RAF? Well, such moves are subject to many variables of course, such as who initially goes with Remco, and then how much work they are willing to do with him.

Regardless, with a long and healthy career, this is one race that Remco could eventually match Eddy in.

It makes sense today but I don't think Pogacar and Evenepoel 2022 levels can be used as baseline for the years to come.

Pogacar is 23yo, started cycling very early, was an average junior and exploded as a pro, and is continuously progressing.
Evenepoel is 22yo, started cycling at 17yo (probably 5-7 years after Pogacar), was probably the best junior ever, and suffered a terrible injury after a few months as a pro.

So both of them could still be far from their potential, and we could see different riders as soon as next year.
2 years ago you could genuinely think that Pogacar would have no chance against Evenepoel.
Today it's the opposite.
Tomorrow who knows... Pogacar could continue to progress at the same speed and then... game over.

TRENDING THREADS