• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 430 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
so was it also van wilder who attacked the downhill so aggressively?

the commentators seemed to think it was remco though they also were kind of "general" in their commentary.

i kinda hope it was not remco on the downhill and that he had taken a strict tactic not to put his nose in the wind at all today...

I´m pretty sure it was Remco who was in front on the descent and Ilan that advanced quite hard on the right side on the tv pictures at the start of the final climb.

From his interview with Sporza:

Remco Evenepoel summed up the 4th day of the Vuelta. "I didn't lose a second. Or at least: bonuses, but that's the fate of a big round."
"I don't attach too much importance to it. I would also have preferred bonuses, but you can't want everything in life. The most important thing is that I didn't lose extra seconds."
"It was a kilometer uphill: intensive and specific. I hadn't trained for that for a long time. But I just had to keep up with it and not lose any time."
"Behind me there was also a hole (7"). That is the danger of such an arrival. I think the mission was accomplished."
"We wanted to win with Julian (Alaphilippe), but if you don't have the legs anymore... It was warm and the riding was fast. It was certainly not an easy day and that can weigh on the coming days. An ice bath was welcome."
In the descent after the last mountain, Evenepoel took command. "We were there after that sprint anyway and we knew it was fast and technical."
"Then you are better at the front. At the back you have to sprint and accelerate, at the front you lose less energy. I was just safe there."

tried so see remco before roglic attacked, and he isn't even in the top20 by then.

The first shot he is seen is when roglic is at the front and he is barely on screen, seems to be at the back of that group. So i think he needed to close the gap between the two groups that was their before...

remarkable he still made it 8th.. he came from behind yates and co

so was it also van wilder who attacked the downhill so aggressively?

the commentators seemed to think it was remco though they also were kind of "general" in their commentary.

i kinda hope it was not remco on the downhill and that he had taken a strict tactic not to put his nose in the wind at all today...
You could see the plate on his bike with number 134. It's possible at the beginning of the descent it was Van Wilder and Evenepoel took over, but i don't think so.

Reactions: Big Doopie
tried so see remco before roglic attacked, and he isn't even in the top20 by then.

The first shot he is seen is when roglic is at the front and he is barely on screen, seems to be at the back of that group. So i think he needed to close the gap between the two groups that was their before...

remarkable he still made it 8th.. he came from behind yates and co
He did a good job navigating the mess of blown riders in front of him, for sure. Looking at the finish he should have conceded some time to Primoz but the officials lumped everyone together back to Kuss.

DQS not helping Remco today I think. They tried to bet on Alaphilippe for the stage win (which was in my eyes always impossible given his recent COVID-issues just after his comeback). Van Wilder coming to the front without Evenepoel in his wheel was also a weird thing to see. If they can bring him to the front in the last 500 metres, he's certainly top-5. Nevertheless not really any harm done, but they need to tune down Alaphilippe's ambitions or Remco will be isolated too soon. Also, the best rider in the peloton Masnada was nowhere to be seen.
As you say, no harm done, but Remco was badly positioned inside the last 1k. He should have been with Van Wilder. The question is why was he not? Even if the idea was to set up Alaphilippe, Evenepoel should have been taken as close to Rogilc as possible, regardless if the idea was to set up Ala for the win (which obviously failed).

Last edited:
Remco took advice from Adam Yates on how to cool down

Fa3FtxlX0AEnAdE

I guess I am not as positive as some here about today’s performance. I am hoping it was a choice. But it was eerily similar to that giro dirt hill finish where he came from way back to finish fourth behind Bernal.

If he is in CSS shape still, tomorrow seems a perfect test.

I guess I am not as positive as some here about today’s performance. I am hoping it was a choice. But it was eerily similar to that giro dirt hill finish where he came from way back to finish fourth behind Bernal.

It's a fresh 2 minute W/kg effort, Evenepoel has never contested these against the best in the world.

Campo Felice is way different, and frankly getting 4th there wasn't even bad.

Don't see it as a major problem, he really was badly placed, and it was hard to move up in the beginning. If you see how roglic moves up.. that is not something remco will risk.

So him being back is different reason than in that Giro and even in that Giro, at that point is wasn't a problem of performance either.

edit: first time i could decently see him in one shot with Roglic.

Last edited:
Van Wilder.

Ilan has a sharper chin, straighter shoulders and usually is leaning over his handlebars like a cat ready to jump on its prey while climbing.
He has bib 137. Remco has 134.

Sometimes they have different colored shades as well, but i haven't checked that yet.
So, i checked their sunglasses, and you can easily tell them apart by looking at their shades. Ilan's currently have a thick white frame, making it look a bit like 1980's ski goggles. While Remco has either a pair of sunglasses without a frame, or a slim/dark frame.

301110721_10224935762695516_3939420140166527850_n.jpg

Reactions: Prim
So, i checked their sunglasses, and you can easily tell them apart by looking at their shades. Ilan's currently have a thick white frame, making it look a bit like 1980's ski goggles. While Remco has either a pair of sunglasses without a frame, or a slim/dark frame.

301110721_10224935762695516_3939420140166527850_n.jpg

So if at one point in the race they switch glasses, Remco might get away @ km 0 and only at the end of the stage the competitors will be informed it was Remco in the attack and not Van Wilder... smart!!

Reactions: Prim
So if at one point in the race they switch glasses, Remco might get away @ km 0 and only at the end of the stage the competitors will be informed it was Remco in the attack and not Van Wilder... smart!!

It´s almost crazy how alike they look. I remember the TT in TdS when van Wilder crashed. I was watching without sound and was convinced that it was Remco that had gone down, even to the point that when he was in the lead at the intermediate time check I thought he had recovered from the crash and would have had an even bigger lead if it hadn´t happened :D

TRENDING THREADS