• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 566 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I think it's generally an asspulled number. I don't think they're ever talking about either %of peak W/kg or the the difference between form after winter break compared to peak form.
Remco does talk about this. Not exact numbers but he always analyses his data and lets the media know if it was his best or not. So if he says he’s at 85-90% I actually think that’s correct, based on whatever metric he uses and compares it with his Vuelta form.

The TTT now could already seal the deal if there are big gaps after between Evenepoel, Bilbao and Plapp, unless UAE takes the time back on the others, which is not likely.
TTT might make sure that Bilbao is out of the race, but doesn't INEOS have proper riders with them? It's not like SQ has brought their A-team for this type of work. It might be more likely that Plapp takes more time.

Reactions: Sandisfan
TTT might make sure that Bilbao is out of the race, but doesn't INEOS have proper riders with them? It's not like SQ has brought their A-team for this type of work. It might be more likely that Plapp takes more time.

I would be happy if QuickStep can keep up with INEOS, Bahrain and UAE or only lose a few seconds. I don't think they're gonna be able to take time on any of these teams with their line-up but I'd be very happy if I'm proven wrong tomorrow.

Quite sure he is, yes. If Van Aert were in the same ballpark as Evenepoel, he would win a lot more races with long solo efforts, especially since his sprinting in small groups is rather suspect.

I don't think so. At Omloop last year (and Calais for that matter), it was quite evident that Van Aert is a monster there too. He just rides a bit too passively to show it often.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't think so. At Omloop last year (and Calais for that matter), it was quite evident that Van Aert is a monster there too. He just rides a bit too passively to show it often.
Van Aert is one of the best in the world, just not as good. Also Evenepoel definitely seems to keep fresh longer. After a hard race, he can still whip out a monster solo effort. Van Aert's solo efforts are generally much shorter. Remember Evenepoel's monster attack in Germany in his first season, where he had been doing a solo of i think over 100k and the peloton tore itself to shreds (and in the end needed to be motorpaced) to reel him back.
If you look at how Evenepoel (not even in top form) during the 2021 WCC was riding, and Van Aert was done while he had done 0 work himself. When Evenepoel goes, 9 out of 10 he's gone.

Reactions: Big Doopie
The problem with Remco is that he generates so little draft, that he will demolisch any rider that is willing to go mano a mano in any kind of Trofeo Baracchi (2 man attack).

Remco gets all the draft by other riders, but he doesn't give much back in return. Very selfish in terms of draft.
I wonder how big the difference is. I know some research group in Leuven/Eindhoven did a lot of work on CFD simulations about the effects of drafting in groups, TTTs, and even the effects of the car behind a rider in TTTs, but to my knowledge they haven't published anything about the dynamics of riders of different sizes.

I do think when riders complain "you have no draft behidn Evenepoel" they just mean it's less, not that there is none, and generally riders with a CdA that low (so even smaller riders than Evenepoel) will simply not go nearly as fast as Evenepoel does.

Reactions: Extinction

Latest posts