• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 564 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He's in the desert

FpHdn6EXwAAytwH
Has he attacked here or has he been dropped?:)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Did Lanterne Rouge & Benji mastermind Jonas' stage 11 win on Granon?
Just listened to the Geriant Thomas podcast with Jonas Vingegaard interview.
Jonas says that they planned stage 11 since December and mentions 'satellite riders'
This is a term I dont think too common, but i hear it all the time on the LRCP podcast.

Also in their TDF preview podcast LR picks Jonas for that stage and also discusses Wout in the early break taking the sprint points and satellite riders too.
interesting....
Is he going to be a father?
Judging by the wives, Pogi 2.0 will be better than Remco 2.0, but Remco 2.0 might have the drive train of a sprinter. And Remco looks like a boy with his celebrity crush.

He's been bred to be a Pro. He's not racing Tadej anytime soon and money in the bank is just that. It won't hurt his career.
He knows what it's like to be exiled in injury Siberia and how quick a career can go away, I'd hope. His DS has a long history of finding another New Thing so some dough couldn't hurt.
Also; better not to get sick in cold weather unless the race demands it.
PL isn't finding a New Thing anytime soon, unless RE cannot beat Pogacar at the Tour.

PL isn't finding a New Thing anytime soon, unless RE cannot beat Pogacar at the Tour.
If there is a New Thing they will find Patrick. RE has a long career ahead of him whether he can with Le Tour or not. Belgians may be disappointed but he's destined to win many races. Enjoy it and the comment was only meant to highlight LeFevre's pattern of discarding riders after their results don't fit his budget; not to disparage Remco.

If there is a New Thing they will find Patrick. RE has a long career ahead of him whether he can with Le Tour or not. Belgians may be disappointed but he's destined to win many races. Enjoy it and the comment was only meant to highlight LeFevre's pattern of discarding riders after their results don't fit his budget; not to disparage Remco.
Sure, but I meant that since Patrick has already invested in Remco long term, he won't be able to afford a New Thing until Evenepoel's contract is up AND if he does not win the Tour. Because if he wins the Tour, he'll get an even more lucrative contract.

Patrick has effectively stated that he would be stupid to have invested so heavily in Remco if Evenepoel doesn't pull through. At the time, however, nobody saw Pogacar coming so good nor Vingegaard for that matter. At any rate, Patrick can only now spend his money on building a Tour team around Remco. So there won't be any New Thing over the horizon, not for a while at least.

Last edited:
Sure, but I meant that since Patrick has already invested in Remco long term, he won't be able to afford a New Thing until Evenepoel's contract is up AND if he does not win the Tour. Because if he wins the Tour, he'll get an even more lucrative contract.

Patrick has effectively stated that he would be stupid to have invested so heavily in Remco if Evenepoel doesn't pull through. At the time, however, nobody saw Pogacar coming so good nor Vingegaard for that matter. At any rate, Patrick can only now spend his money on building a Tour team around Remco. So there won't be any New Thing over the horizon, not for a while at least.
Soudal specifically stated they intend to have more GC options than just Evenepoel. Maybe with Van Wilder breaking through this year, they won't have to wait that long. Not that i assume he will become better than Pogacar, but then again who will? Nobody expected Vingegaard to beat him either. Of the up and comers who do you see that might eventually do so? Ayuso? Uijtdebroeks? So if not for those two, the likely competitor will come out of leftfield, Vingegaard/Froome style.

Soudal specifically stated they intend to have more GC options than just Evenepoel. Maybe with Van Wilder breaking through this year, they won't have to wait that long. Not that i assume he will become better than Pogacar, but then again who will? Nobody expected Vingegaard to beat him either. Of the up and comers who do you see that might eventually do so? Ayuso? Uijtdebroeks? So if not for those two, the likely competitor will come out of leftfield, Vingegaard/Froome style.
Given that QS wants to become a GT powerhouse, like Jumbo-Visma, like UAE, like Ineos, it's normal they want other options. However, when push comes to shove with the Tour it's Remco all the way, unless he proves not up to the task. Of course, I hope he is capable. So I see the next 3 years or so him being THE guy it all revolves around for Soudal.