• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 552 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
If I were following ScarJo or any other celebrity around, I'd at least have the courtesy to not film it/put it online. I once saw a well-known Danish handball player at a public pool, but I saw no reason for me to take pictures of his behind (granted, I would probably also have been expelled if I had tried).

I once saw Lasse Norman mixing some candy before going into the movie theatre. Didn't film that, either.

I don't see what Remco did that was so unbecoming. He didn't yell and curse at the guy, but just said "go away." The guy was on his wheel too long and clearly bothering him, which I can understand, because, on a climb, when one is training alone, one doesn't like someone sitting on one's wheel, period. Let alone the World Champion, who is following a rigorous schedule, and not just some Joe Shmoe out for a ride, but a highly visible public figure. Sure, the roads are public too, but you should know when to back off and not intrude. It's like Mario Cipollini once said to a rider who decided to tag along to his wheel too long during a training ride: "So, if you were at work, would you like someone uninvited coming into your office and watching you?"

I realize being a pro cyclist isn't like going to the office from 9-5, however, common sense should let amatuer cyclists know when to give pros their space while out training, unless otherwise told. And Remco allowed the guy to watch him for several minutes, before saying that's quite enough, leave me alone. I'd imagine the majority of pros would have reacted the same.
Well, I quite agree, but that man was as well working, he lives to follow pro cyclist. training

I see both sides. Common courtesy is to not follow a rider and this has to be constant for him so it’s a huge annoyance. If I ever saw a “celebrity” I’d make a point to give them their space. But, the fans are the only reason he’s able to be riding a bike for a living in the first place. They pay the bills of his sponsors and team.
Here is my take for what it's worth, years ago I and another rider were passed by Roberto Petito and a Russian pro on the road to Tolfa from Manziana. We then got hitched and went with them up towards Tolfa until they soon upped the pace on the climb to drop us (it's only a 5 km climb at 7-8 percent), clearly with intent, no words, just force of pace. Now there wasn't anyone on that road but us and, had we been able to keep up, they perhaps would have shaken our hands or told us off, who knows, but they clearly wanted to do their own thing. At any rate, it wasn't an issue. Yet, it can't be that every time a pro trains he has to deal with those that want to measure themselves against him. What if that pro has to do a recovery ride or simply wants to be alone with his own thoughts on the job? In short, a little common sense is all it takes.

From the video Remco seems to have merely wanted to do tempo up the climb, but with the guy following him, after a while, at that pace, he realised he couldn't just be left alone. So he got mildly annoyed, said leave me alone and, when the guy didn't back off, had to up the tempo to drop him, which he did with alarming ease. Of course that guy was going to die trying to keep up, but these are situations in which it's not easy for a pro to handle the moment delicately. I mean, what should Remco have said: "Look, I understand you want to ride with me, but honestly I'd just like to be left alone, so can you stop following me please?" Perhaps with, "I'll sign your jesrsey."

Besides, normally when we go out for a ride, unless with someone else or a group, we don't seek out others to join. Actually, we try to avoid others at all costs and certainly don't go with people we don't know (unless some serendipitous encounter occurs).

Last edited:
This guy did nothing wrong.
Remco did nothing wrong.
yawn.

HOWEVER...
If this is gonna be his full time job..hanging out near pro training camps and following riders to make videos/money off of their celebrity status, that becomes a problem.

Anybody know if youtube has some kind of rules about posting videos of people without their consent?
Could Remco have this removed if he asked? I assume legally this is not much different than a brand using an unauthorized image of Remco in advertising which would be clearly illegal

Reactions: Sandisfan
I once saw Jens Keukeleire in the Overpoort. Took loads of pictures and definitely harassed him.

I was drunk. Probably he was too.

We became Facebook friends the day after.
A couple of years ago I saw a documentary on Bernard Hinault. At that time he was older than 50 years, but he still enjoyed riding his bike. At a certain moment he saw a "group" of pro cyclists. Bernard Hinault decided to follow them for a certain period, but it was clear from the onset that they did not recognize Hinault and almost all of the riders were telling him to stop following them. Hinault ignored them and continued to follow them. After a while it got of out of hand. They started insulting each other whereby Hinault was the most offensive : "é môme, crétin, est-ce qu'on va comparer notre palmarès" Bernard always had a 'strong' personality. I have to say that Remco does have some elements in his way of racing that is similar to that of Hinault.

A couple of years ago I saw a documentary on Bernard Hinault. At that time he was older than 50 years, but he still enjoyed riding his bike. At a certain moment he saw a "group" of pro cyclists. Bernard Hinault decided to follow them for a certain period, but it was clear from the onset that they did not recognize Hinault and almost all of the riders were telling him to stop following them. Hinault ignored them and continued to follow them. After a while it got of out of hand. They started insulting each other whereby Hinault was the most offensive : "é môme, crétin, est-ce qu'on va comparer notre palmarès" Bernard always had a 'strong' personality. I have to say that Remco does have some elements in his way of racing that are similar to that of Hinault.
That's a glorious anecdote, but it's one thing to be Hinault, another Joe Shmoe. In the sense that Hinault had a response to their ire, which trumped their entire aparatus. And, I dare say, after the incident, those pros were asking Bernard for an autograph.

PS. That's not what became a commercial skit with actors a few years ago, was it?http://www.strettoweb.com/video-gal...t-la-passione-non-invecchia-mai/id/548346570/

Last edited:
Maybe you are right, but the road is for everybody, and he allowed Remco to train normally. If you have the legs to follow Remco I think is difficult not try. Remco should take these situations with best humour, and more when he use to attack another pros training.
So a slight wave and ask to leave him alone is...somehow weird or a problem to you? Can you imagine what it's like to be this guy on a bike with that kit on? I thought he was incredibly polite about it.

Stupid, stupid post.

If you're not courteous enough to ask any rider if you can sit on their wheel you are indeed, stupid. You will just as likely crash both of you. Remco not "courteous"? Usually a quick acceleration does the trick but, if an unwanted rider persists the phrase "f*ck off" should be a clue.
Only follow Evenepoel if you can follow Evenepoel, otherwise let it be, take a photo and give up the megalomania. I ran into Laurent Fignon on the road at Antibes in 92, past his golden days, and thought "***, that's Laurent Fignon," and the fact that I did not pursue him made all the diference. He smiled gently at my salute, and that was that. But that was back in 92, no social media, some decorum.

Last edited:
Obviously but if you're riding a bike you're doing the same activity as the pro and it's not illegal - it's even normal - to try to follow someone who rides past you. But I do understand why it's annoying, especially if it happens often (I haven't seen the video by the way).
He was following Remco and when Remco told hi to stay away he did...But he keep the pace in a hard push, holding a camera. Maybe I would have acted as Remco, but I understand that man that use to train with pros and make videos.

Most pro's would get crushed in short term single efforts by seasoned amateurs. Their advantages come from ludicrously expensive bikes and scientific aerotextiles.

Racing is a different case because they are much better at riding in the huddle and conserving energy.
200w.gif

TRENDING THREADS