• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 554 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I don't think Pogi has the ultimate edge anymore, as Vingegaard and Jumbo-Visma took that away from him, which is good for the Tour, as it creates uncertainty.
Maybe ultimate was an exaggeration. It is good that he got beat by Jonas but a more motivated, focused and team-supported Pogacar would have an edge IMO. All of this is conjecture since WVA is the only one dominating anything in men's racing at the moment. That fact may also become a compromising force on JV come Tour time.

Maybe ultimate was an exaggeration. It is good that he got beat by Jonas but a more motivated, focused and team-supported Pogacar would have an edge IMO. All of this is conjecture since WVA is the only one dominating anything in men's racing at the moment. That fact may also become a compromising force on JV come Tour time.

I think the major issue is that Pogacar wants to race for the win in every race from the spring classics up until the WC/Lombardia at the end of the season whereas Vingegaard will just focus on the TDF and will be at his 100% best shape there. I'm not sure if he can beat Vingegaard who basically ignores the rest of the season to peak for the TDF.

I think the major issue is that Pogacar wants to race for the win in every race from the spring classics up until the WC/Lombardia at the end of the season whereas Vingegaard will just focus on the TDF and will be at his 100% best shape there. I'm not sure if he can beat Vingegaard who basically ignores the rest of the season to peak for the TDF.

There is huge pressure with one main objective for Jonas to win the Tour again. He wont be the underdog this time and he wont be going in as co-leader with Roglic. "We will let the road decide". He will be the leader for JV and an equal favorite to Pog for the win. Can he handle the pressure? We will see. Like you said he also has to be in 100% peak shape and be as good again, which could also be a challenge, even though I dont doubt that he will be.

Pog is a racer and has always said the GTs are not the end all be all for him. He of course wants to win but has other races to fall back on and from the outside he looks/sounds more relaxed about things. His palmares is already the stuff of legends.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Stage 2 in San Juan won by Jackobson. Remco 10 seconds out. As I was watching highlights the stage looke crazy...I mean there are no indicators on the road so the announcers have no idea where the finish line is.
And a fair amount of fans in the road...that always ends well. If you're Remco's DS, how would you strategize to avoid calamity? Ride in the middle of the field?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
So, since we're still waiting for Logic's return, I'll fill in a gap here.

Remco is turning 23 today. Two days ago, Het Nieuwsblad had an article with 7 important people talking about his evolution. I Google translated it and refined it here and there. Some are really interesting, like Pelgrim and Keisse for instance.

From fickle teenager to world champion: these seven mentors saw Remco Evenepoel become a world champion in four years

Four years ago, Remco Evenepoel made his professional debut in the Tour of San Juan at the age of 19. In 2023, on the same ground, he kicks off his season as world champion. The level of performance increased over the years. But in addition to the triumphs in Liège and the Vuelta, there was also that terrible crash in Lombardy and the disappointment of the 2021 Giro. Seven people, who have always been close to him in recent years, paint a picture of how they saw the fickle teenager turn into one of the class acts of the peloton at lightning speed.

Patrick Evenepoel, father: "We learn more from him now than the other way around"
"You notice he has got more in control and is a lot less stressed out. At first, he thought he could handle it all and kind of shut himself off. Which is not so strange. His mother and I are both self-employed, so as a child he had to think for himself rather soon. Fortunately, with Iljo Keisse and Philippe Gilbert, he immediately got the right people around him who showed him that he cannot do it alone. As a result, his respect for the other people in the team has grown rapidly and he is now showing it much better. He will always have his character and it will certainly clash here and there, but in the meantime we actually learn more from him than the other way around."

Koen Pelgrim, trainer: "His explosiveness has increased enormously"
"Remco now knows much better what he can do and what he should not do. In his first year as a pro he always did more in training than we told him to, because he was never completely satisfied. Today he hardly deviates from his training schedule. He can now also drop his weight in a steady way, before he used to do that quite often by training very hard and limiting his intake of food extremely. It goes without saying that his numbers have improved. His wattage per kilo, his absolute power, efforts of one minute, twenty minutes, after a four-hour race… Perhaps he made the most progress in explosiveness. That was really almost zero in the first year, now he has developed a nice kick and he can also win a sprint against a not too large group. That was impossible four years ago."

Teammate/DS Iljo Keisse: "Ten years more mature than his peers"
"We are talking about a completely different rider today than at the start of his carreer. The boy has become a man. Remco had to take very big steps very quickly. He was already quite mature for someone barely 19 years old, but now he is ten years ahead of all his peers in that area. He was very nervous early on. In the 2019 Tour of San Juan, he absolutely wanted to show what he was capable of, show that he could do more than just follow in a professional peloton."

"The urge to prove he already had then is still there, but he deals with it completely differently. He has also come to realize that cycling is an individual sport, but you approach it as a team. In that sense, he has quickly become a good people manager. Even a leader has to compromise now and then and he has understood that. That way he got everyone on the same page within the team."

Press secretary Phil Lowe: "He no longer puts energy into useless things"
"I remember the UAE Tour right after that first Tour of San Juan. He immediately crashed and had to give up. I tried to protect him and kept him away from the press, told him not to say anything about it. Moments later, he lost his cool on Twitter. (laughs) Of course you say stupid things when you're nineteen. Who doesn't? I still can."

"He has now become much more comfortable with the press. He would like you to think with him beforehand about what he wants to say and how he best phrases it, but everything else goes very naturally. Discipline and determination are Remco's greatest assets. He knows perfectly well what he wants. Many people are looking for that today, but Remco is now only concerned with where he wants to go and no longer puts energy into useless things."

DS Davide Bramati: "He will only get better"
"When we first came here with Remco, he was of course still very young, but everyone already realized that it wouldn't be a problem for him to take the step to pro cycling. He crashed in the first stage. It was a matter of waiting to see how he would react to that, but he didn't lose his moral. In his participation in 2020 he was too far behind on the Alto Colorado, but he hit back very hard and even became the overall winner. He already showed signs of intelligence and professionalism that you did not see with his peers. Today he is still very young and still has a great future ahead of him. The experience he already has in his pocket is extremely important. He's only going to get better."

Mecanic Dirk Tyteca: "Just like other greats, he doesn't change a thing on his bike"
"Remco looks at everything. He discusses what can be done more aerodynamically or lighter with Nicolas Coosemans. Remco has always remained Remco towards us. If something is not right, he brings it up in a human way. A super guy to work with. Apart from thegear, we never really have to adjust the settings on his bike. That is something typical for the really great riders. They realize that those things aren't the reason, where other riders start fiddling with their bikes when things go a bit less. Even if it is not necessary at all, he occasionally gives us a present and treats us to dinner. After the Vuelta and the World Cup, we all received a signed red jersey and rainbow jersey, with a personal thank you for everyone. His playfulness will always remain a bit, but that's also nice, that's how he keeps us young, even though he already calls me uncle." (laughs)

Soigneur David Geeroms: "We now talk more about Anderlecht than about the course"
“In those four years, Remco has grown into an adult. The impulsivity and stress has gone and inner peace has taken its place. However, his ambition has not changed. He still always wants to win. Since his victory in Liège, he is much more relaxed and a bit more calculated. In terms of care, his diet did undergo an evolution. He doesn't ask for anything specific in terms of massages or anything, but he always wants a good chat. We talk less and less about the races. In the last few days, football club Anderlecht was always on the agenda. We are both fans, but as an ex-player it really hurts him what is happening there.”

Two Belgian Youtubers spending the day with Remco.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaDC5iLfwEE
Avg Rob and his brother have a really nice channel. Fun video with MVDP in the past too. Went viral a couple of years ago with famous pictures he photoshopped himself into.

C2J0g0sWIAUb0Nj.jpg:large

DL9JfOtXcAE-kpp.jpg

zidane-maradona-pele-average-rob.jpg

30589880_159807248019128_7576336822838493184_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Didinho
Big Remco fan here, I don't know what to think of today's result... I did not watch the race, I just watched the results and time gaps. Should we be worried ?
I can cope with all the Colombians climbing better than him at high altitude, especially at this time of the season; but what about Ganna !?

Nothing to be worried about. He said that he actually felt good but blew himself up in that early attack at 10km from finish. He suffered for 2-3 km before he could regain a speed that would match that of the lead group, so close to that of Ganna. Ganna is always performing great here at those long and shallow climbs and seems to be in good form too. Remco said that he better waited for the final km to make a move. However, as he felt good I understand that he didn't want to go to the finish with a big group as this is basically the stage that leads to the GC title. He gambled and lost. Lopez on the other hand was really great today and definitely wanted to make a statement here. He is in great form.

Oof Evenepoel not looking good there. I fear he might have had to many obligations this winter due to being world champion.
Pretty bad he has not looked like this in early season in previous years.
Perhaps 2000m altitude is just his limit.

Or he rode stupidly like he said. Very hard to go 10km from the finish on a large peloton, on a very shallow climb

TRENDING THREADS