• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 562 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
A lengthy interview with Remco about fashion

View: https://youtu.be/cloGBRLsZuY
I liked how he confirmed, almost to a word, what I said about Liege being a goal before tackling the Giro, as San Sebastian was in anticipation of the Vuelta last year. He talked about a long build-up then one, good and fresh day (Liege) before it's on to the grande partenza. What this means for the next races, shall be interesting to see. At the impending UAE Tour he should still be under tone, by Catalunya in quite good shape.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, according to Wikipedia that would indeed seem to be the case. Italy has 166 total medals or which 56 gold, to Belgium's Total 119 medals of which 45 gold. Welcome back.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_at_the_UCI_Road_World_Championships
Thanks. Yes, i just thought it was a bit strange when interviewing the current WC of the Men's Elite category, where Italy will be trailing for a few decades at least, to include all these other categories in order to claim top spot. As if winning the most Junior medals is the benchmark.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, i just thought it was a bit strange when interviewing the current WC of the Men's Elite category, where Italy will be trailing for a few decades at least, to include all these other categories in order to claim top spot. As if winning the most Junior medals is the benchmark.
Clearly that's because the interviewer is a Castelli rep, if I understood correctly, and in the beginning he asked Remco about his dad purchasing him a squadra azzurra jersey of the brand. Of course, it was all about talking up Italy and Italian cycling, which, it is true bar Ganna is going through a dark period, in light of the upcoming Giro. So I don't think it was odd, but the expected publicity pitch in favor of the home brand and GT. At any rate, with Nibali's retirement and a dirth of current talents now and in the forseeable future to fill his shoes, with no new Bettini or above all Pantani either, one can only boast, although indeed correctly, about past achievments. At the same time, the Giro and the tifosi are utterly pleased and feel fortunate to have Remco in the Corsa Rosa this year. Naturally they'd rather have their own champion, a new Pantani more than another Nibali, to get all worked up about. It will doubtless take years, although hopefully not decades. In the meantime, probably Remco will be greatly cheered along the strade d'Italia.

Last edited:
As much as people can write the essays on how Remco timing will be timeing his peak and prep races and other topics, if he loses UAE tour to Pello Bilbao, Adam Yates and Emanuele Buchman, people will definitely be freaking out here, the thread will hit 1000 pages. I would quite enjoy that to be honest.
Yes, I’m sure at that point you’ll suggest he should be working for the guy who through no lack of ability, through the ineptitude of his sporting directors, and by bad injury luck, has been denied the chance to show us he’s the true Campionissimo. The legendary Fausto Cop…sorry…Masnada.

I don't know, but they are the two biggest names of the sport and, judging by this thread, Remco is by far the most popular or at any rate the most discussed. I think you underestimate this.

So don't think for a moment Pogi could care less about Evenepoel and vice versa. I was being facetious, but only to a point, since in cycling mind games are historically a fact. Now I'm not saying that's the reason why Tadej has pulled out of UAE, but I wouldn't be surprised either if it were. For a major reason Remco is going to the Middle East was to race against Pogacar. Now that the latter won't be at the start this in some way disrupts the plan. It is odd though that Pogacar isn't doing his team's title event, aparently for a stomach bug he had in January, when last year's program went so well for him through Flanders.
So gastroenteritis in January made training tough. That seems like a good reason not to travel to the Middle East and stress out. Would that quell your conspiracy notions somewhat?

So gastroenteritis in January made training tough. That seems like a good reason not to travel to the Middle East and stress out. Would that quell your conspiracy notions somewhat?
No conspiracy, but, as usual, they tell us very little, which leaves room (intentionally?) to speculate. Cycling teams are like the state, they never tell the whole story. This is L'Equipe's report.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur...eprise-et-reste-en-espagne-en-fevrier/1380395

Then in this CN article Pogacar said that the races he's going to start with in Spain are "harder than the UAE Tour." So let me get this straight, bouncing back from gastroenteritis he opts not to defend his victory in his team's title race, while choses to begin his season with harder races? Makes perfect sense. Nothing to question here, move along.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/po...-monday-at-spanish-version-of-strade-bianche/

