• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 403 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I would think Remco to be better at RVV than at Amstel or FW. Seeing what Pogacar did this year, I don't see why an in form Remco wouldnt contest.

The handling skills and the descent abilities have improved slightly. But Evenepoel still can't ride efficiently on cobbles and gravel. We saw that again this season. It's partly psychological. It just locks up when riding on gravel. In the Brabantse Pijl we saw him mess on the cobblestones.
I don't think this will ever work out. So, no Flanders or Roubaix, not even the Strade Bianche and most Flemish spring classics. He can ride Milan-San Remo (without winning chances) and the Amstel. He can even win that race if the race is made hard (early).

Reactions: Sandisfan
His pace actually increased throughout the race.

Check point 1: 13:31
Check Point 2: 26:58 (13:27)
Final 40:22 (13:24)

Very good layout. Evenepoel can ride a balanced time trial.
Still, I think the intention was to start a little faster.
But losing his water bottle at the very beginning will make him doubt a bit. After that he will have built in a little more reserve because he knew he wouldn't be able to drink. And that at the high temperatures. That slightly more cautious start ultimately had a good result.

The handling skills and the descent abilities have improved slightly. But Evenepoel still can't ride efficiently on cobbles and gravel. We saw that again this season. It's partly psychological. It just locks up when riding on gravel. In the Brabantse Pijl we saw him mess on the cobblestones.
I don't think this will ever work out. So, no Flanders or Roubaix, not even the Strade Bianche and most Flemish spring classics. He can ride Milan-San Remo (without winning chances) and the Amstel. He can even win that race if the race is made hard (early).
The significance of Flanders cobbles is very overrated, it's by no means comparable to the impact of the PR sectors. I think in the future a spring season centered around Flanders, Amstel and LBL is very feasable for him (if he doesn't target the Giro).

He can ride Milan-San Remo (without winning chances)

I'm still dreaming of Remco making the first winning attack on Cipressa in living memory (or ever?) or even - what the hell? - on Turchino. That would be something. :)

But he's not winning off Poggio, yeah. Maybe a last km attack or something if the race situation is really favourable, but it's unlikely.

I disagree, with the caveat that he would have to really want to win on the cobbles. That would mean riding as many cobbled races as possible, even something like Paris Tours or Tro Bro Leon, as well as SB, to get a feel for riding off-asphalt. With his long-range engine in theory he could win any of these races, once he gained confidence and efficiency.

But again, it would be a process, so any results early on would be a bonus.

I don't actually think he'd have much of a shot at MSR. That race seems to attract too many real puncheurs. Amstel, maybe as you say if it's hard early on and it becomes attrition.

Yet the key points are Kwaremont and Paterberg. Cobbles.

Meh. The main though thing about about those cobbles is that it's harder to climb en danseuse as opposed to climbing sitting in the saddle. Remco usually climbs in the saddle so I don't think the cobbles are the main issue. His lack of pure explosiveness and lack of placement before the climb will be a bigger issue.

If he is to win RVV, I think it'll be like Gilbert won it. End up in the front group with 70k's to go almost by accident, leave that front group with 50 k's to go never to be seen again while Steppers protect his attack in the following group.

But he will still block on the cobblestones. Not just physically, but especially psychologically. I can only see him participating in the Nieuwsblad in the future. Only if he fully participates there for a win, I will ever see him participate in Flanders. Otherwise not.

Yet the key points are Kwaremont and Paterberg. Cobbles.
They're key because it's uphill, not because of Cobbles (which play a factor, just not a massive one).
But he will still block on the cobblestones. Not just physically, but especially psychologically. I can only see him participating in the Nieuwsblad in the future. Only if he fully participates there for a win, I will ever see him participate in Flanders. Otherwise not.
What sort of block would he have on uphill cobbles? I would understand downhill or slippy flat passages but it's not like he's gonna crash on Paterberg.

According to Velonews (not the most reliable), Remco strongly targeting Worlds TT. Only 34kms. Any idea on the course? If flat, I do not see him beating Ganna (particularly riding the new Bolide).

I think it's a bit misinterpreted from some flemish interviews where he states that the Worlds TT title is a very big goal for him after now having won the Belgian TT and Euro TT titles. He doesn't necessarily mean the Worlds TT this year though, just that he wants to win it during his career. It's probably going to be a big goal for him almost every year.

Hasn't he been practising that particularly climb that gave him trouble in Brabantse Pijl afterwards? Thought I heard something like that somehwere. Would be interesting to see him there again next year. I think he can do more than fine on cobbled climbs if he puts his mind to it.

Hasn't he been practising that particularly climb that gave him trouble in Brabantse Pijl afterwards? Thought I heard something like that somehwere. Would be interesting to see him there again next year. I think he can do more than fine on cobbled climbs if he puts his mind to it.

Yes:

For those who remember his Brabantse Pijl and more specifically his struggling on the cobbles of the Hertstraat:

He just uploaded a Strava training ride where he said he did the Hertstraat x5 and completed it fully in the gutter. :sweatsmile:

Training on his weaknesses combined with a bit of self-mockery it seems.

Reactions: kingjr
They're key because it's uphill, not because of Cobbles (which play a factor, just not a massive one).

What sort of block would he have on uphill cobbles? I would understand downhill or slippy flat passages but it's not like he's gonna crash on Paterberg.

The Kwaremont is really not that steep though. The hard thing about it really is the cobbles, not the fact that it's a hill.

Anyway I could see him winning it, but it will have to be in Gilbert style. No way he'll drop the likes of VDP on the cobbled climbs.

Jun 22, 2022
Visit site
Are you sure that Ganna i THAT good on technical and hilly TT routes? (Because, of course, he is very good on every kind of parcour)
I expect that it would suit better to more explosive and compact riders like Roglic.

Are you sure that Ganna i THAT good on technical and hilly TT routes? (Because, of course, he is very good on every kind of parcour)
I expect that it would suit better to more explosive and compact riders like Roglic.
It has one "climb" they have to do twice. Judging by the profile it's something like 700 meters of 6.5%. Not problematic for Ganna.

It looks like another poor WCC ITT just looking at the profile and distance. But let's hope there's more to it. Maybe this one could suit Van Aert if he were going.

2022_UCI-WORLD-CHAMPIONSHIPS-WOLLONGONG_AUS-MEN-ELITE-FULL.jpg

Roglic is too weak from a w/cda perspective to be competitive on a course as flat as that.

For example, per KM it has ~60% the elevation gain of the Imola route. Overall, w/kg will probably be similarly or slightly more important at Wollongong because of the accelerations, but I think often people don't realize quite how weak (relatively) hilly TT guys like Roglic are compared to a Ganna and WVA level rider on the flat. Was demonstrated quite nicely at the Olympics where Roglic while drafting Asgreen (probably to an amount that was punishable if the commissars wanted to) was only just about level with him on the flat, and was losing ground on the descents and false flat areas. Even though overall Roglic absolutely destroyed Asgreen.

Ganna has of course also shown that he can corner exceptionally well on a TT bike, so a route having technical sections isn't exactly a negative.

I'd agree his lack of skill is partly psychological but that's due to serious lack of coaching. It takes some riders awhile to figure out how to adjust gearing and tempo to maintain momentum. It can be counter-intuitive to try to accelerate in a bigger gear to get a better vibration response and less disruption of rhythm. I've used Quintana as an example of a lighter rider that seems to always adjust to aggressive situations like cobbles, crosswinds and tight riding. It can be done and Remco could do it if he valued that sort of race. Again, Hinault did not like rough races for the most part.