• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 560 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
His schedule is ok if the giro is a preparation for the TdF ;) PL takes the start fee of the giro and pleases his sponsors to put Remco in the Tour. It could be the game plan if Remco has a bad day, which is not unrealistic given that it is still relatively early season (not his best part of the year) and Remco did show weakness in cold weather climbs the previous years. In reality, it's all about the TdF. Mark my words. :p

Boring might be a nice way to avoid inflated press attention, too. The New Champ needs some space to actually train and race; not be trotted out for every race. The Giro is a tough race.
Frankly I don't think bringing him to a suitably challenging stage race like PN or TA, in the preparatory phase of building up to the Giro, is being "trotted out," rather it's just a champion's schedule and ideal for his GT ambitions with it. Plus it's generous and great to the fans as well. Some of the best racing over the last dozen or so years was in races like PN (Contador's 2007 and 2010 triumphs and 2009 collapse) and TA where Contador, Froome and Nibali battled it out royally in 2013. Contador's 2014 exposition at TA was memorable. Idem for Pogacar's show of force in last year's edition. Bring it on!

Last edited:
PODCAST | "Maybe Tadej Pogacar is afraid of a confrontation with Remco Evenepoel"

PODCAST | "Maybe Tadej Pogacar is afraid of a confrontation with Remco Evenepoel"
It's all a mind game. Tadej and UAE are f-ing with Remco to try and leave him with doubts about how he measures up. It's classic dissimulation technique. And it has forced Evenepoel into a useless Middle East voyage. It's actually quite brillant.

Last edited:
It's all a mind game. Tadej and UAE are f-ing with Remco to try and leave him with doubts about how he measures up. It's classic disimulation technique. And it has forces Evenepoel into a useless Middle East voyage. It's actually quite brillant.
It's great to speculate but imaginary "mind game" and false schedules don't seem like the plausible conspiracy theory of today....sorry.
What's next? Random phone calls in the team hotel waking up Remco at all hours of the night? "Remco. Is your refrigerator running? Better go get it!"
Remco would get the biggest laugh out of this.

Frankly I don't think bringing him to a suitably challenging stage race like PN or TA, in the preparatory phase of building up to the Giro, is being "trotted out," rather it's just a champion's schedule and ideal for his GT ambitions with it. Plus its generous and great to the fans as well. Some of the best racing over the last dozen or so years was in races like PN (Contador's 2007 and 2010 triumphs and 2009 collapse) and TA where Contador, Froome and Nibali battled it out royally in 2013. Contador's 2014 exposition at TA was memorable. Idem for Pogacar's show of force in last year's edition. Bring it on!
I totally agree. That's why I suggested a lower pressure avenue to allow proper training is a good strategy. Throwing a WC into early season races with overamped riders looking for any result is a risky crash-prone situation. Have you ever done early season crits? Everyone thinks they can win and carnage follows.

Reactions: Extinction
It's great to speculate but imaginary "mind game" and false schedules don't seem like the plausible conspiracy theory of today....sorry.
What's next? Random phone calls in the team hotel waking up Remco at aou fll hours of the night? "Remco. Is your refrigerator running? Better go get it!"
Remco would get the biggest laugh out of this.
I, of course, made that up, but you sir come up with a better explanation! Although I would not put false schedules behind any of them. In fact, I'd hardly believe the "official reasons." It's like politics, you only get what most want to hear.

Last edited:
Uh…that doesn’t seem to comport with the Pog I see and hear from. I call bull ***.

Reactions: BR2 and Sandisfan
I, of course, made that up, but you sir come up with a better explanation! Although I would not put false schedules behind any of them. In fact, I'd hardly believe the "official reasons." It's like politics, you only get what most want to hear.
Pogacar has won the TdF and other nice races. He has an idea how to prepare and, if his own personal program suggests he doesn't want to fight for his life in crosswind sandstorms he can say: "No. I'm going to a sunny and beautiful race."
UAE doesn't need appearance money for their own race and, as far as nationalistic pride goes they'd rather keep the winner of the biggest race winning it. The promoting side may have over-suggested his presence to get a deeper field. It may have been a question that didn't need an explanation since no other teams are complaining about his situation. Remco....is he weighing in on this?
My guess is he'll cross this off next year's agenda after the first sandy crosswind.