Last edited:
  • Wow
No conspiracy, but, as usual, they tell us very little, which leaves room (intentionally?) to speculate. Cycling teams are like the state, they never tell the whole story. This is L'Equipe's report.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur...eprise-et-reste-en-espagne-en-fevrier/1380395

Then in this CN article Pogacar said that the races he's going to start with in Spain are "harder than the UAE Tour." So let me get this straight, bouncing back from gastroenteritis he opts not to defend his victory in his team's title race, while choses to begin his season with harder races? Makes perfect sense. Nothing to question here, move along.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/po...-monday-at-spanish-version-of-strade-bianche/

Maybe he just didnt want to ride the UAE Tour. Team is confident that Yates and Vine can get it done for the team.

Pog can stay in Europe and ride better/harder races, while other riders travel around the world in their build up for the season.

Maybe he just didnt want to ride the UAE Tour. Team is confident that Yates and Vine can get it done for the team.

Pog can stay in Europe and ride better/harder races, while other riders travel around the world in their build up for the season.
Which sort of confirms my only slightly facetious provocation that, in some way, the intention with the team was to render Remco's voyage to the Middle East needless. The only reasons why Remco has UAE Tour on his program are if he's getting an appearance fee and because Pogacar was supposed to be riding. And cycling wise, only the latter was useful.

Which sort of confirms my only slightly facetious provocation that, in some way, the intention with the team was to render Remco's voyage to the Middle East needless. The only reasons why Remco has UAE Tour on his program are if he's getting an appearance fee and because Pogacar was supposed to be riding. And cycling wise, only the latter was useful.

I dont think it was a smoke screen to send Remco on a dummy mission or a big conspiracy. Things are often far more simple.

You choose what you believe in though, I guess.

I find it far more plausible they want the WC jersey at the race and a fee being paid. An obligation that comes with being the world champion and this is a race where you can really get paid for it. Who knows... maybe UCI even gives a bonus if he races on multiple contitents in the jersey.

I dont think it was a smoke screen to send Remco on a dummy mission or a big conspiracy. Things are often far more simple.

You choose what you believe in though, I guess.

I find it far more plausible they want the WC jersey at the race and a fee being paid. An obligation that comes with being the world champion and this is a race where you can really get paid for it. Who knows... maybe UCI even gives a bonus if he races on multiple contitents in the jersey.
I'm not convinced about what he and the team are saying, namely the stomach bug is the root cause and suddenly claiming "mixing the program" is preferable. Why? Last year he was in perfect shape following the "old" program (UAE-Strade Bianche-Tirreno-MSR-Flanders-Liege that was x-ed). In cycling you don't change a tried and true formula on a whim. It's not conspiracy theory, just perplexed doubt.

PS. And now he has just blasted away solo for 36 in a debut race win in Spain. So now I'll state it, the stomach bug story, at least if being the reason not to go to UAE Tour was BS, a ruse.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Oldermanish
I'm not convinced about what he and the team are saying, namely the stomach bug is the root cause and suddenly claiming "mixing the program" is preferable. Why? Last year he was in perfect shape following the "old" program (UAE-Strade Bianche-Tirreno-MSR-Flanders-Liege that was x-ed). In cycling you don't change a tried and true formula on a whim. It's not conspiracy theory, just perplexed doubt.

PS. And now he has just blasted away solo for 36 in a debut race win in Spain. So now I'll state it, the stomach bug story, at least if being the reason not to go to UAE Tour was BS, a ruse.

Ok, I don’t believe in that conspiracy.

Looked like Pog just had fun and wanted to race this race today. Maybe he looked at Andalucia and thought the same.

He has done UAE and won it twice already. Vine being as good as he was in TDU, it is better to stop in UAE for him than going straight back from Australia with the time difference. He has a good chance on winning the race and the MTFs suits him there. And the team has Yates just for good measure!

It just makes a lot of sense. No big conspiracy. He is living rent-free in his rivals heads if they think anything else.

Ok, I don’t believe in that conspiracy.

Looked like Pog just had fun and wanted to race this race today. Maybe he looked at Andalucia and thought the same.

He has done UAE and won it twice already. Vine being as good as he was in TDU, it is better to stop in UAE for him than going straight back from Australia with the time difference. He has a good chance on winning the race and the MTFs suits him there. And the team has Yates just for good measure!

