• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 540 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Computational photography. A typical smartphone has a tiny lens, so a lot of processing is done in software to create a decent image in difficult lighting conditions. Add to that some post-processing done by the user and you get this.

whatever the reason, it really does not matter, right?

who cares if they even did a collage of separate individual pics?

however we have added at least another dozen posts to this thread during the off-season. So keep it coming everyone. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
They should respect remco's decision. Maybe he doesn't feel confident that he can beat those two at the tour after being at the same level of Mas in the mountains, at la vuelta.
Remco wants to have a very diverse track record. He wants to win multiple monuments, classics, WC (TT's), and all GT's. Since he wants to win all GT's why not race the Giro this year since it's tailored for him, and it also fits perfectly with his growth trajectory?

Just so he can race the Tour with a team that's not good enough in the mountains to support him? Not to mention I'm not so sure he's able to win a Tour already. The Vuelta was impressive, but TDF against Vingegaard and Pogacar is something completely different.

He gets to pick five of his teammates. The other two will be picked by the team.
I'm guessing Van Wilder, Serry, Hirt, Masnada, Vervaeke. The extra two could be guys like Cerny, Cavagna, Ballerini, Steimle, De Clerq, Asgreen, Lampaert...

I assume they'll be going to the TDF for stages, so it would make sense to keep guys like Alaphilippe, Schmid and Bagioli for that squad. Personally i'd also take Cattaneo instead of Vervaeke to the Giro. But i'm thinking Evenepoel has a better connection with Vervaeke.

wonder if he picks Alap. He should as that may be his best climbing support
Van Wilder, Hirt and Masnada should all be equal or better mountain domestiques, as should Cattaneo. Both Van Wilder and Masnada had a rough 2022 with illness and crashes. Neither of them was in their best shape during the Vuelta. If Alaphilippe gets back to his old level, i wouldn't deprive him of leadership at the TDF, probably for the last time (if he stays at QS).

Last edited:
Remco wants to have a very diverse track record. He wants to win multiple monuments, classics, WC (TT's), and all GT's. Since he wants to win all GT's why not race the Giro this year since it's tailored for him, and it also fits perfectly with his growth trajectory?

Just so he can race the Tour with a team that's not good enough in the mountains to support him? Not to mention I'm not so sure he's able to win a Tour already. The Vuelta was impressive, but TDF against Vingegaard and Pogacar is something completely different.
This is quite well said!

Reactions: Berniece
Van aert's most commendable event of the year (in Dutch sorry):

Welke (inter)nationale gebeurtenis of trend vond u het meest lovenswaardig?

(blaast) “Oei, een moeilijke. Dan kies ik toch voor de bloei van het Belgische wielrennen. En niet omdat ik er zelf deel van uitmaak, maar vooral door wat Remco Evenepoel dit jaar gepresteerd heeft. De Vuelta winnen, na drie weken op hoog niveau: straf. Vervolgens ook nog eens wereldkampioen worden: héél straf. Vooral omdat ik erbij was toen hij na de Vuelta in Australië aankwam. Hij zag er ongelooflijk moe uit. Ik gaf hem toen heel weinig kans op die wereldtitel. Maar hij heeft zich daar dan wonderwel van hersteld. Voor mij is Remco een van dé figuren van het jaar.”

TRENDING THREADS