Pogacar has won the TdF and other nice races. He has an idea how to prepare and, if his own personal program suggests he doesn't want to fight for his life in crosswind sandstorms he can say: "No. I'm going to a sunny and beautiful race."
UAE doesn't need appearance money for their own race and, as far as nationalistic pride goes they'd rather keep the winner of the biggest race winning it. The promoting side may have over-suggested his presence to get a deeper field. It may have been a question that didn't need an explanation since no other teams are complaining about his situation. Remco....is he weighing in on this?
My guess is he'll cross this off next year's agenda after the first sandy crosswind.
So, they really did F with Remco.

I doubt he'll win. A good Remco wouldn't lose 35 seconds on Ganna on that climb in Argentinia even if he did screw uw tactically.
Last year he got dropped in Suisse and Catalunya and TA before peaking at Vuelta. I imagine he'll follow the same kind of scedule of last year.

I think he'll have 3 massive goals this year, Giro in May, WC in August and Lombardy in October. Everything in between will be less important due to build up and training camps.

I doubt he'll win. A good Remco wouldn't lose 35 seconds on Ganna on that climb in Argentinia even if he did screw uw tactically.
Last year he got dropped in Suisse and Catalunya and TA before peaking at Vuelta. I imagine he'll follow the same kind of scedule of last year.

I think he'll have 3 massive goals this year, Giro in May, WC in August and Lombardy in October. Everything in between will be less important due to build up and training camps.
I agree, but I do find it weird how inconsistent he is sometimes. Last year in the beginning of the year he was quite good, Valencia and Algarve. Now he seems to not even be close to that form.

He was also still coming back from the crash with inconsistent perfs but growing. And at least a full winter training behind him.

He desperately wanted to measure himself.

He doesn’t need to do that any more.

He can now prep fully for only his objectives like he did Vuelta last year. San Sebastián was a bonus. As LBL will be this year. Not an objective.

I expect some indications of form at Catalunya (like Itzulia last year). No need for more.

He never rides a race just for preparation. He may not be stressed anymore due to his bigger goals but I doubt he will ever start a race, and in most cases even a single stage of a stage race, without the intention to win it (himself or his team). So I am sure he starts the UAE tour to measure himself against the other contenders. I bet he is annoyed Pogacar is absent.

He was also still coming back from the crash with inconsistent perfs but growing. And at least a full winter training behind him.

He desperately wanted to measure himself.

He doesn’t need to do that any more.

He can now prep fully for only his objectives like he did Vuelta last year. San Sebastián was a bonus. As LBL will be this year. Not an objective.

I expect some indications of form at Catalunya (like Itzulia last year). No need for more.
To the bolded, I don't think San Sebastian was a bonus, but confirmation that he was ready for the Vuelta. LBL should be for the Giro what San Sebastian was for the Vuelta last year. Doubtless defending his title in Liege is, moreover, an objective, just not as big as the Giro, but an objective nonetheless and as a Belgian no less. So he won't take the start to finish second. In any case, he will be in great shape by then, because if he is not he won't be ready for the Giro. So he will.

As for Catalunya, it will be different than the Basque Country last year, because he is building for the Giro not the Vuelta, so it's difficult to gauge how he will go. Catalunya runs from 20-26 March, whereas the grande partenza of the Giro is on 6 May. With 6 weeks between them, in theory Remco could hit a first peak to then take an active rest before the final Giro build-up. Otherwise he could be a tad below really good form, although I doubt the team would bring him to such a hard stage race if he weren't in competative shape for victory, but we shall see.

Last edited:
Wait, so you come to that conclusion based on what I said? Please, read it again.
IMO Pogacar could give a f k. He's a racer and will have fun. You overestimate Remco's impact on the world of cycling. Does Remco ponder Pogacar's every move? I doubt that, too.
I don't know, but they are the two biggest names of the sport and, judging by this thread, Remco is by far the most popular or at any rate the most discussed. I think you underestimate this.

So don't think for a moment Pogi could care less about Evenepoel and vice versa. I was being facetious, but only to a point, since in cycling mind games are historically a fact. Now I'm not saying that's the reason why Tadej has pulled out of UAE, but I wouldn't be surprised either if it were. For a major reason Remco is going to the Middle East was to race against Pogacar. Now that the latter won't be at the start this in some way disrupts the plan. It is odd though that Pogacar isn't doing his team's title event, aparently for a stomach bug he had in January, when last year's program went so well for him through Flanders.

TRENDING THREADS