• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 557 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
You said that without his attack at 10km before the finish he would have arrived with Bernal or ganna. What’s wrong with that in a January on a climb of 4% above 2500m?
I said possibly. Had he arrived with Bernal or Ganna, it would have certainly looked better then trying to drop them first, to then get dropped by them, when clearly he wanted the stage and the GC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I said possibly. Had arrived with Bernal or Ganna, it would have certainly looked better then trying to drop them first, to then get dropped by them, when clearly he wanted the stage and the GC.
Of course it would've been better if he destroyed them all by going solo at 10km, but c'est la vie. This was Vuelta a San Juan, this isn't a big race, no one cares. He tried something and failed, he learned from it, called himself dumb, and we'll see what the next months bring.

Of course it would've been better if he destroyed them all by going solo at 10km, but c'est la vie. This was Vuelta a San Juan, this isn't a big race, no one cares. He tried something and failed, he learned from it, called himself dumb, and we'll see what the next months bring.
Don't get me wrong, if I'm being critical it's because I don't want to see him like this in the upcoming races. I'd like to see a good showing against Pogacar at UAE Tour, for example, because cycling isn't just July. Big battles between the Bigs are great to drive interest. I wish he were doing Strade Bianche, because it's such a beautiful race, even though I know that won't happen. He evidently would still have problems with high speed descending on the dirt roads of Tuscany, unlike Alaphilippe.

Reactions: Berniece
Best Argentinian rider in decades

Fnt0MBMWAAMqIB9

• Haha
Reactions: BR2 and Sandisfan
Well if there's nothing new to discuss around here, then let's bring up the old controversy over whether Remco should do the Tour this year or delay his debut until 2024.

In my opinion, Velo News journo Andrew Hood's analysis is highly persuasive and makes a good case for Evenepoel riding the Tour this year. In a nutshell Remco should go to the Tour after the Giro, whether he wins the maglia rosa or not. He should go in the rainbow jersey and "swing for the fence" to make history. The reasons are several, starting with if he does the Tour after the Giro now, he will have less pressure to go for yellow than going to the Tour in 2024 as the major goal of the season; all the more should he win the up-coming Giro. In a sense, Remco could justifiably use a hypothetical ride at the next Tour following the Giro as experience, to then tackle the Grand Bouclé for victory in 2024.

As Hood argues, Evenepoel's future lies at the Tour. So putting off a confrontation with Pogacar and Vingegaard till 2024 makes no difference to the grand scheme. One can counter, of course, by pointing out that in 2024 at 25 Remco will be stronger and more "ready," but it's likely going to be the same for the other two. Moreover, delaying his Tour debut another year shall come with even more pressure on the occasion, to the point of perhaps even boiling over. By contrast if he goes to France this year, he can legitimately say he rides just to learn, to experience the hugeness of the event, without pressure for a high GC result.

Sure, the Belgian press would still heap upon him tons of pressure with tremendous expectations anyway, but at least he can get a first taste of that without having internal pressure from the team as well. Whereas he will face external media and internal team pressure at once, without any previous experience of the race, should he go to the Tour for the first time in 2024. And given the pifalls and unpredictability of the sport, the best laid plans of mice and men rarely come to fruition, so it's better to strike whilst the iron is hot.

I think there is much to be said for Hood's assessment of the issues and problematics, also because, as he suggests, a debut at 25 is still young, but you never know if an another phenomenon will arrive to stun the sport. It's thus better to start sooner than later in France during July.

I consequently can't see how Remco doing the Tour after the Giro this year can hurt him. To the contrary, I can't see how it would not benefit his future at the race; bearing in mind what a certain Roglic has recently said: "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." On the other hand, it's also possible that going to the Tour this year after the Giro, would result in a similarly botched effort as going to the Giro in 2021 before he was ready. I imagine, however, that the Remco after this Giro will be very different than the one at the start of the 2021 Giro.

In conclusion, I guess it should depend on how Evenepoel feels, both physically and mentally, whether or not he adds the Tour to his program. Although if he feels good, is happy and care free, and motivated, then why not (without any team pressure and in the spirit of adventure mind you)?

The Velo News article: https://www.velonews.com/news/road/...talia-the-right-call-or-a-missed-opportunity/

Last edited:
At altitude, where? Isn't it too cold for that in Andora now? Any news or updates as to his condition before the UAE Tour. He won't want the get dropped like on the Alto de Colorado again.
I have no clue where in Europe you can train on altitude. If that isn't possible now due to snow, he's probably just training in Calpe.

