• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 530 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
The antipathy against Van Aert on this forum is ludicrous.
To be honest he has rubbed me the wrong way for hubris and a superiority complex. It's not that one with great talent should be humble, but there is a more unassuming ways to carry yourself that I appreciate more. For example, MvdP does not give me Wout's impression, and Van Aert's dismissively categorical responses to the unpleasant, although unavoidably legitimate questions, like at last Tour doesn't earn him any sympathy in my books. They remind me of a certain other unmentionable, albiet on a diminished scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvarani
Possibly as so few people have ever done the Vuelta for GC and been able to go on and contend at Lombardia in the last 15 years or so
That's simply not true? Most of the dominant Italian fall seasons are off the back of Vuelta participations. Between 2012 and 2018 all Lombardia winners raced the Vuelta. Yes, Pogacar is an outlier, but he's Pogacar and he only really wakes up for Lombardia. Enric Mas meanwhile suddenly turned into a 1 day racer off the back of the Vuelta, and even Landa went from anonymous Vuelta to Lombardia podium with basically nothing in between. Being good in Lombardia is actually harder if you don't race the Vuelta.

I also really doubt Lombardia would take any sort of priority in planning Evenepoels season. I think they just decided first and foremost he would only race 1 GT, picked the Giro, and then filled the rest of the season.

The one thing about Pogacar and Evenepoel will be that they won't be pressed that easily into doing 2 GTs a season to save their season or whatever.

That's simply not true? Most of the dominant Italian fall seasons are off the back of Vuelta participations. Between 2012 and 2018 all Lombardia winners raced the Vuelta. Yes, Pogacar is an outlier, but he's Pogacar and he only really wakes up for Lombardia. Enric Mas meanwhile suddenly turned into a 1 day racer off the back of the Vuelta, and even Landa went from anonymous Vuelta to Lombardia podium with basically nothing in between. Being good in Lombardia is actually harder if you don't race the Vuelta.

I also really doubt Lombardia would take any sort of priority in planning Evenepoels season. I think they just decided first and foremost he would only race 1 GT, picked the Giro, and then filled the rest of the season.

The one thing about Pogacar and Evenepoel will be that they won't be pressed that easily into doing 2 GTs a season to save their season or whatever.
I had in mind winners as I can’t think of a Vuelta winner that went on to win Lombardia in the 21st century. When you go past top spot certainly several riders have carried the form with Enric Mas this year being a perfect example.

I guess it’s a big difference for Pogacar and Evenepoel as if they are forced out early in Giro or Tour their skillset translates to being able to win a lot of big one day races in the back half of the season whereas for Contador/Froome recalibrating for the Vuelta was the only realistic major option.

I had in mind winners as I can’t think of a Vuelta winner that went on to win Lombardia in the 21st century. When you go past top spot certainly several riders have carried the form with Enric Mas this year being a perfect example.

I guess it’s a big difference for Pogacar and Evenepoel as if they are forced out early in Giro or Tour their skillset translates to being able to win a lot of big one day races in the back half of the season whereas for Contador/Froome recalibrating for the Vuelta was the only realistic major option.
I think this goes much more for the spring season, with Pogacar riding Vlaanderen and Sanremo instead of thinking about Giro/Tour stuff.

For the 2nd half the season it doesn't make that much sense to me, unless Pog really thought he had a good shot at this World Champs it that just wasn't it. I also think Pogacar just wasn't that motivated to race a 2nd GT.

Reactions: hayneplane
I think this goes much more for the spring season, with Pogacar riding Vlaanderen and Sanremo instead of thinking about Giro/Tour stuff.

For the 2nd half the season it doesn't make that much sense to me, unless Pog really thought he had a good shot at this World Champs it that just wasn't it. I also think Pogacar just wasn't that motivated to race a 2nd GT.

Feel like Pog has not targeted the WC at all so far in his career. There has not been a route that suits him and he has ridden in support of others or used it as preparation, looking to peak for Lombardia and it has worked.

Feel like Pog has not targeted the WC at all so far in his career. There has not been a route that suits him and he has ridden in support of others or used it as preparation, looking to peak for Lombardia and it has worked.

huh...?

he literally targeted it this year.

montreal win just before and he certainly wasn't riding for someone else, unless it was remco. lol.

he got beat. had bad legs on the day. but don't tell me he traveled halfway around the world (just after beating the WC favorite at Montreal) simply so as not to try.

pog is a great rider. but just like everyone else. he gets beat.

huh...?

montreal win just before and he certainly wasn't riding for someone else, unless it was remco. lol.

he got beat. had bad legs on the day. but don't tell me he traveled halfway around the world (just after beating the WC favorite at Montreal) simply so as not to try.

Sure, you are right.

Reactions: Big Doopie
huh...?

Indeed, he even rode in the front after Mount Keira when they were away with a small group. He clearly wanted to go for it, race and win.

Reactions: red_flanders
“Whether organizer RCS pays a high appearance fee? I wish. You hear stories of Chris Froome getting a million to ride the Giro, but I don't believe that. ASO pays nothing anyway, but RCS doesn't pay huge fees either. The compensation is mainly in accommodation: extra hotel beds during the Giro or accommodation to bridge the periods between two RCS races in Italy.”

This is surprising, if true. I'm not convinced it is ...as it benefits RCS if they keep the $$$ total under wraps. It could be a plus for the team also. It fits the "it's all part of the plan" rhetoric better if there's no big paycheck involved.

Just a couple months ago Lefevere alluded to RCS handing out big appearance fees. He certainly seemed to believe these "stories" then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
This is surprising, if true. I'm not convinced it is ...as it benefits RCS if they keep the $$$ total under wraps. It could be a plus for the team also. It fits the "it's all part of the plan" rhetoric better if there's no big paycheck involved.

Just a couple months ago Lefevere alluded to RCS handing out big appearance fees. He certainly seemed to believe these "stories" then.
If it fits the "part of the plan" rhetoric, then why would he have insinuated there were going to be big fees? As i remember it, he never said that. I thought he said something along the lines of "we'll have to have a talk with RCS about that".

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
If it fits the "part of the plan" rhetoric, then why would he have insinuated there were going to be big fees? As i remember it, he never said that. I thought he said something along the lines of "we'll have to have a talk with RCS about that".

My bad, I didn't recall correctly. Just listened to the podcast again and it was the interviewer who made the claim about RCS' big appearance fees, not Lefevere. Although it was stated as a fact.

Lefevere seemed quite giddy, though, but indeed didn't confirm or deny.

Last edited:

Pogi had a tough personal year and still finished a solid second in the Tour. Most other competitors wouldn't have come close to that level so I'd take that as an outlier. He also didn't spend much time whining about how tough it all was.

I think you are overestimating how much the death of a mother in law impacts on a man.
There is no way to know that. Maybe the personal impact on him was negligible, but maybe it was immense on his wife/GF's mental state or time schedule so that it affected him substantially by proxy. I doubt any of us know the exact circumstances or personal connection their family has. Some athletes are really specific about their training routines etc, that a minor obstacle in their schedule can throw them off. I don't think that's the reason why he lost the TDF, but you can't rule out that it was a factor.

TRENDING THREADS