It just makes a lot of sense. No big conspiracy. He is living rent-free in his rivals heads if they think anything else.
Why do you keep calling it a conspiracy theory? He and his team are free to do whatever they want of course, but saying "he is living rent-free in his rivals heads if they think anything else," which I agree with, is de facto playing a mind game. There is nothing wrong with that, happens all the time in the sport. I think given that Vine is in fine form (and Yates should be really strong too), by sending him from Australia to UAE, while, yes, makes sense travel wise, has the added measure of perhaps having the second best guy on team beat Remco. It's a way to play mental games with a big adversary. And even if Vine doesn't beat Remco, Evenepoel will be left wondering about a missed encounter and thus Pog without answers until Liege.

At any rate, it's a shame we have to wait until Liege to see he and Remco face eachother. Although perhaps not, because from the looks of things so far Tadej seems in better shape at the moment. Yet we shall certainly know more after UAE Tour and Andalucia.

Last edited:
Why do you keep calling it a conspiracy theory? He and his team are free to do whatever they want of course, but saying "he is living rent-free in his rivals heads if they think anything else," which I agree with, is de facto playing a mind game. There is nothing wrong with that, happens all the time in the sport. I think, given that Vine is in fine form (and Yates should be realyl strong too), by sending him from Australia to UAE, while, yes, makes sense travel wise, has the added measure of perhaps having the second best guy on team beat Remco. It's a way to play mental games with a big adversary. And even if Vine doesn't beat Remco, Evenepoel will be left wondering about a missed encounter and thus Pog without answers until Liege.

At any rate, it's a shame we have to wait until Liege to see he and Remco face eachother. Although perhaps not, because from the looks of things so far Tadej seems in better shape at the moment. Yet we shall certainly know more after UAE Tour and Andalucia.

Because there is no evidence. We dont know. It is just speculation. A conspiracy.
Not tryna pick a fight about that, if you have a problem with the wording.

From a sporting standpoint it is way better that Pog didnt go, since I rather see them go toe-to-toe when they are both in good form rather than what would have probably happened at UAE. Nobody would like that, unless you are very biased towards one part.

I will not fall into the pit that this was a strategic move to lure Remco to ride UAE. Probably just a lot of commercial reasons at play here.

Pog also seems to be wanting to add new races to his palmares rather than winning the same races over and over again, except for the Tour for now but that is because of sponsor reasons.

Going P-N instead of T-A is nice... maybe he will do Dauphine instead of Slovenia as well? Would be fun.

Last edited:
Because there is no evidence. We dont know. It is just speculation. A conspiracy.
Not tryna pick a fight about that, if you have a problem with the wording.

From a sporting standpoint it is way better that Pog didnt go, since I rather see them go toe-to-toe when they are both in good form rather than what would have probably happened at UAE. Nobody would like that, unless you are very biased towards one part.

I will not fall into the pit that this was a strategic move to lure Remco to ride UAE. Probably just a lot of commercial reasons at play here.

Pog also seems to be wanting to add new races to his palmares rather than winning the same races over and over again, except for the Tour for now but that is because of sponsor reasons.

Going P-N instead of T-A is nice... maybe he will do Dauphine instead of Slovenia as well? Would be fun.
Of course it's speculation ("conspiracy" seems too strong of a word). That too happens all the time and often with good reason, as the teams are pretty top secret about the true nature of their plans, precisely not to give adversaries too much prior knowledge which could be used against them. I'm not saying the whole thing was planned from the start, only that the stomach bug explanation does not seem to me the whole story behind the sudden change of plans. There might thus be some strategy to it. Maybe UAE, for example, thought it best not to have Remco race against Tadej before Liege, an objective of both, since Pogacar just needs to make sure Evenpoel doesn't get a gap that can't be chased down. By contrast QS and Evenepoel have to figure how to get rid of Tadej to not get beaten in the sprint to the finish line. On thing is for certain, however, nothing is decided by chance.

On the other hand, I agree that Pog also wants to add new races to his plamares and indeed PN and a possible Dauphine would be fun.

TRENDING THREADS