Well if there's nothing new to discuss around here, then let's bring up the old controversy over whether Remco should do the Tour this year or delay his debut until 2024.

In my opinion, Velo News journo Andrew Hood's analysis is highly persuasive and makes a good case for Evenepoel riding the Tour this year. In a nutshell Remco should go to the Tour after the Giro, whether he wins the maglia rosa or not, in the rainbow jersey and "swing for the fence" to make history. The reasons being that if he does the Tour this year after the Giro he will have less pressure upon his shoulders to take the yellow jersey, than going to the Tour in 2024 as the major goal of the season. Even more so should he win the up-coming Giro. In a sense, Remco could hence justifiably use a hypothetical ride at the next Tour following the Giro as experience, to then tackle the Grand Bouclé for victory in 2024.

As Hood argues, Evenepoel's future lies at the Tour. So putting off a confrontation with Pogacar and Vingegaard till 2024 makes no difference to the grand scheme. One can counter, of course, by pointing out that in 2024 at 25 Remco will be stronger and more "ready," but it's likely going to be the same for the other two; whereas delaying his Tour debut another year shall come with even more pressure on the occasion, to the point of perhaps even boiling over. By contrast if he goes to France this year, he can legitimately say he rides just to learn, to experience the hugeness of the event, without pressure for a high GC result. Sure, the Belgian press would still heap upon him tons of pressure with tremendous expectations anyway, but at least he can get a first taste of that without having internal pressure from the team as well. Whereas he will face external media and internal team pressure at once, without any previous experience of the race, should he go to the Tour for the first time in 2024.

I think there is much to be said for Hood's assessment of the issues and problematics, also because, as he suggests, a debut at 25 is still young, but you never know if an another phenomenon will arrive to stun the sport. It's thus better to start sooner than later in France during July.

I consequently can't see how Remco doing the Tour after the Giro this year can hurt him. To the contrary, I can't see how it would not benefit his future at the race; bearing in mind what a certain Roglic has recently said: "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." On the other hand, it's also possible that going to the Tour this year after the Giro, would result in a similarly botched effort as going to the Giro in 2021, before he was ready. I suppose, however, that the Remco after this Giro will be very different than the one at the start of the 2021 Giro. In conclusion, I Guess it should depend on how Evenepoel feels, both physically and mentally, whether or not he adds the Tour to his program. Although if he feels good and care free why not?

The Velo News article: https://www.velonews.com/news/road/...talia-the-right-call-or-a-missed-opportunity/
The article doesn’t take other goals of the season into account. If he rides the giro at 100% effort, then also has to do the Tour which starts earlier this year, he will blow up, and won't be ready for the WC, which is a huge goal for him because he wants to win the TT. Not to mention he might feel so *** afterwards the rest of the season is in danger.

Remco will do the TdF. It makes a lot of sense. It might explain his light pre-Giro program this spring. I assume they will communicate it after the Giro. Results and his own goal will define what ambition he will have for the TdF and what team should support him. If SQ is completely focussed on him, today and in the future, this exactly what will happen. He cannot skip the TdF this year, especially not if he wants to go for the GC in 2024. He needs the experience.

Reactions: Extinction
It is a mistake to do 2 GTs at this time. Hindley did it and he was not even competitive. No person has won the Giro tour since 1998. The closest was Froome 1st and 3rd. To keep a tight control on nutrition, training, rest for 6 months is near impossible and may lead to burnout. Also this TDF is limited in TTs. and the team lacks sufficient climbers that can support him in both GTs

It is a mistake to do 2 GTs at this time. Hindley did it and he was not even competitive. No person has won the Giro tour since 1998. The closest was Froome 1st and 3rd. To keep a tight control on nutrition, training, rest for 6 months is near impossible and may lead to burnout. Also this TDF is limited in TTs. and the team lacks sufficient climbers that can support him in both GTs

Yes, Hindley is such a good comparison considering his usual very high level throughout the season...

Well, between Barloworld and Israel, we have seen the true worth of Froome, whose career showed no promise in the beginning and comes full circle in the end. So I don't think he and Evenepoel are comparable. At any rate, Evenepoel doesn't have to win the Tour this year, but might well get a taste of it. He doesn't have to equal 98 Pantani, but could just get started, because he will be up against Pog and Vingo for years to come.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS