• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 556 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
If we had power data, we could evaluate this better but from what I have seen, Remco was clearly going all out in that attack and distancing himself quickly from the group. It was just too fast, too furious. He probably knows (and remembers from last season) that if he is in top shape he can keep up his pace after the acceleration. So shape has something to do with it. On the other hand, if he had just followed the group, the data will likely tell him that he would have matched Bernal and co. He was not "dropped as a stone". He could regain his power after suffering for a few km. So in the end it was a combination of bad tactics and lacking top shape but definitely interesting data for the team to work with in preparation of the Giro.
No, he was dropped like a stone, just after he unwisely put in an effort he could not maintain or recover sufficiently from, but nobody forced him to do that. On the other hand, I agree the data will be good to work from.

Alto del Colorado is the weirdest climb of the year:
First race of the season for almost all european riders
Riding on austral summer, as opposed to the winter season in Europe with little time for adaptation.
Shallow climb, more of a constant uphill drag rather than a proper climb except for a couple of kms.
Extremely high altitude (similar to Stelvio) and very exposed to wind.

In proper conditions, it's true Evenepoel should fancy this climb, but taking everything into account, I wouldn't read too much about this performance.
Ganna was in the same situation, but paced his effort better and, at his weight, surely is in fine form. It will be interesting to see how he goes in the classics and Giro (for the TTs).

Ganna was in the same situation, but paced his effort better and, at his weight, surely is in fine form. It will be interesting to see how he goes in the classics and Giro (for the TTs).
Ganna is in fine form at the moment. I assume he wants to grab gold medals at the EC track in two weeks and be in top form at the classics (PR in particular).

Not as good as he started last season in Valenciana and Algarve.

Dont think you can draw any conclusions.

He is peaking for L-B-L and Giro. He should be starting like this and build slowly during the spring. Bit disappointing that he is not fighting for the win in races all year round though.

Reactions: jmdirt
Oof Evenepoel not looking good there. I fear he might have had to many obligations this winter due to being world champion.
Pretty bad he has not looked like this in early season in previous years.
Perhaps 2000m altitude is just his limit.
He looked like this last year, very uneven in early stage races. I would draw zero conclusions about his abilities from this.

Ganna is in fine form at the moment. I assume he wants to grab gold medals at the EC track in two weeks and be in top form at the classics (PR in particular).

Ganna's form seems to be a little bit of an accident rather than planning to be in form for EC's on the track. He took an extra long off-season and is roughly a week of training (32 hours) behind this point last season. Maybe mental freshness has helped.

Ganna's form seems to be a little bit of an accident rather than planning to be in form for EC's on the track. He took an extra long off-season and is roughly a week of training (32 hours) behind this point last season. Maybe mental freshness has helped.
Nice article, nice photos. It's funny how pros after 3 weeks on vacation can't look at themselves in the mirror, because "too fat." It's a sickness.

...of course, all Remco had to do was wait it out and not attack with 9.7 kilometers to go. If he waits it out and goes to the last kilometers with the leaders (or leader) then Bernal, Ganna, Higuita and all the rest would have ended up behind Remco. Superman would take the sprint anyway and Remco sits in first in overall. But that's life. Nothing to worry about...January is coming back for everybody.

...of course, all Remco had to do was wait it out and not attack with 9.7 kilometers to go. If he waits it out and goes to the last kilometers with the leaders (or leader) then Bernal, Ganna, Higuita and all the rest would have ended up behind Remco. Superman would take the sprint anyway and Remco sits in first in overall. But that's life. Nothing to worry about...January is coming back for everybody.
I'm not convinced on those grades that, had he waited it out, having lost 1"09' to MAL in the end, he would have stayed with Superman. The wasted effort would have cost him 30-40 secs. not more, in which case he's either with Ganna or Bernal.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbtqdugeyog&t=4s

Remco is a great rider. It is a best with a hugh potential, but he has to control his nervous to be a real champion.

He did the same with me a week ago when I keep his wheel during an aceleration. "Please man, stop", he told me... I know it not nice to have someone to your wheel to concentrate...for me was funny, but not good for him show that behaviour.

I dont have video as this man has, sorry.:coldsweat:

Video from the same guy, but on Pogacar's wheel instead

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yLvcakGUgA

TRENDING THREADS